is Star a reliable system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

v24pug

Car
CLK Lexus rx
is Star as system that works I have all sorts of problems star has checked the system twice now with no faults what is the point in a system that cannot find fault so far with posts it seem a case of change things a see it it solves the problem good for Mercedes but not good for customer. Was thinking about changing to a ml but with the problems with my wives car will stay with Lexus or back to Range Rover.

It's as good as you'll get for diagnosing the systems on a Mercedes, but if the fault isn't with a self-diagnostic component it can't work magic.

Possibly what you need is a good mechanic (rather than a technician) to diagnose the fault?

It's only as good as the technician who is using it>

The garage and star used by a mercedes dealer Machanic who set up as inde so will just have to keep trying and renew.

is Star as system that works I have all sorts of problems star has checked the system twice now with no faults what is the point in a system that cannot find fault so far with posts it seem a case of change things a see it it solves the problem good for Mercedes but not good for customer. Was thinking about changing to a ml but with the problems with my wives car will stay with Lexus or back to Range Rover.

Well it begs the question what is wrong with the missus' car?
Do you have a mechanical issue that the scanner can't pick up?
That of course requires some olde worlde "old nuts" mechanics approach!

Now the MB scan system is very good if you know how to use it--but it is time consuming to set up and run a diagnostic check. It means i HAVE to charge the customer for the diag time! :devil:
Now there are good alternatives at times which scan quicker .
I use Autologic scan tools a lot for Mercedes and Landrover.

Then I use an Autel Pro at times for a quicky!
This tool gets in & interrogates faster even than any MB factory scan tool.
In fact I used it with great success on an errant ML320 that wouldn't communicate with any high end (read very expensive ) scan tool.
Something like this:-
Autel Maxysis DS808 | Products | Diagnostics4U

BUT as other contributors have pointed out the tool(s) no matter what it is. is only as good as the person using it.

Training and experience goes along way to fixing complex car problems these days. Product familiarity has a lot to do with it, and many faults are repetitive depending upon the marque/ model /etc .
In fact when I get a shop call in, I can often mentally diagnose the issue on some MB's/ Landrovers just by listening to what the customer/caller has to say.
So again what is the problem you are having with wifey's car?
Tuercas Viejas

the car is a 2007 clk200k problems are no dash,indicators,wipers and horn is ok when engine not running but when started all goes pair shaped every fuse checked to earth and continuity back and front sam units also fuse box drivers side. Renewed sam still the same old sam back in star codes only for removal of sam cleared all faults and retested all ok no codes switched off and back on the same thing star no fault codes. The machanic is mercedes trained at local dealer ship and left to start up on his own.Hellllp!!!!

What is the main chassis vehicle threshold voltage.
KOEO is what? 12.3 to 12.7v ???
KOER @ idle is what? 13.6 to 14.2v??
Rev engine does it go above 14.7 to 15v or more?

What about chassis grounds & unit grounding --in other wurds wots yer erfs mate?
Tuercas viejas

What faults got erased? Might have had some baring on the issue.

As above what are the voltages? System could be over charging the system.

Star diagnostic is only a tool, it isn't something that actually does the job of a technician, sometime you have to go back to basics like pre diagnostic machines.

when the car not started the voltage to erfs are 12.3 when started and running they are about 13.6 going back to basics well I can reduild engine install BMW satnav and ice in Range Rover but this has got me. iAlso checked the ignition switch a wireing diagram would help !!!!! the only fault I know is that an o2 sensor so this is on the ecu not on sam or body control unit will change this when sort this going to change cam magnets and sensor. any ideas ?????:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

10 year old Mercedes… check your alarm!

Is there a light flashing on dash when locked with the remote?
Test the alarm, leave a window open, lock the car, trigger the alarm by opening a door/bonnet through the open window.

Dec

locked with remote and opened with key alarm activated
still looking

Any chance it's actually the dashboard display that's faulty?

I was wondering the same thing, sounds like something's flooding the CAN bus with garbage...

Do the indicators, etc work when the dash is disconnected?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom