Is keyless go less secure?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

claspknife

Car
Mercedes Benz c class 220 amg 2017
Hi all

So I have a car with keyless go and loving it.

So question are cars with keyless go less secure from a theft perspective? Is so, how much less secure? Would you say they are easy to steal it just *easier*

Any knowledgeable replies appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Easier....

Apparently, Ghost immobiliser is the answer.

Less secure. If pro thief want your car they will get it, whatever. However, personally I would never specify keyless on any lux car. If it was part of an essential package I'd have no choice but it would be with reluctance

Less secure. If pro thief want your car they will get it, whatever. However, personally I would never specify keyless on any lux car. If it was part of an essential package I'd have no choice but it would be with reluctance

Postcode dependent obviously. :thumb:

Good question ! BMW's are a nightmare with this it seems.

Also, I hva noticed the range on mine is crazy, key in the house for example and the car still opens, not tried to start it though.

Is there a 'delete' option?

We have it on ours. The range is about 1m from the car, but still it seems there are ways to receive and amplify the signal from the key in order to gain entry and start the car.

I guess one minor deterrent is to remove the start/stop button as that advertises keyless go.

I've got it and quite like it, but when the key is in the house overnight, I put it in a RF signal blocker pouch (£10 for 3 from Amazon), so that the code cannot be read. Works effectively, I can stand next to the car without the signal being detected.

Good question ! BMW's are a nightmare with this it seems.

Also, I hva noticed the range on mine is crazy, key in the house for example and the car still opens, not tried to start it though.

The system I had did not allow the engine to be started unless the fob was physically present inside the car. So if yhe fob was nearby but outside the car you could open the door but not start the engine.

But when the wife left the car taking the fob with her, the engine did not switch off - an alert came-up on the dash but the car was otherwise drivable (but of course if I switched off the engine while the fob was not present I wouldn't have been able to start it again).

Last edited:
As previously noted, I assume if you remove the start/ stop button - no problem ?

As previously noted, I assume if you remove the start/ stop button - no problem ?

Yes, but I'm not sure if the button is paired with the car so maybe a spare button would still overcome that.

lifes too short... enjoy driving it

Life's too short don't worry.
If they want it they'll have it, would you rather wake up and find your car gone or wake up and find three men in your bedroom with baseball bats looking for the keys ??
Haven't they been stealing cars with turn keys for a lot longer than keyless go ?
Ghost sounds brilliant ,but what happens when it stops working? It's small ,can be hidden anywhere and can't be traced! So how do you get your car going when the bloke who fitted it has moved on? Maybe they fit them in the same places so the thief can find them too !
Insurance companies don't find keyless go a problem or they would load premiums.
So what I'm trying to say is stop worrying and enjoy your car.
Mark Twain said "I've had a lot of worry in my life and most of it never happened"

Yes less secure. Much more of a problem on other manufactures KG though. The button is not paired so any button does the job (and I suspect a small screwdriver). You can get tools that repeat the signal, so you put one box near the front door of a house, one in the car, start it, collect your box from near the front door and leave :-(

I agree with Delayed Steve, most of our cars have Keyless now - came with the car, or in the case of Mercedes comes with Premium Plus package. And insurance would get loaded or they would insist on CAT-5 trackers (like happens if you own a Range Rover in London)

Richard

Yet another pointless gimmick noone wanted or needed.

Is there a 'delete' option?

We have it on ours. The range is about 1m from the car, but still it seems there are ways to receive and amplify the signal from the key in order to gain entry and start the car.

I guess one minor deterrent is to remove the start/stop button as that advertises keyless go.
If you remove the button how will you start the car ?? Don't you mean 'hide the button from outside view' ?

Push button start is a bit of a fad that got out of control IMHO. Next all cars will have that fighter pilot type switch underneath a flip up cover...just to open the boot !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom