Is nowhere sacred for Men anymore?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spinaltap

Car
A180 Avantgarde (2009) A180 Avantgarde (2012)
The one place where using your 'man card' could be considered sacrosanct is the common-or-garden barbers.

You know, the unassuming kind of one-man operated back-street barber, with traditional swirly barber's pole outside the premises, and spittoons in the corner (well, maybe not the last feature).

Apart from the occasional presence of the mother waiting for her son's hair to be cut, I was completely taken by surprise recently when a mature women was waiting for her hair to be cut. Granted she already possessed a kind of masculine hairstyle already (very short), but why was she there and not at the hairdressers?

The reason: the hairdresser across the road charges upwards of £30 for a basic cut-and-blow-dry - compared to the basic gentlemen's barber that only charges £8. Apparently, she was not the only one either who frequented this last bastion of manhood.

So, is nowhere sacred for men to escape to anymore - if only for half-an-hour to read the newspaper, and listen to the sports coverage on the radio - and to get your hair cut?

I seem to recall when I was a kid most barbers had a limp or some form of impedement

Had an even worse one many years ago in Aberdeen. For some unknown reason we were drinking in a pub near the harbour - bit of a rough area. Went to return some rented liquid, typical rough pub gents with the long stainless steel place and quite a few men relieving themselves - in walks this old harridan, up to the steel, lifts her skirt, leans back and pees - saying "there's too long a queue at the ladies."

Traditional barber's pole represented the fact that in medieval times barbers and surgeons performed essentially the same tasks! Maybe its a good thing we have moved on? ;)
The origin of the red and white barber pole is associated with the service of bloodletting and was historically a representation of bloody bandages wrapped around a pole. During medieval times, barbers performed surgery on customers, as well as tooth extractions. The original pole had a brass wash basin at the top (representing the vessel in which leeches were kept) and bottom (representing the basin that received the blood). The pole itself represents the staff that the patient gripped during the procedure to encourage blood flow.

Had an even worse one many years ago in Aberdeen. For some unknown reason we were drinking in a pub near the harbour - bit of a rough area. Went to return some rented liquid, typical rough pub gents with the long stainless steel place and quite a few men relieving themselves - in walks this old harridan, up to the steel, lifts her skirt, leans back and pees - saying "there's too long a queue at the ladies."

Same thing happened to me at a Classical Music festival in Leeds Castle grounds. I am not making this up..She splashed me!!!

Good looking woman, but a lousy shot.

i just shave... (why stop with the beard) kind of the anti combover of the century... lol

Hell's bells! I belong Aberdeen and I am still shocked at that!

Mine had a hydraulic chair!:D

Mine had a plank for us kids!
I remember the leather sharpening strop. And the implication that it could serve another purpose. Suffice to say we behaved while there.

I never bother with grooming. Its over rated

I also thought that it was an offence to do grooming on a forum or chatroom..... or is that what the "over 18" bit is for?

Meldrew2 said:
I also thought that it was an offence to do grooming on a forum or chatroom..... or is that what the "over 18" bit is for?

I groom people everyday for c class estate ownership. I confidently suggest you'll not find a finer car, but you'd probably have to be 18 plus to buy one due to CCA regulation unless your a cash buyer.

Hell's bells! I belong Aberdeen and I am still shocked at that!

Must surely have been "The Grill" in Union Street. Women were barred until 1975 but women's toilets were not installed until 1998.

Must surely have been "The Grill" in Union Street. Women were barred until 1975 but women's toilets were not installed until 1998.

Not if it was by the harbour.
Trying to remember if The Grill (directly opposite The Music Hall) had a ladies - or if it was the one around the corner (Bridge Street?) that didn't. I recall drinking in one of them and the girls would go to one of the fast food outlets and use theirs. No one minded!

Wasn't The Grill - used to go in there a lot at lunchtimes when I worked for Texaco - it was our department's regular lunchtime watering hole! As I said, this was at a rather unsalubrious pub in the harbour area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom