Is The C63 The Best Mercedes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skd884

MB Enthusiast
Car
c180 w204
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That will be an interesting discussion... would have to say the SL55AMG is.. but I might be biased a little! perhaps better to say the AMG is the best version of each particular model.... each to their own:devil: 20210805_121435 (1).jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
If you think it is, it is. Others will have different views and it's horses for courses, but they're a lovely thing.

That will be an interesting discussion... would have to say the SL55AMG is.. but I might be biased a little! perhaps better to say the AMG is the best version of each particular model.... each to their own:devil: View attachment 121457

That's lovely; I do like that!

I wouldn't want to get into the discussion of whether the C63 is the best (that's a lovely SL55 and they were amazing cars) but I am happy to list a couple of AMGs I was personally not overwhelmed by:

2018 S63 AMG Cabrio. The S550 just seemed to do it better, fast, luxurious, more comfortable in its skin
2005 E55 AMG. Kompressor engine but after the SL55, lacked excitement and edge.
2008 CL63 AMG. With the 6.2 engine but it didn't suit the CL, which needed a less peaky, more effortless power delivery
2007 CL65 AMG You would think this would kill it, but on UK country roads, it was out of its boost zone and in the wrong element

Apologies to any owners, these are just my own views. All cars driven in the year stated.

And my favourites apart from the C63 about which I am biased..

AMG GTS Four Door: Crazy name, seriously crazy car. Like a giant C63.
2012 E63 AMG. With the 5.5 turbo engine. Punch like Joe Frazier.
2015 SL63 AMG. Same engine I believe. Reinvented the fun of the original SL55
2020 G63 AMG. I know, silly, But brilliant, the most fun of the huge monster SUVs.

I have driven the SLSs and the AMG GT variants and they are not on my list.

I do think the C63 in both guises is brilliant I have to add. Sorry for the lack of model code detail.

I would be interested in other people's lists like this.

Personally I don't trust myself to punch a c63 and not crash a rear wheel drive lol ... Love my e63s though so for me that IS the best Mercedes :) Especially as estate ... Moved house in that thing ...

Personally I don't trust myself to punch a c63 and not crash a rear wheel drive lol ... Love my e63s though so for me that IS the best Mercedes :) Especially as estate ... Moved house in that thing ...
I didn't until I took some professional tuition - they have way more grip than you think (in the right conditions with warm tyres). I was astonished just how much provocation I had to provide to get a spin out of it and that was on a soaking wet dynamic handling pad at Milbrook (S+ with ESP off).

I wouldn't want to get into the discussion of whether the C63 is the best (that's a lovely SL55 and they were amazing cars) but I am happy to list a couple of AMGs I was personally not overwhelmed by:

2018 S63 AMG Cabrio. The S550 just seemed to do it better, fast, luxurious, more comfortable in its skin
2005 E55 AMG. Kompressor engine but after the SL55, lacked excitement and edge.
2008 CL63 AMG. With the 6.2 engine but it didn't suit the CL, which needed a less peaky, more effortless power delivery
2007 CL65 AMG You would think this would kill it, but on UK country roads, it was out of its boost zone and in the wrong element

Apologies to any owners, these are just my own views. All cars driven in the year stated.

And my favourites apart from the C63 about which I am biased..

AMG GTS Four Door: Crazy name, seriously crazy car. Like a giant C63.
2012 E63 AMG. With the 5.5 turbo engine. Punch like Joe Frazier.
2015 SL63 AMG. Same engine I believe. Reinvented the fun of the original SL55
2020 G63 AMG. I know, silly, But brilliant, the most fun of the huge monster SUVs.

I have driven the SLSs and the AMG GT variants and they are not on my list.

I do think the C63 in both guises is brilliant I have to add. Sorry for the lack of model code detail.

I would be interested in other people's lists like this.
Impressive list!

I didn't until I took some professional tuition - they have way more grip than you think (in the right conditions with warm tyres). I was astonished just how much provocation I had to provide to get a spin out of it and that was on a soaking wet dynamic handling pad at Milbrook (S+ with ESP off).
But in the wet it's a totally different story 😉 I came to my E63 from a powerful audi quattro so was quite nervous about the RWD traction. But now I have another powerful quattro and I really miss the excitement of the E63 RWD when I drive it, even though it's surely quicker in the wet.

But in the wet it's a totally different story 😉 I came to my E63 from a powerful audi quattro so was quite nervous about the RWD traction. But now I have another powerful quattro and I really miss the excitement of the E63 RWD when I drive it, even though it's surely quicker in the wet.
It is a different story and it's true that you can't take liberties, but I was still pleasantly surprised with how much grip was on offer. Course, if you disable TC/ESP altogether (as we did for a few runs), its quite the shock and in my case, made the car completely undriveable lol

I do miss my previous Audi(s) though - not in the same league as your R8 but I still regularly managed to surprise many unsuspecting wannabe racers at the lights (wet or dry), with just how fast a diesel barge could go...

E/S211 - the car just looks right from any angle. Would have an S211 again in a heartbeat

It is a different story and it's true that you can't take liberties, but I was still pleasantly surprised with how much grip was on offer. Course, if you disable TC/ESP altogether (as we did for a few runs), its quite the shock and in my case, made the car completely undriveable lol

I do miss my previous Audi(s) though - not in the same league as your R8 but I still regularly managed to surprise many unsuspecting wannabe racers at the lights (wet or dry), with just how fast a diesel barge could go...
I rarely dare to go TC fully off on my E63; "sport" allows more than enough slide for my capabilities!

Yeah Quattro is amazing in that way. It probably also flatters many drivers, me included!

I rarely dare to go TC fully off on my E63; "sport" allows more than enough slide for my capabilities!

Yeah Quattro is amazing in that way. It probably also flatters many drivers, me included!
Sport+ for me, I find the gear changes in Sport aren't quick enough (in my C63 at least) although i'm not one for sliding unless its accidental with cold tyres or greasy roads I haven't spotted.

Sport+ for me, I find the gear changes in Sport aren't quick enough (in my C63 at least) although i'm not one for sliding unless its accidental with cold tyres or greasy roads I haven't spotted.
I use manual for gear changes unless cruising.... but I was referring to the "sport" TC setting that's separate from the gearbox/suspension settings. I don't have enough skill to have it fully off 😉

I use manual for gear changes unless cruising.... but I was referring to the "sport" TC setting that's separate from the gearbox/suspension settings. I don't have enough skill to have it fully off 😉
Ah, ok - thats the setting we used on the handling pad so we could easily initiate oversteer - makes sense.

Will depend totally on your needs. For me it's too small too noisy and not comfortable enough. But people under 70 will probably have different needs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom