Is my gearbox beat, or is it a simple fix/adjustment?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

harryk

Car
This and that..
On driving my s124 from London to NI via Liverpool, I've noticed that the car seems to slip/lose drive in third gear. If I lift off when driving at, say 40mph and the car decelerates, the revs will flare and it will slip for a second or so beforegoing back in to 3rd.

Is this a problem that can be fixed with adjustments/new fluids or is it something more sinister? I have a spare box for the worst case scenario but I hope its not...

Also, I will be posting up a thread soon of my brakes and suspension refresh. I've decided to get the lot done before I put it into daily service and its quite a list...

The first thing to do is to properly check the fluid level.

Get the transmission up to running temperature which means at least a ten minute drive, then check the level with the car on level ground, engine running and gear selector in Park. It should be between the marks on the dipstick.

I don't know if 124s came equipped with dipsticks as standard. If they didn't, there are plenty available on a popular interweb auction site.

My plan was to do a gearbox service asap and see if that works- fingers crossed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom