Is my car the loudest SL55?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
camerafodder said:
Well I've been on the 'unfriendly' side of that equation and it wasn't very nice. I'm getting a CLS55 before the end of the year and I'm wondering how to make it quieter! :eek:
ask Paul savage he will tell you!;)

Well I've been on the 'unfriendly' side of that equation and it wasn't very nice. I'm getting a CLS55 before the end of the year and I'm wondering how to make it quieter! :eek:

Not 100% if they would fit but a set of E55 W211 back boxes would make it quieter. I'm sure you would have a few on here that would swap with you.

Last edited:
I agree with camerafodder, having a very loud car isn't cool in my book.

I love the stock c63 exhaust note, why on earth would anybody wants to make it louder or change it?

It's a Mercedes, they shouldn't be chavvy loud, they come loud enough and make great noise, IMO.

I thought having a loud exhaust would be good. To be honest, it was a nightmare for long journey's and starting early on a morning was a little embarrassing.
I took the car to Tony Banks in Leeds and had 2 x back box silencers on and very happy with the low down sound. If I floor it then it is still a loud roar but nice and deep for normal driving........not that I do much normal driving but there you have it.

Another thing is the attention I received from Plod on both sides of the Channel. The Dutch Police especially were not impressed and gave me a warning. I know of a few drivers who have been fined hundreds because of the noise pollution

Be careful how far you go with the loudness

I thought having a loud exhaust would be good. To be honest, it was a nightmare for long journey's and starting early on a morning was a little embarrassing.
I took the car to Tony Banks in Leeds and had 2 x back box silencers on and very happy with the low down sound. If I floor it then it is still a loud roar but nice and deep for normal driving........not that I do much normal driving but there you have it.

Didn't know you'd done this Chris? Mine still has the two back boxes on and it's just about as loud as I'd go, though I am being persuaded by a mutual friend in Birmingham to have bigger front pipes fitted at the moment. :devil:

Another thing is the attention I received from Plod on both sides of the Channel. The Dutch Police especially were not impressed and gave me a warning. I know of a few drivers who have been fined hundreds because of the noise pollution

How did you go on with the "courtesy car" on that trip? Not exactly famed for it's subtlety is it. :)

I think Lee has the best of both worlds with that switchable system, very much an either or type thing.

Your not suggesting your car is quiet now Chris are you ? ☺
Agreed though go to loud and they become a pain to drive

Last edited:
I really want a better note with my CLS. I heard an SLK 55 pull away the other day with standard boxes and it sounds so much nicer than the K55 IMO. What will give a better snarl without setting off alarms and getting me an asbo? Someone mentioned opening up the boxes and removing deadening, some people say x-pipe. I quite fancy eisenmann back boxes but not keen on the quad pipes the do. Would really like to keep the OEM look but have a scary sounding bark, rather than a loud bark.

sounds like you will be visiting Paul again to make it quieter!

as said by others above, there a nice tone and theres too loud!

I really want a better note with my CLS. I heard an SLK 55 pull away the other day with standard boxes and it sounds so much nicer than the K55 IMO. What will give a better snarl without setting off alarms and getting me an asbo? Someone mentioned opening up the boxes and removing deadening, some people say x-pipe. I quite fancy eisenmann back boxes but not keen on the quad pipes the do. Would really like to keep the OEM look but have a scary sounding bark, rather than a loud bark.

C63 back boxes is what you need, the perfect compromise and without taking anything else off the system!

I think the op should be commended for wanting to share the sound of his car with others free of charge!:thumb:

Tony.

Thanks mate. Much modification required?

See if you can find some CLS 63 back boxes rather than C63 although it won't be easy to find some. C63 boxes have smaller pipework. If you can find a video of the type of sound you are after I can try to point you in the direction to take.

sounds like you will be visiting Paul again to make it quieter!

as said by others above, there a nice tone and theres too loud!

I did warn him even a 20 minute drive in mine didn't discourage him ☺

I had the sec cat delete and centre resonators removed and replaced with an x-pipe. Its a perfect balance for me now, I can tootle around with no real noticeable difference, but when I press hard on the loud pedal, the sound is intoxicating, and exactly what it should be :bannana:

In all seriousness I think this thread is quite interesting. Unlike other car forums I have been on this is a forum for the whole marque. This thread perfectly illustrates the diversity of people on here presumably because of the diversity of the marque.

There will be those who think the last thing a Mercedes should be is brash and loud yet there are those that definitely think otherwise.... witness the Weistec overture on Acid's last dyno day video.

There is of course no definitive answer and it really is a case of each to their own. It's fun debating it though :D

Sorry if it's already been mentioned but whats been done to the exhaust to make it so loud?

Sorry if it's already been mentioned but whats been done to the exhaust to make it so loud?

It doesn't have one ☺

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom