Is keyless go less secure?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you remove the button how will you start the car ?? Don't you mean 'hide the button from outside view' ?

Push button start is a bit of a fad that got out of control IMHO. Next all cars will have that fighter pilot type switch underneath a flip up cover...just to open the boot !

The button pops out quite easily to reveal the more conventional Mercedes key slot. The car can then be started using the key in the usual way, i.e. inserting it into the hole in the dash and turn to the right.

I just figured that if there is no button on the dash (could just be in the centre console out of sight), would be thieves might assume that the car hadn't got keyless go. :dk:

Next all cars will have that fighter pilot type switch underneath a flip up cover...just to open the boot !

now ya talkin Pete. I'd defo go for that. :bannana:

Personally I love KG. I think it's a great innovation. Keep your keys in pocket rather than fumbling around.

Remember the days of having to click your Nokia into a cradle to be able to use phones features? Now it's all Bluetooth and you can keep that in your pocket too! Same principle with keys yes?

I think the downs outweigh the ups for me on KG & similar technologies at the moment. It is a nice feature but there should need to be a 2nd layer authentication or stronger security. It is way of the world at the moment as features, functions & convenience seem to have a higher priority than security.

It is one of the reasons I started a new access control business last year. We see lots of vulnerabilities all the time so these cyber attacks & similar will be more common for some time to come unless many change their ways, thinking & procedures. As long as the security is as strong as it can be I'm up for introducing tech for sure. Just not at the detriment to security.

Security today should be our very first priority. It is very poor in lots of areas & many systems are very easy to exploit & are extremely vulnerable.

So I found out that Mercedes Benz give all customers the option to disable keyless go at a press of a button on the key.

To disable keyless go do the following.
1. Press the lock button in the keyfob twice in rapid succession. The red led will blink to confirm it disabled.

To re-enable it just press any key in the keyfob.

I have tried it myself and it works.

So now when I go to sleep for the night I disable it. This means thieves won't be able to repeat the signal and steal my car.

Hope people find this a useful tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kianok said:
Yes, but I'm not sure if the button is paired with the car so maybe a spare button would still overcome that.

Sadly the buttons aren't paired and can be put in any car , I was told this by the service guy at Mercedes , and have swapped my ml button for my e class button and it works still !!!

So I found out that Mercedes Benz give all customers the option to disable keyless go at a press of a button on the key.

1. Press the lock button in the keyfob twice in rapid succession. The red led will blink to confirm it disabled.

So now when I go to sleep for the night I disable it. This means thieves won't be able to repeat the signal and steal my car.

So this is fantastic tip. As I love keyless go. There was an article recently about a Mercedes c class being stolen by repeating the keyless go signal using a laptop and other electrical devices.

However disabling the signal from the key with two presses allows you the safety when your car is left overnight.

I tried it again this morning and it really does work and disable keyless go. This should save taking off the keyless go button and using rfid blockers.

This is what I do having just got my first MB.

The feature described deactivates the Keyless Go feature in the key and not the car so you need to make sure the spare key has been deactivated as well otherwise the signal amplifying trick used by the scumbags may still work.

Have just tested this with both keys.

Considering the significant difference in car insurance premium I get the impression the Mercs are not as vulnerable as other brands.

In typical manufacturer-speak, it is described as a feature to prolong the battery life of the key. I did this to my spare key as soon as I got the car, and have been using the double-lock 'feature' from the first time I saw remote extender exploit being used to nick one. Makes keyless go a pointless feature really. While I like the idea of the extra security of the aftermarket options out there, I can't see myself having to go through a magical sequence of switch clicks just to start the darn thing. Less bother to just use the double-lock-button thing. Might feel different if it got nicked though.

But when the wife left the car taking the fob with her, the engine did not switch off - an alert came-up on the dash but the car was otherwise drivable (but of course if I switched off the engine while the fob was not present I wouldn't have been able to start it again).
Quote.

My Granddaughter lives on a modern housing development where the front door is only the width of the pavement from the edge of the road, she had lived there for 3 years before she found that leaving the fob near to the inside of the front door caused the car to be unlocked.

The danger of keyless cars: What you need to know

I’ve always liked “gizmos” on my car and our Jaguar XF was keyless which I rather liked but reading how easy they are to nick, I’m glad our CLS doesn’t have keyless.

I once dropped the missus off at a friends house then called into the local shop for an errand. When I came out I realised I did not have the keys which were in my missus’s handbag. As I was close by I walked all the way back to her friends house for the key only to be told she didn’t have them with her and her handbag was underneath her front seat. Doh!

A company i work with now has a product called ghost which is basically (think transporter) a keypad code to be able to start the car.
For me though, spending £500ish for the option and another £3-400 to stop your car being stolen does seem a bit daft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom