Is my G/Box Shagged???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bam

Car
mercedes c180
hi guys, I have a c180 on a 97 plate, 140k on the clock. Cracking motor for £450 (apart from being very thirsty and gutless) I must admit, but the box is very reluctant to change up or kick down, worse when cold as expected. Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem? Thanks in advance Bam.

Does this model use the 722.6 gearbox? Could this be an electric plate issue?
I recently had to have this component replaced due to the car regularly going into 'limp-home' mode. Fault codes indicated a speed sensor problem. The job was done for about £300 all in at an indy.
Had a C180 as a courtesy car while the job was being done - thought it was a really solid, well built car.

Haven't checked the fluids yet I must admit, I'll do it tomorrow. It also uses stupid amounts of fuel too, full tank and I'm getting less than 400 miles out of it. Cracking motor but wondering if I've bought a lemon here.

+1 for a possible air mass fault
Excessive fuel consumption
Transmission playing silly buggers
Low on power

Sounds very much like air mass sensor symptoms

400 miles to a full tank, I don,t think that's to bad about right to what MB say they should do.
Assuming the fuel tank capacity is 62 litres then doing 400 miles your car is doing just under 30mpg (29.3).
Consumption according to MB,
Urban: 12.7 L/100km (22mpg)
Extra-urbam: 7.2 L/100km (39mpg)
Overall: 9.2 L/100km (31mpg)

May aswell drop the fluid and put new in. Make sure you get the right stuff, some boxes can't stand different derivatives of the same type. You don't know what's in there or how long either. The cost isn't a great deal to fill an auto box.

To clear up what I meant, as an example EP90 comes in different types. Some with friction modifiers and some without. It can make an autobox drive like a pig if it's the wrong type. Don't just get the oil by viscosity or API. MKe sure it meets all other requirements your MB says it should met and you can't go wrong.

And then when you have serviced your gearbox you can carry on with repairing your fault.

If the OP bought a car for £450 im pretty sure he doesnt want to waste money.. an ATF change is not going to cure this.

As above most likely MAF sensor.

Oh wow, that's some hostility towards a comment made to give his gbox a new lease of life.
MAF will most likely be the cause yes, but swapped my or even flushing the box would extend hugely to his confidence in what has been done to his 'bargain' merc.

Haven't checked the fluids yet I must admit, I'll do it tomorrow. It also uses stupid amounts of fuel too, full tank and I'm getting less than 400 miles out of it. Cracking motor but wondering if I've bought a lemon here.

Getting on for 400 miles sounds OK to me fuel wise .

Some of my cars needed fuelling every 200 odd miles without anything being wrong .

Cheers fellas I'll get looking for a mass sensor once I've changed the fluids.

Oh wow, that's some hostility towards a comment made to give his gbox a new lease of life.
MAF will most likely be the cause yes, but swapped my or even flushing the box would extend hugely to his confidence in what has been done to his 'bargain' merc.

I'm sure your comment has foundation, and yes you are right that replacing the fluid will be be a good pm procedure to carry out !
But the op specifically asked for help regarding a problem. X3 guys with experience have given advice based on their knowledge.
People on occasions do point to the maf as the culprit with very little experience.
But the opening post really does have classic symptoms of a failed maf

I understand the reply. But it was very caustic and brash.
I meant the statement to be in tandem with the replacement of MAF. The fluids would be less expensive than a sensor anyway.
Maybe I'm being too 'soft', but it was a constructive comment which was pushed aside.
Meh! There are more experienced people on here with MB fickles than me.

I didn't find the response at all "caustic and brash". I think it was just concise and matter-of-fact.

I sensed no hostility whatsoever... But we're all different. :)

Thanks fellas, I'll try the flush, then the maf:thumb:Sensor. Failing that just sell her and get the c220 coupe..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom