Is it worth getting a E220/270/280 as a replacement for an E320?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Excognito

Car
Mercedes-Benz W211 E320 estate; Volvo V70 R AWD Phase I with LPG mod.
I'm looking for an E-Class estate to replace my written-off 02-plate E320 CDi. I've got a maximum of £10,000 in mind, putting me in the 06 range, but would clearly like to spend as little of that as reasonable! :D

I'm after another E-Class because I want the 7 seats, but if I could improve on the economy without compromising performance too much, I'd consider a smaller engine. My E320's average economy was between 36 and 40 mpg, depending upon driving style, despite the engine running cool (a thermostat change was top of the list of some servicing I was going to have done).

The odd thing is, when I look at the figures for the E250, E270 and E280, they don't seem to offer any economy gain despite the drop in power, torque and acceleration. (I know that the 250 is actually the same engine as the 220 and the 280 the same engine as the 320)

So the question is, in the real world, what are these "smaller" engines really like? Do they give noticeably better economy? Do they still feel like they're "quick" cars?

--------------------

For info, my regular commute is about 70 miles per day, mostly relatively free-flowing motorway, plus lots of weekend local running around and frequent longer journeys of a few hundred miles. Occasionally, I tow a 4-berth caravan around hilly places.

I've had a few people suggest that that E220 Cdi has good performance. However, whilst I'm waiting for the insurance to pay out for old car, I've got a 62-plate Vauxhall Insignia diesel, which (on paper) seems to have similar performance to the older E220 and, I have to say, whilst it's adequate (for values of adequate) I'm not that impressed - it lacks the quick boost to overtake safely in busy driving conditions, just generally feels fussy about gear selection and I feel as if I'm having to work when driving (by comparison to my old E320 and my Volvo R70). So, I've kind of ruled out a late S210 or early S211.

I'm looking for an E-Class estate to replace my written-off 02-plate E320 CDi. ...

I'm after another E-Class because I want the 7 seats, ...
My E320's average economy was between 36 and 40 mpg
I would consider an R-Class (the 4-wheel drive is appealing) but the official fuel consumption doesn't seem to put it anywhere near the E320, and works out at about a £600 a year difference fuel wise, assuming the R would return about 32 mpg.

For me stick with the 320 engine. You use the seven seats therefore you need the old 320 dragging your load around. Anything else will be a disappointment.

I would consider an R-Class (the 4-wheel drive is appealing) but the official fuel consumption doesn't seem to put it anywhere near the E320, and works out at about a £600 a year difference fuel wise, assuming the R would return about 32 mpg.

You have to be a very steady driver to get over 30mpg in a R320cdi. I've managed 36mpg once on a steady run to Gatwick but that was ideal conditions and a one off.

In terms of which engine suits the e class. The 220 will return better mpg around town but the gap is very small for motorway miles.

You have to be a very steady driver to get over 30mpg in a R320cdi. I've managed 36mpg once on a steady run to Gatwick but that was ideal conditions and a one off.
Thanks, that confirms what I'd been reading and kind of rules the R-Class out - although the 4WD is attractive ... OTOH, it maybe makes getting rid of my V70R an option (the V70R only manages about 32 mpg equivalent on LPG and is getting a bit long in the tooth now, and I only really keep it for the 4WD in bad weather as the E320 took over the towing role).

In terms of which engine suits the e class. The 220 will return better mpg around town but the gap is very small for motorway miles.
Apart from any potential tax /insurance reason, it makes me wonder why the 280 exists?

Cost from new.

Hence a mid priced E280 :D

My father went for a W210 E280 (from new) because the next model was pushing his budget.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom