Is smoke normal on a DPF re-gen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R W

Car
01,E320CDI. 2012 Sclass 350cdi
My recently acquired 2007 V6 320cdi fitted with a DPF has on two occasions omitted clouds of blue/white smoke. First time I immediately stopped it & the smoke smelt acidic/toxic, not the smell of fuel or oil. Restarted it & it was fine. Its covered 1400kms since the first smoke secession & yesterday it did the same thing again. This time I didn’t stop it, it ran for maybe 1 or 2 kms & the smoke cleared, it then drove 400kms no trouble at all, running perfect.

I had the fault codes read last week & it showed two error codes 2043-002 & 2616-002 but none active. If anyone could advise what these are & if they are relivent to my problem.

My question is , can or does a DPF re-gen cause a plume of blue smoke, or do I have a problem. I know very little about DPF re-gen but searching the forum I don’t see anyone talking about smoke like I have.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Last edited:
vast quantities of smoke is normal for DPF regen...which begs the question, just how are they reducing particulate emissions?

Thanks Dieselman for the reasurance that the smoke is normal.It was worrying the first time it did it.
I agree, the amount of smoke omitted makes you wonder how much these devices lower emissions

None of the DPF regens on my Volvos or Audi have ever produced smoke and both alert you when they are in regen mode is the MB regen process different ?

Edit: just realised volvo injects eolys fluid to lower combustion temp of soot particles and reduce or eliminate smoke during regen

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom