Is The C63 The Best Mercedes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
S class with a V8

‘nuff said.

I use manual for gear changes unless cruising.... but I was referring to the "sport" TC setting that's separate from the gearbox/suspension settings. I don't have enough skill to have it fully off 😉
Same here, manual, tc in sport, 1 light on the suspension if I'm having a proper drive. Almost everything else I do in comfort although sometimes still use manual when driving steady too. I think s and s+ are pointless

A rear drive C Class with a V8 has to be one of the best AMGs. Sadly it's looking like it's going to be consigned to history.

Same here, manual, tc in sport, 1 light on the suspension if I'm having a proper drive. Almost everything else I do in comfort although sometimes still use manual when driving steady too. I think s and s+ are pointless
S+ 'pointless'? Wow - Its my preferred driving mode when I want to have some fun. Comfort for bad weather or long journeys though.

S+ 'pointless'? Wow - Its my preferred driving mode when I want to have some fun. Comfort for bad weather or long journeys though.
Each to their own but I'm not keen on it. I don't like how it wants to take the car to the red line constantly. Sometimes you need to short shift. Also its trying to bang up and down the gears but obviously can't predict the road or your intention so can change down at the wrong time upsetting the car or just generally be wrong footed. I like manual so you can drop down the gears up to the corner controlling the engine braking and accelerate smoothly through changing when it's right. Just my preference.

In the 205 I believe you can have S+ with manual gears? Then it's not so pointless if you want the snappy response.

In the 204 @jimjamiejames makes a good point and it's why I don't use S+ for a spirited country drive. Ironically S+ is quite good on the motorway because downshifts aren't going to happen mid corner and the downshifts are smoother than in S. C is a bit lethargic to kick down on the motorway. A bit of manual paddle intervention using S+ allows you to get back up the gears again if there's been a kickdown event instead of hanging onto unnecessary revs.

In the 205 I believe you can have S+ with manual gears? Then it's not so pointless if you want the snappy response.

In the 204 @jimjamiejames makes a good point and it's why I don't use S+ for a spirited country drive. Ironically S+ is quite good on the motorway because downshifts aren't going to happen mid corner and the downshifts are smoother than in S. C is a bit lethargic to kick down on the motorway. A bit of manual paddle intervention using S+ allows you to get back up the gears again if there's been a kickdown event instead of hanging onto unnecessary revs.
You can absolutely have manual shifting in S+ and it make for a great drive. I'm just lazy most of the time, but also think the gearbox does a reasonable job of anticipating what I want :D

Agreed, even as far back as the 204 the gearbox logic is noticeably intelligent. For example downshifting a gear if you've let off the throttle going downhill to engine brake and I think it takes both level and steering inputs into the equation.

My wife's A3 with DCT from 2014 on the other hand has poor logic and 'Sport' mode just holds high revs whatever the situation. At least in the C it still upshifts even in S+ if you're just cruising.

The A45 was more fun. Less power, more control and didnt feel like it was going to dump me into a hedge!

I take it that you haven't driven a C63 then?

The A45 was more fun. Less power, more control and didnt feel like it was going to dump me into a hedge!
Do you think it was the extra security of 4wd that you preferred?

Do you think it was the extra security of 4wd that you preferred?
yes - the 4 wheel drive and the lower weight made it easier to drive quickly and feel in control (for me). Dont get me wrong the C63 is a great car, I had one for a number of months and it bought smiles to my face on plenty of occasions - launching with nearly 500bhp was such good fun. And the shear power in sport+ was amazing. To drive everyday it was a great car, but I had more fun on more occasions in the A45.

I haven't driven the A45 so wouldn't no but I presume they would be very similar to the RS3-Golf R which to me didn't have the edge if you knoe what I mean 😉
As I've mentioned on other threads for me a 10 year old could drive the golf R fast
(Im not suggesting that you drive like a 10 year old🤣)

the 205 has the ability to turn any drive mode (comfort etc ) to manual using a dedicated button as now do in the newer AMGs. the vehicle will always down shift but you control upshifts when u press the manual button. with the 204 you can use the paddle in any drive mode and it will go back to auto shifting after a period of time etc.

It's slightly different in the 204.

The first pull of a paddle in C, S or S+ will initiate a change up/down if it's feasible.

If an upshift isn't feasible (or is beyond the parameters for the mode, like it won't let you run at 1krpm in S+) then nothing happens.

A downshift in C, S or S+ then permanently reduces the available gear range by one. For example if you're in 6th then it'll say D5 and from then on will only use gears 1-5 no matter what you do with the throttle. It remains in automatic shifting mode immediately. To increase the gear range hit paddle up, or hold paddle up to get the full range back more quickly if you're in a low gear. This also has the effect of changing up if it's a feasible request.

It's not how most automatics work where you get an override, it stays in manual for say 20s and then reverts to auto. The 204 system is useful if you want to limit gears going down a steep hill or go for a blast in say S+ but no higher than 4th gear. However, it's a bit annoying having to hit paddle up to get the gears back to normal if all you wanted was a one time downshift. As with all automatic gearboxes you have to learn their quirks to get the best from them.

That's what through me about the 204 I sussed it in the end 🙄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom