is light hearted racism ever ok?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I totally agree. It's interesting how a few people have voiced their concerns here over the subtle slope comment whilst blatant 'racism' like Russ Abbot's Jimmy McJimmy characterisation of a Scot was just laughed at and enjoyed for what it was - humour. Of course not everyone thought it was funny, but I don't recall any complaints or calls for him to be sent to the bloody tower!

russ+abbot.jpg

Not forgetting Mike Myers/Austin Powers' 'Fat B*stard'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgfbafx137A

or , going back to 'Mind Your language' the 'I belong to Glasgow' episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDot5O0WFDs

I should point out , I'm Scottish and can still laugh at these :)

The man on the Clapham omnibus must have been spinning in his grave these past thirty years...

Surely - if he's in his grave, he's no longer on the Clapham omnibus.....

That is the name used by JC on TG.

Actually stolen from the Simpsons' I believe... a "children's" programme.

I watched a dvd last night; Paul Chowdry- What's Happenin' White People?

He was being racist towards people - Indians (all groups), Pakistanis, Nigerians, Black people, white people. And sexist towards women. He stereotyped all of these groups.

Can someone please tell me if I am permitted to find his act funny and to laugh at his racist and sexist jokes? And if I am allowed, why?

I watched a dvd last night; Paul Chowdry- What's Happenin' White People?

He was being racist towards people - Indians (all groups), Pakistanis, Nigerians, Black people, white people. And sexist towards women. He stereotyped all of these groups.

Can someone please tell me if I am permitted to find his act funny and to laugh at his racist and sexist jokes? And if I am allowed, why?

Of course you're allowed to find his act funny (although I've no idea who he is). Nobody has the right to refuse you that permission. It's how you react to his comments that sets the standard by which you wish to be judged. Whether you're shocked, disgusted or amused is for the moment and the moment alone. Those with weaker minds may well be influenced by many of his comments; influence that extends in many directions. Very many people will be concerned about perceived potential negative effects on others - I think they should worry about themselves first. Level-headed adults will either enjoy the show or turn it off, as the mood and the experience takes them, and leave it at that.

Great post. Point well put.

I see the PC industry as people with agenda hijacking decent intent with net result of breeding resentment and division. Apparently, I am racist by default because I am white and because of my job. And because of I am male, I am sexist too.
I can't tell you how many of 'racial awareness/diversity' type courses I have had to endure. It is not fun being being classed as a racist and a sexist simply by being.
And any considered, polite, respectful, innocent, reasonable question put to these teachers/lecturers/educators, sends them into a tirade about why the mere questioning (of them) proves their default position.

Welcome to the new world order.

I think you will find the following vids fascinating, as they appear to explain what has been happening to our society over the last 50+ years. I watched them a year or so ago and they made my jaw drop as I began to understand what has been going on. The PC stuff talked about in this thread fits under the banner of 'cultural marxism' - a pseudonym of Political Correctness:

1st vid: Yuri Bezmenov: Deception Was My Job (Complete) - YouTube
- ex Soviet KGB agent explains how the West is being 'communized' (made communist: Marxism)
- this might make some laugh until they study the current UN Agenda 21/Wildlands project stuff ('Sustainable Development').
- saving energy, clean water & air, and recycling are one thing, which many support, but forced land theft is a different matter entirely.

2nd vid: CULTURAL MARXISM: The Corruption of America - YouTube

At the end of the day, it seems that both Fascism and Communism are both forms of totalitarian systems that are unpleasant for the ordinary people who have to endure them.

Propaganda is key to public acceptance of the things above, so it is essential to understand how it works.

If you watch both of these vids, ask yourself if you recognise any of the things mentioned going on today.

Enjoy :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I totally agree. It's interesting how a few people have voiced their concerns here over the subtle slope comment whilst blatant 'racism' like Russ Abbot's Jimmy McJimmy characterisation of a Scot was just laughed at and enjoyed for what it was - humour. Of course not everyone thought it was funny, but I don't recall any complaints or calls for him to be sent to the bloody tower!

russ+abbot.jpg

Loosely based on his mum, I believe!

Biography

Yesterday I was very disappointed to have a few hours of great sport nearly ruined by racism. An exciting game of cricket [pause for the uneducated to claim that that's a dichotomy] was brought down to a level that made be embarrassed to be a cricket fan. One particular player was incessantly subjected to abuse by a not insubstantial section of the crowd whilst batting, bowling and whenever fielding the ball. The boos that resounded around the ground were because of his racial heritage and his religious beliefs, reminiscent of the racial taunts dished out by single-brain-celled football hooligans that have now fortunately subsided, but not disappeared. We shouldn't fool ourselves that these were pantomime boos. Just as the monkey chants that used to shame football grounds in the UK were unacceptable, so it must be unacceptable to hear a player derided for their religion or origin. It is not funny.

The difference between the deplorable football insults and this episode though was that it wasn't white cricket fans with colour intolerance. It was Indian supporters booing an English player, Moeen Ali.

