Is snow foam worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AntMB

Car
Mercedes E270 Estate and VW Golf
Is snow foam worth it?

Before I buy a lance to fit my pressure washer, is it really worth bothering with?

Is snow foam worth it?

Before I buy a lance to fit my pressure washer, is it really worth bothering with?
I use the autoglym snow foam and I have to admit it does a very good job all around, even in alloys. It leaves a "silky" look on the paint I love to admire on my car [emoji23]

Sent from my H8116 using Tapatalk

Short answer yes.

Depends how worried about your paintwork and swirl marks etc you are (not that it will reduce swirl marks, but more remove the bigger clumps of dirt on your car before washing with a shampoo and microfiber mitt). I'm sure there are others on the forum that can get into the technicalities of it (both for and against) but i think it should definitely be part of the washing routine. That being said there are many different types of snow foam, I would recommend the "forensic detailing" channel on Youtube, where there are reviews of the ones on the market, which may help you in your decision.

Jet washing never removes that road film, does snow foam? Does one still need to use a wash mitt?

I use the mit yes and a good pressure wash in advance

Sent from my H8116 using Tapatalk

To be honest, the last time I washed my car, I wondered if there was any point to the snow foam. I can't see that it really removes any more dirt than the pressure washer does. I still have 5L but once it is gone I may not bother.

I sort of think it’s a bit of nonsense but looks so cool. The guy from the forensic detailing channel even says that in one of his videos.

I really don't think it does that much, taking into consideration the cost of the stuff, the adaptors or pressure bottle etc... Just hose/pressure wash and then clean in a sensible way, 2 bucket method or equivalent

When I started my valeting business I didn't use it as, has been already pointed out you still need to go over the car with a mitt to get everything off.
I do however use it now if nothing else for PR purposes! :eek:;)
It seems to have a positive psychological affect on my client's when they see their car all white!! ;).
I use Autoglym Polar Blast. On heavily soiled cars it goes on and gets left to loosen that, then washed off ready for a good old fashioned hand wash. ;)

Edd, how many cars / washes (on average) would the AG 2.5L bottle be expected to do?

Does the “foam” in washing up liquid wash the dishes or is it the soap liquid in the water?

Sounds to me like a bit of a marketing gimmick by the Valeting supplies company..........

Bubbles lift dirt (all carpet cleaners utilise this principle) so grit and particles are washed away before you apply a mitt, cloth even a sponge :confused:
You still need 'soap' etc to clean film, oils, and general layers of pollution off though it does pre soak / was that to to soften it up.

And it does look cool and thorough

Am going to start using it, just interested in consumption

Edd, how many cars / washes (on average) would the AG 2.5L bottle be expected to do?
Mines done 25 so far (not including doing our own cars) and I've got a 3rd of a bottle left. Not much needed and diluted in the Kärcher adapter. :)

Thanks, that'll do me then
Reduced at Halfords at the mo and daughters car is due back from Uni on Sunday, so a Monday morning foaming for it beckons....

Have the bottle thingy already (came with the PW) so will have to actually RTFM ref dilution then....

Autofinesse say 1" to 2" in a snow foam applicator which is roughly 100 to 200 ml ....5 or 10 washes out of a (1L) bottle which is why I buy 5L at a time as it is much cheaper (£13 for 1L or £30 for 5L)

I have to say, the whole ‘OCD’ nature of detailing has somewhat spoiled the simple ‘wash and dry’ process for me.

To the point that unless I’ve got a couple of hours spare minimum it doesn’t usually get done.

Which is a shame as although it’s for the better of reducing swirls etc and doing a better job, the result is the cars aren’t often as clean as they could be for general use.

15/20 years ago I used to nip out with a bucket and sponge, quick hose off and a wash with some Triplewax shampoo, dried off with a chamois leather and be happy, and to the majority of passers by my cars always looked nice. If I had time, glass would get cleaned with window cleaner, quick detailer wiped down and tyre dressing :cool:

I’ve never used snow foam before, but I guess it’s just one more step further complicating the whole washing process into taking another twenty minutes :D

I used to love washing cars after it had been raining, most of the dried on dirt/bugs etc had already had a good soaking and softened before you even started :)

I can imagine the comments I’d get from the neighbours/passers by if I covered the car in snow foam every time it needed a wash. It’s bad enough with the usual ‘you’ll make it rain’, or ‘you can do mine next..’ etc :doh:

Hese a sight you don't often see, a New Holland covered in the stuff!! :eek::DView attachment 85416

Your work , as I assume your new business has taken off among local farmers , all trying to impress the neighbours :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom