Is nowhere sacred for Men anymore?

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by spinaltap, Feb 22, 2013.

1. spinaltap

spinaltap Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A180 Avantgarde (2009) A180 Avantgarde (2012)
    The one place where using your 'man card' could be considered sacrosanct is the common-or-garden barbers.

You know, the unassuming kind of one-man operated back-street barber, with traditional swirly barber's pole outside the premises, and spittoons in the corner (well, maybe not the last feature).

Apart from the occasional presence of the mother waiting for her son's hair to be cut, I was completely taken by surprise recently when a mature women was waiting for her hair to be cut. Granted she already possessed a kind of masculine hairstyle already (very short), but why was she there and not at the hairdressers?

The reason: the hairdresser across the road charges upwards of £30 for a basic cut-and-blow-dry - compared to the basic gentlemen's barber that only charges £8. Apparently, she was not the only one either who frequented this last bastion of manhood.

So, is nowhere sacred for men to escape to anymore - if only for half-an-hour to read the newspaper, and listen to the sports coverage on the radio - and to get your hair cut?

2. Harrythedog

Harrythedog Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GLC 250 Sport Premium+
    I seem to recall when I was a kid most barbers had a limp or some form of impedement

3. Merc Owner 2B

Merc Owner 2B Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2012 ML250 Sport BlueTec
    Mine had a hydraulic chair!:D

4. ringway

ringway MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Audi A6 Avant 3.0 Bi TDI - A Fantastic Car! Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely! Also R32 & S4.

Something for the weak end, Sir?

8 people like this.
  5. Chrishazle

Chrishazle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 S204 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 1993 Porsche 968 Tip Cab.
    Had an even worse one many years ago in Aberdeen. For some unknown reason we were drinking in a pub near the harbour - bit of a rough area. Went to return some rented liquid, typical rough pub gents with the long stainless steel place and quite a few men relieving themselves - in walks this old harridan, up to the steel, lifts her skirt, leans back and pees - saying "there's too long a queue at the ladies."

1 person likes this.
  6. KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    Real men cut their own hair. I have (used clippers) for nearly 15 years!

5 people like this.
  7. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Traditional barber's pole represented the fact that in medieval times barbers and surgeons performed essentially the same tasks! Maybe its a good thing we have moved on? ;)
    The origin of the red and white barber pole is associated with the service of bloodletting and was historically a representation of bloody bandages wrapped around a pole. During medieval times, barbers performed surgery on customers, as well as tooth extractions. The original pole had a brass wash basin at the top (representing the vessel in which leeches were kept) and bottom (representing the basin that received the blood). The pole itself represents the staff that the patient gripped during the procedure to encourage blood flow.

8. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v

Same thing happened to me at a Classical Music festival in Leeds Castle grounds. I am not making this up..She splashed me!!!

Good looking woman, but a lousy shot.

1 person likes this.
  9. Carrsey

Carrsey Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E280 CDi Avantgarde

Same here, about £20 for a set of clippers and last around 3 years, bargain..

10. rascalmaster

rascalmaster Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Brabus D5 (E280 CDI) Avantgarde, E280 CDI Sport Estate, E320 Avantgarde now sold
    i just shave... (why stop with the beard) kind of the anti combover of the century... lol

11. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    I never bother with grooming. Its over rated

1 person likes this.
  12. Bellow

Bellow Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Hell's bells! I belong Aberdeen and I am still shocked at that!

Mine had a plank for us kids!
    I remember the leather sharpening strop. And the implication that it could serve another purpose. Suffice to say we behaved while there.

13. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport & BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 1.8d SE (sorry, guys)
    I also thought that it was an offence to do grooming on a forum or chatroom..... or is that what the "over 18" bit is for?

14. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    I groom people everyday for c class estate ownership. I confidently suggest you'll not find a finer car, but you'd probably have to be 18 plus to buy one due to CCA regulation unless your a cash buyer.

1 person likes this.
  15. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Fixed that for you :D

16. HB

HB Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 , E350 CDI, C320 CDI, SQ7
    Would never have guessed

1 person likes this.
  17. del320

del320 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1996 E320 Coupe
    Must surely have been "The Grill" in Union Street. Women were barred until 1975 but women's toilets were not installed until 1998.

18. Bellow

Bellow Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Not if it was by the harbour.
    Trying to remember if The Grill (directly opposite The Music Hall) had a ladies - or if it was the one around the corner (Bridge Street?) that didn't. I recall drinking in one of them and the girls would go to one of the fast food outlets and use theirs. No one minded!

19. Rashman

Rashman MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLK
    Yip.
    Been cutting mine since I was 20.

.... but that's because I'm half Indian... so at least half of me refuses to pay to have my hair cut.

:D

20. Chrishazle

Chrishazle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 S204 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 1993 Porsche 968 Tip Cab.
    Wasn't The Grill - used to go in there a lot at lunchtimes when I worked for Texaco - it was our department's regular lunchtime watering hole! As I said, this was at a rather unsalubrious pub in the harbour area.