Moeen was booed when he came out to bat. He was booed when he came on to bowl. He was booed most times he touched the ball. And he was booed either because he is a player of Asian origin playing for England - Ravi Bopara also attracted some boos, though far fewer - because he is Muslim or, perhaps most pertinently, because he is of Pakistani origin and the vast majority of the crowd were India supporters. It is impossible to justify these boos. It is inappropriate to dismiss them as "banter" - an invidious description used to excuse sexism, homophobia, bullying and racism in many walks of life - and it is inappropriate to dismiss them as a symptom of any rivalry that exists between Pakistan and India.

Whatever the many mistakes of the past, 21st century Britain cannot be accepting of intolerance based around race, religion, colour, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation or any other such issue. Yesterday provided a peek behind the façade of multicultural Britain. It was an ugly, depressing sight. And it should not be ignored.

knighterrant said:
Yesterday I was very disappointed to have a few hours of great sport nearly ruined by racism. An exciting game of cricket [pause for the uneducated to claim that that's a dichotomy] was brought down to a level that made be embarrassed to be a cricket fan. One particular player was incessantly subjected to abuse by a not insubstantial section of the crowd whilst batting, bowling and whenever fielding the ball. The boos that resounded around the ground were because of his racial heritage and his religious beliefs, reminiscent of the racial taunts dished out by single-brain-celled football hooligans that have now fortunately subsided, but not disappeared. We shouldn't fool ourselves that these were pantomime boos. Just as the monkey chants that used to shame football grounds in the UK were unacceptable, so it must be unacceptable to hear a player derided for their religion or origin. It is not funny. The difference between the deplorable football insults and this episode though was that it wasn't white cricket fans with colour intolerance. It was Indian supporters booing an English player, Moeen Ali. Moeen was booed when he came out to bat. He was booed when he came on to bowl. He was booed most times he touched the ball. And he was booed either because he is a player of Asian origin playing for England - Ravi Bopara also attracted some boos, though far fewer - because he is Muslim or, perhaps most pertinently, because he is of Pakistani origin and the vast majority of the crowd were India supporters. It is impossible to justify these boos. It is inappropriate to dismiss them as "banter" - an invidious description used to excuse sexism, homophobia, bullying and racism in many walks of life - and it is inappropriate to dismiss them as a symptom of any rivalry that exists between Pakistan and India. Whatever the many mistakes of the past, 21st century Britain cannot be accepting of intolerance based around race, religion, colour, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation or any other such issue. Yesterday provided a peek behind the façade of multicultural Britain. It was an ugly, depressing sight. And it should not be ignored.
Beautifully put Mr Errant. It was a dreadful example of a mob trying to intimidate an opponent - just like the simple-minded banana-flinging football fans have done in the UK & parts Europe for years...an attempt to humiliate someone because of their genetic history. We reap what we sow. Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

Is it really racism though when they're booing him because he plays for a team they don't approve of? I didn't watch it so have no idea but if it was just booing then it's not exactly a racial or religious slur just the crowd trying to find an excuse to put a player off, which may not be cricket but also not exactly racism (no more than booing Rossberg for cheating which again isn't racist).

Is it really racism though when they're booing him because he plays for a team they don't approve of?

I can't quite see (either) how being booed by people of his own ethnicity can be construed as racism. Nationalism possibly - but that's another can of worms which if the judge who ruled in Shetland was strictly followed would end all the English, Scots, Welsh and Irish jokes.

I didn't watch it so have no idea but if it was just booing then it's not exactly a racial or religious slur

Racism is not accepted pretty much because it relates to something over which we have no choice. What when the religion is chosen though?

Is it really racism though when they're booing him because he plays for a team they don't approve of? I didn't watch it so have no idea but if it was just booing then it's not exactly a racial or religious slur just the crowd trying to find an excuse to put a player off, which may not be cricket but also not exactly racism (no more than booing Rossberg for cheating which again isn't racist).

The only other England player they booed was Ravi Bopara, born in London to a Sikh family. He received far less attention than Moeen, of Pakistani extraction and born in Birmingham to Muslems (and with an English grandmother). The booing was nothing to do with the England team who was the opposition, none of the others seeming to receive any abuse.

Players often get booed during cricket, but always clearly for non-racist incidents (such as the altercation and subsequent accusations between an Indian and English player during the fist test, or the displeasure the Australian crowds heaped on an English batsman last year when he waited for an umpires decision!) Those cases can be laughed at, and usually are. But this was clearly racism, with only the merest hint of attempts to put him off (which didn't work - England won!).

I can't quite see (either) how being booed by people of his own ethnicity can be construed as racism.

According to the United Nations Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination,

the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction, or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin that has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life.

The rift between India and Pakistan is well known. As a recent example, in March 2014 approximately 66 students from Indian-controlled Kashmir were beaten by fellow students when they cheered the Pakistani cricket team in the cricket Asia cup. They were also charged with sedition but subsequently released. I think this goes more than a little beyond the banter between England and Scotland supporters in various sporting venues.

According to the United Nations Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination,

the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction, or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin that has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life.

Wow if that was followed to the letter then we'd never be able to cheer on any sportsperson in the world in fear of 'discriminating' against anyone else on the field, this is where I think it has went too far, as I said I didn't see the match in question but you cannot take banter out of sport, while I agree the example of throwing banana's etc and direct racism at anyone is out of order I think booing cannot be classed the same as isn't a racial or religious taunt just showing dissatisfaction at a dive, play or simply a choice of team

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom