Is my mechanic talkin B/S

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nutty Kompresso

Car
C200K
Hi All,
This is my first post and I could use your help.
I have my '01 C200K W203 for a year and not long after I bought it little things started going wrong with it but more recently it has just went haywire, it wont start, the key wont even turn, the lights don't work, the doors won't open. Then maybe later she'll start up and drive fine. I took it to my mechanic who is normally pretty spot on and he said my ECU is fried, that the car has been in a flood at some stage. He reckons the best option for me is to buy a used ECU, Ignition barrell with key and steering lock from the same car. This sounds a bit much to me but what would I know. Does this sound right? If so any ideas where I could get these parts asap as I have no car right now and my boss is giving me grief.
Thanks in advance.

Hi All,
This is my first post and I could use your help.
I have my '01 C200K W203 for a year and not long after I bought it little things started going wrong with it but more recently it has just went haywire, it wont start, the key wont even turn, the lights don't work, the doors won't open. Then maybe later she'll start up and drive fine. I took it to my mechanic who is normally pretty spot on and he said my ECU is fried, that the car has been in a flood at some stage. He reckons the best option for me is to buy a used ECU, Ignition barrell with key and steering lock from the same car. This sounds a bit much to me but what would I know. Does this sound right? If so any ideas where I could get these parts asap as I have no car right now and my boss is giving me grief.
Thanks in advance.

Are you wondering why the ignition key barrel needs to be bought along with the ECU or just whether the ECU can actually be bad? Impossible to say anything about the ECU without seeing it but because of the drive authorisation system, all related parts need to come from the same car. Only if the part is new, it can be coded in with the rest of the old parts.

What ECU is he talking about. May be a faulty key or ignition switch. Do you have a spare key to try?

Sounds like a bad key to me... do you have a spare to try?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom