Is Ross Brawn the answer to F1's issues?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LTD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Polo GTi (and a travel pass for the train and subway)
Mercedes have proven that their engines are the business.

Newey's chassis design is un-paralleled.

We need Ross Brawn back in F1. Or do we .... ?

I would like to see him back. We need people who do it differently and apply the limit of the rules... nobody wants bland processions.

Also I would like to see the back of some of the lack lustre drivers.

Alonso too... never rated him... time to move on.

I for one would love to see him back. Would have been interesting if he was with some one like HAAS next year and given free reign but he would probably out perform Ferrari and they would not let that happen

Not necessarily - just get rid of Bernie, and race at decent tracks rather than ones that pay the most..............

(Or, after the very watchable race on Sunday, arrange for it to rain every raceday!!):rolleyes:

Not necessarily - just get rid of Bernie, and race at decent tracks rather than ones that pay the most........

I agree but I am afraid that would mean goodbye to Monaco. It is a pointless track with these cars. Jim Rockford in a Lotus might be OK, but not for today's cars.

Tracks "in"

Monza
Silverstone
Nurbugring
Melbourne
Suzuka

Tracks "out"

Valencia (Street)
Monaco
????

Valencia is already gone - maybe you were confusing it with Sochi which is also pretty dire.

Good, Bernie is listening to me then ;)

I haven't studied this years calendar - in Aus its all about V8s.
But in general I mean - these are the tracks we want gone. I have never seen Sochi (not shown here on normal TV), but I'll take your word for it.

Bernie needs to go.

Hes nothing more than the Sepp Blatter of F1

As for Monaco, that needs to go also, sadly.

Monaco is forever. So much a part of the sport's history it will never be dropped.

Back to the original question. What issues and in what role is RB envisaged?

To my mind RB is an engineer and all the top teams have their own talented engineers (James Allison is doing a fine job at Ferrari and he will fettle what he has into a winning package - bringing in RB could only be disruptive) and unless a lesser team could afford RB and persuade him out of retirement I suspect he will remain a spectator and angler.
As someone to replace BE - I can't imagine there is money enough on this planet to persuade RB to accept such a role.

Last edited:
''A letter of credit from Silverstone's bankers is therefore necessary for the race to go ahead and managing director Patrick Allen is concerned it might be withheld if the annual fee outstrips income from ticket sales.''

Then surely the fee is too high if ticket sales don't cover it - bearing in mind LH's presence drew a record crowd last year.
BE could do what others in the entertainment industry do. Hire the venue and retain ticket sales revenue.

''Silverstone's fee is said to be around half that demanded of some other races. Yet in the absence of government backing they can secure, it must rely on ticket sales.''

Come on! This is supposed to be a business. No way can tax-payers be asked to subsidise it. Reminder, capitalism eschews state intervention!

The F1 model is based on shaking down circuits and giving them nothing, the rise in new venues has entirely come from prestige projects bankrolled by their governments. Once you pay Danegeld it only gets more expensive.

I'd love to see RB back. I think it's dire what Merc did to him. He was doing a great job there.

I wish he'd come to McLaren. I know he couldn't solve engine issues but I really don't like Eric Boullier.

Ant

''Silverstone's fee is said to be around half that demanded of some other races. Yet in the absence of government backing they can secure, it must rely on ticket sales.''

Come on! This is supposed to be a business. No way can tax-payers be asked to subsidise it. Reminder, capitalism eschews state intervention!

Yup it's pretty outrageous.

I'm pretty sure if there was an offer by Pyong Yang or Harare to cough up and stage a GP then F1 would drop the likes of Spa or Silverstone and cosy up.

This is part of what makes F1 so toxic - it's not just about the money it's about extracting more money than is healthy and ignoring the fans. What is left over is distributed mainly to the top teams which distorts the competition and favours a few.

At times I think the BBC should ditch F1. Licence payers shouldn't be subsidising this tinpot circus.

I see Ross Brawn as a Jenson Button type of character. Gentle, accomplished. Perhaps the archetypal Brit of old. But does the sport need him? Not sure he'd add so much and besides, F1 deals poorly with comebacks.

Instead I'd like to see more drama similar to the Hamilton cap incident, and maybe a few more shaking fists captured from on board cameras. Drama sells.

So maybe. Instead of the race directors we currently have, get a real director ;). Somebody like Steven Soderbergh, who can turn a boring set into something special with careful use of cameras, lighting and grading (the tone of the final image).

And not forgetting my area (VFX) - why not some occasional pretend oil on the camera lens when viewing in car cameras footage? It's always struck me that the problem with TV coverage of high energy, dangerous sports, is that image on your TV and consequently your experience of the race, is very detached from the real thing - made even worse these days by the in car radio between driver and pit that sounds like routine dialog between NASA and astronaut on a 20 year long haul space flight.

The F1 model is based on shaking down circuits and giving them nothing, the rise in new venues has entirely come from prestige projects bankrolled by their governments. Once you pay Danegeld it only gets more expensive.

Yup it's pretty outrageous.

I'm pretty sure if there was an offer by Pyong Yang or Harare to cough up and stage a GP then F1 would drop the likes of Spa or Silverstone and cosy up.

This is part of what makes F1 so toxic - it's not just about the money it's about extracting more money than is healthy and ignoring the fans. What is left over is distributed mainly to the top teams which distorts the competition and favours a few.

And when those countries feel they have benefited sufficiently from the prestige bestowed upon them by staging F1 - will they be loyal supporters?
The inequality of money as distributed to teams is the easiest of all the required fixes - and should be implemented NOW!

At times I think the BBC should ditch F1. Licence payers shouldn't be subsidising this tinpot circus.

You and the BBC!
Disagree though. Make F1 less accessible and jeopardise any interest in engineering by the youngsters of our country. Ross Brawn as role model - or Simon Cowell's wannabees?

.....Instead I'd like to see more drama similar to the Hamilton cap incident, and maybe a few more shaking fists captured from on board cameras. Drama sells......

How about they all have to live in the same house between races and sing songs or eat slugs. Then we all ring some £1 per minute number to vote one of them out??

Or a really stupid idea... let fans vote in real time to give them more power during the race... no that is really stupid.

Or a really stupid idea... let fans vote in real time to give them more power during the race... no that is really stupid.

Nobody in their right mind would ever go for that idea ....

Or the idea of putting in backing music as the cars race.

Ummmmmmm. Would they?

Slightly off topic but it amazes me how the teams always talk about cutting costs as it's too expensive, yet their 'motor homes' seem like mobile palaces! The amount of catering staff they seem to ship around the world seems a bit OTT. Ok it may be a drop in the ocean compared to overall costs but I'm sure they could tone the luxury down a bit

Or the idea of putting in backing music as the cars race.

Branson claims Formula E will become more popular than F1 by 2020. Probably right, but how long before online racing overtakes them both?

Slightly off topic but it amazes me how the teams always talk about cutting costs as it's too expensive, yet their 'motor homes' seem like mobile palaces! The amount of catering staff they seem to ship around the world seems a bit OTT. Ok it may be a drop in the ocean compared to overall costs but I'm sure they could tone the luxury down a bit

It's theatre, if not a theatre, a circus. Without the excess, the glamour, the razzmatazz, what is there to watch?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom