Is the truth OUT there re Lug bolts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ceticcross

Car
2003 E320 cdi elegance
Hi All,

about to take a trip to Ireland in my 2003 320CDI. Decided to check spare wheel today just in case. Currently have 18" alloys fitted with a 17" steel spare. I have read various comments about needing shorter bolts to fit the steel spare. Then again I have also read that shorter bolts are not required for a 211. Having searched the boot today I cannot find any spare bolts so does this mean I need a quick visit to the main deales to buy some before my trip? Any definate advice much appreciated as due to set out on Wednesday. I realise that I could just try swaping the spare at home before an emergency but don't want to risk damaging anything if some kind person can provide a definative answer off the top of their head.

Many thanks in anticipation of your usual knowledgeable replies.

Hi, am not sure about your car but i know i have a set of shorter studs for my steel spare on a w124.

Thanks for that. There does seem to be a lot of confusion and the manual doesn't seem to mention it. I can just imagine stuck on the side of a motorway when I find out the truth.

I read this with a wry smile.

Picture this:

I leave a meeting in central Birmingham and realise that I have a knackered tyre, kwikfit don't have one so I attempt a wheelchange up a side treet.

Brand new, never used, steel spare. No worries thinks I.

Soon realise bolts too long for the steel spare and no short bolts, some t1t must have taken them.

Thanks to KWIKRIK somewhere in the hell that is suburban Birmingham for swapping the tyres over and getting me home!

Thanks for the warm feeling. NOT! I think a visit to the dealer required prior to ending up in your situation.

Remember: Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind!

There is only one way to sort this and give you peace of mind.
Wheel off - Put on the spare and see how you go.
If you dont want to do this yourself, perhaps you have an unlevel jacking area or whatever. Off down to Kwikfit (or similar) tomorrow Sunday with some dosh in hand and get them to try it for you. They may just have some bolts knocking around if your current ones do not fit. Hah - Muppet me. You should never put Alloy bolts on with a steel wheel and vice versa. So given the time lag twixt now and Wednrsday get the right steel bolts sharpish. Do not be surprised if Merc main dealers do not have them in!! A breaker's yard will be your best bet.
Unless someone knows different.

Where abouts in bedfordshire are you based, I have a spare set off of a w124 if they are likely to be any good, i am in st albans.

andy

or just ask on mbclub.co.uk and await an expert reply...
The 27mm shank length bolt used on 211 wheels is the same for both the alloy and the spacesaver.

It's sunday morning now, (sorry but I got distracted by the golf):

trapperjohn, you were spot on re the only way to check and my reason for not doing it yet. May look for a breakers online today.

tippandy: That is a very kind offer from yourself re spares and I am just a few miles north of Hitchin which is probably 30 mins from you. However, from Chris Murray's reply it appears that the bolts are the same on both alloy and steel wheels.

I think my plan this morning will be to empty the boot and definately confirm that there are no bolts hidden anywhere. Then take one bolt off and measure it re the 27 mm length mentioned. I will also try the bolt through the steel to see if any of the unthreaded shank protrudes through the hole. After all that I will decide whether to visit a tyre shop or breakers if I can find one.

I hope you can see my confusion as we appear to have got both sides of the argument even in this thread.

Thanks to you all for your time and direction again and I hope someone in the club had more luck than myself in the Grand National yesterday!

Cheers
Steve

Can confirm that lug bolts on the W245 B class fit the Alloys, Space saver & standard steel wheel, if that is of help to anyone. I have used all of these types of wheel on my B with the standard supplied lug bolts.

Thanks for the further info: It looks like there is not a standard between all the different models. I will post back if I get a solution for the e320

Can confirm that lug bolts on the W245 B class fit the Alloys, Space saver & standard steel wheel, if that is of help to anyone. I have used all of these types of wheel on my B with the standard supplied lug bolts.

245 uses the same bolts as the 211: M14x1.5x27R14
Definitive enough?

Thanks yet again Chris. I hear you loud and clear. I took out one of the bolts and it measured just over 25mm. I placed it through the steel wheel bolt hole and there was no un-threaded shank showing through so I am now confident in your assurance that they will fit both the steel and alloy wheels. As ever, a great response from members and much appreciated. Enjoy the rest of your sunday.

Steve

Last edited:
Cheers NormanC, the base under the head appeared to be domed (if that is the correct word) and it seemed to sit in the hole alright. I think it will just have to be fingers crossed for the trip or buy a can of that inflatable stuff!

Thanks for the continued interest though!

On my spare wheel there is a diagram telling me to use the shorter bolts. Look at your spare. If it doesn't have this advice nor does it mention it in the handbook then you're probably OK to use the original bolts.

Cheers Renault12 I looked at the spare and the only info it gives is reference the 50mph speed limit when fitted. It also has the yellow paint banding all around it but no mention of short bolts. I am begining to think the normal bolts will fit. Thanks for your suggestion though.

Steve

Why have you not tried putting the spare on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom