Is my bonnet hinge knackered? C216

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pillow

Car
C216 CL600
Hi all,

Today I noticed my bonnet acting a bit strange when opening and closing.

On one side, as you open it appears to jump up slightly (about a half inch) as you open it. When you close the bonnet it comes down and then drops by half an inch just before the bonnet reaches the closed position. The alignment when it is closed is all ok but there is a lot of play in the bonnet by the hinge area. I've attached two videos which hopefully show the issue.

This is only on the passenger side. There is no movement on the driver's side and when it is closed there is no play when pulling the bonnet by the hinge.

What perplexes me is that the mechanisms seem solid and there isn't any play in the hinge itself. I can see when it drops the hinge mechanism does rotate (so it isn't like the drop is due to the holes being worn). The only thing I think it could be is the strut which is hidden behind the wing but I'm not sure why it would cause this behaviour.

In the picture attached, as I pull the back of the bonnet up by the hinge I can see the red mechanism moving. I can also see no play between this part and the dark red part highlighted which locates it to the hinge. The green arrow shows where the bump stop locates and it rests fine without me pulling at it. The blue question mark I obviously cannot check because this is hidden behind the wing and joins this part to the strut. I can possibly see how some rotational play here might cause what I'm seeing to happen. What I cannot figure out is what exactly stops the back part of the bonnet from being pulled up. The other side is secure but I don't know what is keeping it secure.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom