Is it wrong to like a Smart?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter DLM

MB Enthusiast
Car
19 reg CLS 350d, 67 reg AMG GT R Caterham Levante
Since selling my car I've been borrowing a 61 reg Smart Passion with the 84hp petrol turbo engine. Sadly, and annoyingly, it's dawned on me that it suits my day to day requirements very well, making me question the need for my planned E or SL 55 :doh:

My client will also give me the use of a brand new one for a year for £1500, which should see out my time here in Milton Keynes.

I must be maturing or something :( because I'm thinking of just using the Smart for a year. The cost of it not even 50% of my expected fuel bill of the 55. :wallbash:

I've got a trip to visit my brother in deepest Hertforshire today, I'll see how it performs on a 100 mile round trip

For trips not suited to the Smart I can hire cheaply something more suitable.

Is it logical to like a Smart...yes
Is it wrong to like a Smart...yes

I'm just hoping the novelty factor wears off quickly.:doh:

I miss my Smart car - it was a much older one than the OP's but still great fun to extract every last ounce of "performance". Still returned 45-50mgpg whilst doing so!

It now delivers curries in Manchester - a fitting end me thinks!

Peter de la Pizzaboy - sounds good to me :thumb:.

5 x E63 S211's on Ebay at the mo Pete, some with low mileage.

Perfect solution would be both, which I'll also investigate.

I had the misfortune to get extensive use of a SMART as a courtesy car on the many occasions when my 211 needed to visit the garage. Must admit, I thought it was great at first. It was bright orange, and attracted more attention than any other car I have driven. The gear changes were so bad they made me laugh out loud (bit like a Citroen C4), and it vibrated so much on rough surfaces that my dentures nearly fell out: hours of fun:D!!

Well, maybe hours is overstating it, as the novelty soon wore off, particularly when doing any kind of distance. I actually struggle to think of a less pleasant driving experience, although I'm sure if I started a thread on that topic there would be plenty of candidates. There must be better ways to get around without spending loads of money?

You may as well hand in your man badge along with your ****** if you get a Smart car.

HTH

This was a Smart For Two...

99d4ad6a.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I suspect most small hatchbacks would have looked the same after being sandwiched between two big trucks (assuming the pic. is for real).

I once saw a 2CV that had been demolished by a truck - the only recognisable bit was the boot lid ...

It's not a smart in the pic. Smarts have 3-stud wheel retention - that has 5.
A spoof for the small-car hating Yanks.

OP: Be man! Stand up to them! Get that smart!

PS. Around town and in the real twisties - you'll leave them for dead.

It's not a smart in the pic. Smarts have 3-stud wheel retention - that has 5.

I also spotted that, along with the twisted metal panels, which would be difficult on a Smart as they are composite plastic.

Myth Busted...:D

That car running on 5 stud wheels means it must have been a larger, heavy car, possibly a people carrier.

I also spotted that, along with the twisted metal panels, which would be difficult on a Smart as they are composite plastic.

Myth Busted...:D

That car running on 5 stud wheels means it must have been a larger, heavy car, possibly a people carrier.

A myth I debunk ten times each year!
Think it was a smallish 4WD.. RAV4 sort of thing. Thinking even it is just another Photoshop special. Not for real, that's for sure.

Go for it mate.......

My Mrs has owned 2 smarts, 1st being an early LHD model, selling that for a new RHD cabriolet, full leather, air con, muiti changer, etc etc

Looking back now, we really should have kept the car, great fun and oh so cheap to run.

If you do require a little more performance find a Brabus 101
101 BHP in a smart is sooooooooooo much fun hehe

I got a smart fortwo in the last few weeks and I love it nippy little thing great around town easy to park and cheap tax and runs on very little fuel

I Also have a few fast cars when the mood takes me

But lately I find myself driving the smart more just because it is easier around town and I dont have to mind if some one hits it it's plastic most of it

Smart - the city car that can't do potholes or speedbumps....

although they post some amazing MPG figures the standard smart my friend owns does not get those mileages

Have you driven a Toyota IQ?
Runs rings around a smart IMHO.

Also another one our friends (old customer of the shop) has the Brabus smart.
they are quite nippy but the gear change, the ride and the realisation there is no steel between me and the rest of the worlds doesn't work for me at all :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom