Is my gearbox kippered?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike Buley

Car
C200 Estate, TVR S3C, but minus the cat with a few naughty tweeks, Volvo 940 wentworth(vomit green)
Help please folks,
I think my gearbox (auto in 300te) is up the spout. The symptoms are as follows......
Everything OK up to 30mph. Then, a noise from under the car, gearbox area like a playing card rubbing against the spokes of a pushbike (yes, agreed, sounds stupid, but I did it as a kid with my raleigh chopper to make it sound like an engine....ahem......go on admit it) The faster the car goes, faster the noise. Drop to 29 mph, noise dies down, then goes away.
The car shifts gears although I havn't pushed it over 30.
I would really appreciate the help.
Could it be that something has fallen off inside?:crazy:

Originally posted by Mike Buley
Help please folks,
I think my gearbox (auto in 300te) is up the spout. The symptoms are as follows......
Everything OK up to 30mph. Then, a noise from under the car, gearbox area like a playing card rubbing against the spokes of a pushbike (yes, agreed, sounds stupid, but I did it as a kid with my raleigh chopper to make it sound like an engine....ahem......go on admit it)

I admit it. but I used a lolly stick. :)

My only experience of auto g/box failure was in a mate's Jag - didn't sound anything like what you describe :rolleyes: sorry I know that's not much help...he overdid it towing a boat. Had a kind of slipping clutch feel rather than a noise.

Are you sure this couldn't be exhaust related? Something blowing as the pressure rises?

Anyway Mike, good luck with it :)

Sounds speed related rather than rev related....more like driveshaft or even brakes - certainly something less expensive than a gearbox.

Why not give George Fraser a call, he's a MB gearbox guru, happy to give advice and may well know just by your description.

Thanks Guy and Spike.
Extremely good points. It wouldnt surprise me if it was something like that, as it still shifts up and down smoothly.Lets hope it is the exhaust.
I am booking it in tomorrow for someone to have a gander at it.
Also, I do remember the lollystick was a far superior option to the playing card attachment Guy, mine kept snapping though!!
Mike.:D

could be propshaft coupling,doesn't sound like an internal gearbox fault

Is the Propshaft coupling a nightmare / expensive job?

Front flexible coupling should be a simple DIY job (it is in 107s and 126s) taking about 1/2 to 3/4 hour. Cost of OEM part at Eurocp about £35, I think.

Steps:
- remove whatever is in the way, probably rear support for gearbox (no temporary support needed in 126) or other cover plate
- remove 6 nuts/bolts - will need to turn propshaft as you progress, to get access
- depends on model, I think but some bolts are hex, others are allen (10mm allen key req'd, I think)
- jiggle old coupling out
- insert new coupling (can be fiddly, might need to lever it in)
- note - coupling tells you which way round it goes in German but I can't remember the details, sorry
- replace nuts/bolts (new ones come with coupling - self-locking nuts)
- relace cover, or whatever

I really appreciate your replies chaps....

You arent going to believe this.....but, I took the car out earlier on to have a good listen....and .....not a dicky bird, nothing, the box changed up and down (auto) down and up, kicked down and generally went like it usually did (pretty well).
Bear in mind, the noise the car made previously made people turn around from about 100 yds.
Which would indicate to my not very mechanical brain that it isnt mechanical, after all, they dont heal themselves.......
Could it be the cat? or middle bit of the exhaust? Its just that it didnt sound like the exhaust, it doesnt blow, and previously didnt rattle, and surely a propshaft coupling would still make a noise.
I am off to kwikfit tomorrow via my mechanic.
Hopefully it will be the exhaust........If so, is a stainless job a good idea?
Mike

At present my car has an annoying rattle from down under, it’s a heat shield that’s come loose above the catalytic converter, I’ve been advised to remove and throw it away, I don’t want to do that and am trying to muster up the enthusiasm to get under there and figure out how to fix it on again.

Heatshield rattles are common.

If you know a good welder, it can be welded back but failing that, cut the shield off.

Somehow dought that the 30mph thing is the CAT though, it sounded too speed related.

Still, I am glad the noise has gone.

Originally posted by Mike Buley
I really appreciate your replies chaps....

You arent going to believe this.....but, I took the car out earlier on to have a good listen....and .....not a dicky bird, nothing, the box changed up and down (auto) down and up, kicked down and generally went like it usually did (pretty well).
Bear in mind, the noise the car made previously made people turn around from about 100 yds.
Which would indicate to my not very mechanical brain that it isnt mechanical, after all, they dont heal themselves.......

Mike

Probably find a piece of plastic caught round the propshaft or box/prop coupling

As the speed increases its thrown out by centifugal force and hits the exhaust or similar - slow down and there is insufficient force to hit the exhaust.

However when the above mentioned piece of plastic breaks or falls off - the car could mysteriously "heal " itself :)

Seen if a few times before - and yes it does happen :)

Mark

Mark,
Sounds spot on.
I had the car up on ramps, fiddled with the propshaft, whilst finding that the rubber doughnut is perished, a piece of plastic fell out half way down, only a small bit, about 2". I removed the heatshield under the cat, but no problems there.
Drove the car some distance, no noise.
Seemingly sorted out....
However, there was quite a bit of play in the Propshaft, and the doughnut was perished. Do you think I need to replace it?
Many many thanks for your help
Mike.:bannana:

Mike

You're telling me its perished - and asking me if if it needs replacing :rolleyes:
Use common sense and change it, it will only increase the ride of the car if the original is knackered.

If you are unsure get a competant mechanic to check it over for you, they are nasty when if/when they let go - have you ever seen a car pole vault ? - because I have :(

Any :rolleyes:

Point taken Mark:D
I wasnt sure if it was a major problem as it is only a very small perished area.
Retrospectively it is obvious it needs changing.
Anyone got a propshaft?!
Cheers Mark.
Mike.

prop coupling isnn't a big job to replace or buy.
35-45 mins should see it done.

Hi,
Ta for the help, I have a replacement propshaft with all new rubbers on order, should get it fitted by the weekend.
Mike
:bannana:

Guess what,
The propshaft arrived today. Minus the most important bit, the front rubber doughnut. This was after my wife specifically asked them if the propshaft contained ALL relevant bits.
Makes me want to grab them by the nads and beat them senseless, it isnt a difficult question is it?

Anyway, a trip to ECP and £60 lighter sees me with a new doughnut (probably better to have a new one anyway)

Regards to all.

Guess what,
It was the wrong propshaft too......:devil:

You'd best enlighten us all where you bought the prop so we all know to steer clear.

Mike - do you actually need the prop ? - are there any actual constant velocity joints shot ?

Or was it just the coupling that was knackered ?

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom