Is it worth getting a car code reader from Amazon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benjaminD

Car
None at the moment.
Hi folks,

I am still looking for my e class and whilst watching a ChrisFix video he talks about a car code reader for any 'hidden' or cleared issues.

I've been on Amazon but not sure what readers would work with Mercs?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...d-keywords=car+code+reader&tag=amazon0e9db-21

Has anyone used one on an eclass, apologies in advance if the question sounds dumb. Just trying to do my research and not get burnt.

Cheers!

Ben.

Do you have an android phone?

If so, a cheap Elm327 Bluetooth OBDII reader and a few apps (TorqueHD is my favourite) are a good combo.

Do you have an android phone?

If so, a cheap Elm327 Bluetooth OBDII reader and a few apps (TorqueHD is my favourite) are a good combo.

Yeah I do and I have an iphone too, will look into this cheers :)

For iphone you need one of the newer bluetooth LE ones but these non-MB specific ones can only access the ECU.
Take a look at icarsoft for MB specific.

For iphone you need one of the newer bluetooth LE ones but these non-MB specific ones can only access the ECU.
Take a look at icarsoft for MB specific.
Thanks for that. Just had a look at the icarsoft one and they are expensive £200! Just want to check for cleared codes lol! Thanks for the advice :)

I have an icarsoft mb2 and on our A Class there’s no stored codes even though it spent a day with the management light on and I plugged it into my E class as well and no stored codes on that so not sure you buying one to scan a car for cleared codes is worth it but I could be wrong. Also in your hunt for an E class you maybe better off going euro 6 the way they are going with emission zones in big cities at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an icarsoft mb2 and on our A Class there’s no stored codes even though it spent a day with the management light on and I plugged it into my E class as well and no stored codes on that so not sure you buying one to scan a car for cleared codes is worth it but I could be wrong. Also in your hunt for an E class you maybe better off going euro 6 the way they are going with emission zones in big cities at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that, I will keep hunting and if nothing fruitful then heyho! Also cheers about the Euro 6 - just read this:

Euro 6 diesels could be banned in three European cities | Autocar

Learning more and more from this forum!

Cheers :)

Carly for Mercedes uses a proprietary OBDII dongle, and a mobile phone app.

It is no where as good as the iCarfoft MB v2.0, but it does do some MB-specific ECUs on top of the standard OBDII protocol.

On me 2014 W204 it recognises (and can read and clear) 27 MB-specific ECUs.

https://www.mycarly.com/en-2/

Carly for Mercedes uses a proprietary OBDII dongle, and a mobile phone app.

It is no where as good as the iCarfoft MB v2.0, but it does do some MB-specific ECUs on top of the standard OBDII protocol.

On me 2014 W204 it recognises (and can read and clear) 27 MB-specific ECUs.

https://www.mycarly.com/en-2/

Use to use CarlyforBMW and it was great.

So how does it work now? Is it 36 euros for the adapter + free software or you have to still pay on top for premium?

Use to use CarlyforBMW and it was great.

So how does it work now? Is it 36 euros for the adapter + free software or you have to still pay on top for premium?
You have to pay for the Pro version of the app in order to unlock all the features of the software. That's in addition to buying the OBDII adapter.

Thats off putting. I am contemplating a icarsoft mb v2
Yes, that's definitely the better option.

The Carly though is probably the cheaper MB-specific OBDII reader currently available.

Thanks for that. Just had a look at the icarsoft one and they are expensive £200! Just want to check for cleared codes lol! Thanks for the advice :)

There is also an icarsoft i980 at <£100. You'll need to check the coverage for your vehicle to decide if the MB2 is worth it over this one.

There is also an icarsoft i980 at <£100. You'll need to check the coverage for your vehicle to decide if the MB2 is worth it over this one.
Thank you, will check it out :)

OP, if you own any Mercedes Benz of 'a certain age' £200 for a GOOD OBD scanner is cheap it will pay for itself in no time, and if you don't like spending £200 now and again stay away from used Mercedes Benz.

OP, if you own any Mercedes Benz of 'a certain age' £200 for a GOOD OBD scanner is cheap it will pay for itself in no time, and if you don't like spending £200 now and again stay away from used Mercedes Benz.

Hey there!

I do not mind spending out for this but want to make sure that I can use it on checking a car before I purchase it.

Cheers!

My philosophy on OBD scanners has been to buy a cheap Elm327 Bluetooth one for £5 that links with my phone and leave it in the glove box. Should I need anything better I'll buy one when the time comes. Touch wood, after nearly 4 years that hasn't been necessary.

Hey there!

I do not mind spending out for this but want to make sure that I can use it on checking a car before I purchase it.

Cheers!
In one of your posts you stated that £200 for a OBD reader was expensive. I stand by what I said , if you think £200 is a lot of money for a decent OBD reader do NOT buy an old Mercedes Benz.

PS do not buy an iCarsoft from Amazon unless it's from iCarsoft themselves. There are copies out there and there are readers with dodgy software that can not be upgraded. I have an iCarsoft MB11 (it was almost the first thing I bought after buying an 11 year old Mercedes Benz..money very well spent, cost less than 3 tanks of fuel) I bought it direct from iCarsoft and I upgrade it for free online whenever I feel like it.

it is supported by them and it works well. :thumb:

£200? I have seen them for circa £140 on eBay from authorised sellers. Seems a bargain given we have a few mercs in the family now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom