Is it worth remapping my SLK55?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m3xgr

Car
Mercedes-Benz SLK55 AMG
Hey all- seen lots of good deals to remap to gain 20bhp and improve mpg - but... Is it worth it? Has anyone done this? Does it put more strain on components? I have heard a remap can improve the wellbeing and running of your car.

Advice is welcomed! (not that it's not quick enough already!)

Thanks

No its not worth it... My previous was a 05 CLK55 Cab, I remapped it, de-catted it and panel filtered it.... It sounded awesome with the decat hence everyone doing it, but the normally aspirated 55 lump is the best its gonna get as is!!
I still miss it....
What you already have is a missile.. so de-cat it to release the V8 and leave the rest alone....

Like Baldguy says, for what the cost implications are, you will never get a noticeable gain from a normally aspirated V8.

I don't think you'd feel 20bhp more in a 380+ car, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had mine (SLK55, not the troll mobile) remapped by DMS.

It gave it a noticable mid range shove.

It also removed the limiter. needed for a few runs down some runway somewhere.

You can always have it put back to standard if you don't like it.

Tell the insurers.

No its not worth it... My previous was a 05 CLK55 Cab, I remapped it, de-catted it and panel filtered it.... It sounded awesome with the decat hence everyone doing it, but the normally aspirated 55 lump is the best its gonna get as is!!
I still miss it....
What you already have is a missile.. so de-cat it to release the V8 and leave the rest alone....

^^perfect advice^^ non turbo so no point, get the sound from the V8, I did the same on my CLK and it sounded fab..

I would personally remap it along side something like headers,

which is why i've bought these headers;:D
DSCF3181.jpg

I'm fitting the headers and having my ECU remaped, hoping to hit the 400+ mark!;)

Olly, just give me a few weeks and i'll phone you to book me in, it will have to be one weekend. :)

Thanks for all the ideas- where do you suggest I remove cat- do I need to source a cat replacement pipe? And how much £££

Cheers!

I had mine (SLK55, not the troll mobile) remapped by DMS.

It gave it a noticable mid range shove.

It also removed the limiter. needed for a few runs down some runway somewhere.

You can always have it put back to standard if you don't like it.

Tell the insurers.

How much did DMS charge? Did u see an mpg increase on motorway cruising?
Cheers

Thanks for all the ideas- where do you suggest I remove cat- do I need to source a cat replacement pipe? And how much £££

Cheers!

The ones I bought are simple bolt on's and should give around 18-21bhp, (based on people's results) plus ECU remap should give you around 20-25bhp, it will all add up!

you be looking at £700 plus P&P

How much did DMS charge? Did u see an mpg increase on motorway cruising?
Cheers

around £800 and they claim to hit 400bhp which is total rubbish!

The ones I bought are simple bolt on's and should give around 18-21bhp, (based on people's results) plus ECU remap should give you around 20-25bhp, it will all add up!

you be looking at £700 plus P&P

around £800 and they claim to hit 400bhp which is total rubbish!

Seriously? 700 quid for a cat replacement pipe? Where would you purchase from? I remember de-catting my evo6 for about 100 quid!

As the pipe is for a Mercedes they probably think of a number double it and add a little more.

:)

Lol yea true... Although I was pleasantly pleased to find out a Service 2 at MB is only 299 Inc vat! The m3's were always 500ish

Seriously? 700 quid for a cat replacement pipe? Where would you purchase from? I remember de-catting my evo6 for about 100 quid!

Maybe he is talking about the cost of the headers?

Benzedup is referring to the manifolds ("headers") costing £700. Allow half that for good quality cat replacements on an AMG.

Also, remember there are two pipes on a V8 compared to one on an I4 engine, so double the cost for that, and consider the length of replacement pipework.

Gotchya! Ok so who can point me in the right direction of getting the cat pipes and sorting them to be fit them? Thanks all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom