Is it really worth buying Premium brand tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well it is early days yet .Just had the Landsail tires fitted 205 x 60 x 15 x 4 and i find they are as good as the Avons they removed . The Avons were hard due to the sun . I would not mind but i have 4 wheel covers ,, and i never used them .You can get them off ebay,, they use these covers in the paint shop to stop overspray when spraying the cars ,they are made of white canvas with a good wire insert that makes fitting them easy ..

You can if you try Glanton no one is asking you for your dib .Its sorted for me .Not you cup of tea i can see ,,well you can do just what you want to do,, i have. If i did a lot of miles at speed i would have better tires fitted .For me i dont do rocket star ship miles , and i dont need to stop on a sixpence doing 90 mph . I treat my car as an old woman , and just need shoes to walk ,, not trainers to run in

I thought pmcgsmurf was making a tounge in cheek comment that the brand name could cause some to associate sailing across the tarmac rather than gripping it....Not a brand choice dig.

I thought pmcgsmurf was making a tounge in cheek comment that the brand name could cause some to associate sailing across the tarmac rather than gripping it....Not a brand choice dig.
Could be perceived as either I guess. But I'm sure all can see the tongue in cheek-ness of both Pat's and my comments ;):)

Reactions: AW8
Brand new 'Tekniikan Maailma' magazine test results after througthful 8 level test program

1. Michelin Primacy 4 - 9,1p
2. Continental PremiumContact 6 - 8,8p
Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 - 8,8p
4. Nokian HakkaBlue 2 - 8,6p
5. Landsail Sentury Qiri 990 - 8,4p
6. Bridgestone Tuaranza T005 - 8,2p
7. Toyo Proxes Comfort - 8,1p
8. Sava Intensa HP 2 - 8,0p
9. Kumho Ecsta HS71 - 7,8p
10. Hankook Ventus Prime 3 - 7,7p
Westlake ZuperEco Z-107 - 7,7p
12. Cooper Zeon CS8 - 7,5p
CST Medallion MD-A1 - 7,5p

Well it is my pick and i choose cheap tyres to sit on my drive just rotting out .If i was doing motorway miles than the quality tyres would be my choice .Dont look down your nose at Landsail you need to do a little serch on these tyres and if you have been out of the county the plane you came back in to the uk it is possibility that the plane would have LANDSAIL tyres on it . Mind you idont think they make rubber band tyres to fit 18-20 inch rims ..

IMHO it’s purely a personal choice. If you’re happy with Landsail tyres that’s fine for you. My latest long journey having just returned home to the Island from a few days visiting family in North Yorkshire is a perfect example for me as to why I won’t personally compromise on rubber. Very differing kinds of both road and weather conditions coupled with my somewhat aggressive style of driving was the perfect test for tyres, and my own total peace of mind when on the journey. Fitting Michelin tyres for me is expensive but absolutely essential.

yep, landsail managed to get good result this time, this particular tyre size/batch. Its not always been do. And other chinese tyres didn't make good at all.

Its up to you guys as to what tyres you use..Me i love top brand tyres and used Avon for years . But the last set i had lasted me 3000 miles if that in 4 years . Side wall was like new because i use silicon dressing on the tyres . But the cracks and splits were in the radius of the tread. The tyre guy looked at me and said why are you swapping these for Landsail . And i showed him why .So if i only get 3000 miles out of these rubbers i can purchase another set and still be in pocket.

Its up to you guys as to what tyres you use..Me i love top brand tyres and used Avon for years . But the last set i had lasted me 3000 miles if that in 4 years . Side wall was like new because i use silicon dressing on the tyres . But the cracks and splits were in the radius of the tread. The tyre guy looked at me and said why are you swapping these for Landsail . And i showed him why .So if i only get 3000 miles out of these rubbers i can purchase another set and still be in pocket.

horses for courses . i mainly drive 7 miles each way to work and back , the odd day out to Whitby or Scarborough weather permitting , so not often :) . i too wouldnt put £200 a corner tyres on . theres just no point tbh .

im tempted by NEREUS NS601 for the rear of my e350 , but they have the name of sailfish , which puts me off , just like land sail ....

horses for courses . i mainly drive 7 miles each way to work and back , the odd day out to Whitby or Scarborough weather permitting , so not often :) . i too wouldnt put £200 a corner tyres on . theres just no point tbh .

im tempted by NEREUS NS601 for the rear of my e350 , but they have the name of sailfish , which puts me off , just like land sail ....
Used to try different premiums depending on price offers but for past few years have settled on Dunlop Bluresponse and am happy with them.

Always used Michelin in the last 20 years with very few exceptions (goodyear, hankook)
I've found the Michelin with my driving last longer and have better feeling up to the very end of the tyre life.

They cost more to buy but they are actually cheaper to run.

Well i remember back in the late 50s a good tyre on any car was good to go as long as you dont see any cords showing through .. No tread on racing car tyres ..

Back in the late 50's any speed over 40mph was a white knuckle ride, now cars do 3 figure speeds without a whisper...

Well i remember back in the late 50s a good tyre on any car was good to go as long as you dont see any cords showing through .. No tread on racing car tyres ..
Not actually true, there are tread depth markers on racing slicks as you don’t have a pattern wearing out to show how it’s doing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom