Is Peeling Paint Covered Under Warranty?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CClassChris

Car
Mercedes C250 Coupe
Hi All,

I'll be calling in to the bodyshop on Monday but just wanted to learn if anyone had any experience with paintwork under Mercedes warranty.

Bought my 2014 C Class from a Mercedes dealer under the approved used range back in October 2019 that comes with a 1 year warranty as standard. Seems like the rear bumper has had a complete paintjob from the previous owner as it was always bubbling and has now completely come off after being pressure washed. This either wasn't known to the Mercedes dealer or wasn't mentioned to me when I bought it (not sure if it even needs to be anyway).

Have people had past experience with something like this being covered so i can know what to expect when contacting them when they open?

IMG_2320.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
it was always bubbling
Don't mention this either! Was this from day one of your ownership?
If it's been painted (and MB will check with paint gauge) and it wasn't done by MB, they won't touch it or consider any warranty claim.

Personally I'd just get the bumper resprayed at my cost and save a lot of aggravation

If the bumper re-spray was done at an MB Approved body shop, either under the new paint warranty or paid-for, then you should be able to get that sorted under warranty either by the dealer or the body shop.

If the bumper respray was not done at an MB Approved body shop, then you could either raise this with the body shop (if you know who they are), or you may have a claim against the dealer that you bought the car from under the Consumer Rights Act (which is different to claiming off the MB warranty).

There’s always the chance that the dealer had it painted prior to sale, as part of the pre-sale prep work etc. If so they might well take the claim as they will know it’s been painted and I guess they could return it the bodyshop.

Otherwise I guess it’s more difficult. I mean it’s cosmetic and almost a year on would be hard to know who had it painted and when unless they document every paint depth reading etc prior to sale (which is more difficult on plastic parts anyway AFAIK).

Out of interest, Porsche warrant their paintwork on approved used sales and document the paint depth in microns with the documents :)

If it's been painted (and MB will check with paint gauge) and it wasn't done by MB, they won't touch it or consider any warranty claim.

Personally I'd just get the bumper resprayed at my cost and save a lot of aggravation

Yes it's always been like this as far as I can remember but didn't think much of it (not knowing much at all about car paintwork).

Suppose there's no harm in checking with Mercedes but I had a bodywork professional come to look at it yesterday and he said the bumper has definitely been repainted previously. Guess it's a case of who would have repainted it. Been quoted £250 + VAT to have it repainted otherwise which isn't the end of the world.

Thank you for all of your answers.

There’s always the chance that the dealer had it painted prior to sale, as part of the pre-sale prep work etc. If so they might well take the claim as they will know it’s been painted and I guess they could return it the bodyshop.

Otherwise I guess it’s more difficult. I mean it’s cosmetic and almost a year on would be hard to know who had it painted and when unless they document every paint depth reading etc prior to sale (which is more difficult on plastic parts anyway AFAIK).

Out of interest, Porsche warrant their paintwork on approved used sales and document the paint depth in microns with the documents :)
I fear that assumptions are perhaps not the best basis to make this type of decision.

As has been said by some very knowledgeable folk, IF the paint job was either done by Mercedes-Benz themselves, or an improved Mercedes Body Repair location, you are up that proverbial creek.

Is there any record of that item being replaced? If not, then can we assume you are indeed paddling up the creek in your cayan, Ooops Kayak

How does a paint gauge work on a plastic bumper?

If it's any help, my CLK was repaired by Mercedes after it started to rust. After 18 months the rust returned, I went back to the Mercedes approved bodyshop who repaired it in the first place who told me their work was guaranteed for two years and did the work again without argument at their cost.

Been thinking about the OP and their question. Surely the simple answer would be 'No' but with the caveat that it might be covered under the 3-year warranty of the car when it was a newly purchased vehicle?

I cannot copy Mercedes customer services email into this thread but essentially they said contact the dealership

Hi Leah, that's exactly what our main dealer said who we purchased the Mercedes A Class from. They suggested that they have no information on any Mercedes Paint Warranty and that we contact Mercedes directly to find the information out. Clearly there isn't a 7 Year Mercedes Warranty on any paint as suggested by a third party and clearly nobody at Mercedes themselves or the main Mercedes dealership can offer us any assistance on this matter. If this is the level of quality from Mercedes in-regards to their vehicles sold through main dealers and an indication of the service from your main dealerships and partners then we will not be purchasing a Mercedes vehicle in future as it is not doing what it says on the tin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom