Is the CLS 350 / 500 a direct injection engine + LPG Q

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simacsee

Car
Alfa GT V6
Hi, new hear so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I'm super keen to get a CLS (W219 05-11) either 350 or 500 but to make the costs work would need to run it on LPG.

Spoke to the guy who would do it (has converted 2 cars previously for me) and he said it was possible as long as its not a direct injection engine.

Now I'm fairly sure the CGI version is (clue's in the name?)... But is the old model direct injection or not???

Does anyone here have any experience of an LPG converted CLS? There are a few that have on the web, mainly in Poland, but not with much detail.

Any help/thoughts gratefully received.
Simon

If you're concerned about costs to run it , maybe you think about another car ?

It's not meant in a snobbish way , but there are a lot of other things to think about , especially with a w219 cls. It's not just fuel costs.

They are gorgeous cars , and lovely to waft around in but they aren't renowned as the most reliable things in the world , they are complicated cars with a lot to go wrong on them. If it has airmatic , expect a big bill one day , maybe many days.

SAM's fail seemingly fairly regularly , and bits are expensive generally for them. Lots of electronics to go wrong.

Don't get me wrong , I've literally just bought a cls500 myself , but I did my homework and I only do 4/5k a year , so I'm figuring that I've got a good chance of getting a good few years before something expensive goes wrong.

If you need to LPG it to be able to afford to run it , that suggests that you will be doing big miles , which by the law of averages means you will get a biggy sooner.

No trying to put you off , just to make you aware. It's not just filling it up.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

The best bet for LPG would be a 2006 500, as that would be the old M113, of which there are a lot of conversions about (especially on S and MLs). The M272/278s are regular SFI rather than direct injection unless bearing a CGI suffix. They do however run higher compression ratios, which will be raised further still when running LPG, so that may be a consideration, and they have variable valve timing which doesn't always play nice with LPG.

http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdfs/287_R171/287 HO 03 M272 (FAH) 08-05-04.pdf

Last edited:
I'm getting my E 350 (m272) converted right now, will be picking it up Monday. Apparently it converts really well, and is a very sold engine. IF the balancer shaft issue has been resolved. Mine was done by the dealer just before I purchased it.

I'm looking forward to around 50 mpg equivalent, and 375 miles ranges on lpg. I'm using a BRC kit, since I've had this on several Range Rover S/C's, which performed perfectly. I'd go for the 350 for ease of conversion, and economy once converted. There was a converted one for sale recently, it was on eBay classifieds for around £6,750.

They are gorgeous cars , and lovely to waft around in but they aren't renowned as the most reliable things in the world , they are complicated cars with a lot to go wrong on them. If it has airmatic , expect a big bill one day , maybe many days.

SAM's fail seemingly fairly regularly , and bits are expensive generally for them. Lots of electronics to go wrong.

have had my CLS55 for nearly 5 years and 42k miles .. apart from routine maintenance and consummables, only things that have failed are 2 parktronic senosors, both front. And a bit of gasket oil leak at the top of the engine.

Perhaps yours is the exception to the rule Sean ?

I've read about loads of problems with them , which is why I went in eyes open.

All I hear from Olly is horror stories about them.

Had two 211 E500's running on LPG, one the 5 litre, the other a 5.5, both ran beautifully and did big miles on it. I agree you need to be fully aware that a big bill could be around the corner with these cars as they are complex and have airmatic etc, but you will have a great time doing it if you're prepared for this. If you get the right LPG converter and system - mine was BRC - that shouldn't give you any trouble as long as you service it every 15-20k miles. Good luck!

Always love the 'LPG' question...

Assuming you get 25 MPG, then you'll save about £700 per 10,000 miles on fuel. So if you get to 30,000 you'll be at break even for the installation. Get to 60,000 and your £2,100 up. Anything else goes wrong... It would have anyway. Cost of owning a CLS £10k + £1.5k pa for servicing... Reckon I'd be looking at £15k for 3 years (less anything I can get at end of life).

I've done 60k in a 406 coupe and 40k in an Alfa GT - not had anything go wrong with the engines/LPG.

Good to hear the M272 has been converted a lot with S and MLs...

Perhaps yours is the exception to the rule Sean ?

it is only at 51.5k so perhaps early days yet ..

mine has been on track, and driven quite hard on 2 Euro tours and in Scotland

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom