Is there a doctor in the house please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Definitely a second opinion Bruce.

You can't afford to be careless with a Wispa :thumb:.

A family members who's a cancer nurse just replied and is a bit baffled. she asked do you eat a lot of sugar and maybe it's some interaction with your chemo.

she said to ask your oncologist or dietician and keep pushing for results.

Marty

No I don't eat a lot of sugar or take sugar in tea or coffee. My chemo finished about three weeks ago. I am feeling better every day now. I also have some hair growing back which is good.

No I don't eat a lot of sugar or take sugar in tea or coffee.

High-street chocolate is mainly processed sugar. I suggest you're taking in a huge hit of sugar and, as someone else suggested, the adrenalin produced to deal with it is producing this response

If you're on medication your system will react in odd ways

I find that my sugar levels go barmy more easily when I'm not well. I've had narrowed vision & echoey hearing through odd sugar levels so pretty much anything is possible. I try to steer clear of all processed food, sweets, sugar and alcohol. Boring, but I'm thinking of taking up skydiving and opium to make up for it

Nick Froome

High-street chocolate is mainly processed sugar. I suggest you're taking in a huge hit of sugar and, as someone else suggested, the adrenalin produced to deal with it is producing this response

If you're on medication your system will react in odd ways

I find that my sugar levels go barmy more easily when I'm not well. I've had narrowed vision & echoey hearing through odd sugar levels so pretty much anything is possible. I try to steer clear of all processed food, sweets, sugar and alcohol. Boring, but I'm thinking of taking up skydiving and opium to make up for it

Nick Froome

Well just to check that he sugar is the cause. I drove Mrs Millar & my two daughters down to Hastings this afternoon.

Chips in paper with industrial quantities of vinegar and enough salt to grit the M25, eaten in car with seagulls watching sat on the bonnet.

No side effects apart from the car will now stink till next week. Not the Merc I was in the Pajero.

Best of luck,but I would take the advice on here with a pinch of salt (and vinegar if you like) as I am sure you are.If your Dr is not concerned then neither should you be. Your consultant is the man to ask,if it hasn't gone by then. Your body has been through a rough time it's not surprising it is a little over sensitive at the moment. It could have been a great deal worse, like a bad reaction to alcohol!

Update:

My brilliant and wonderful surgeon (James Gossage) got back to me last night. He confirms that it is undoubtably sugar levels that are the issue most likely due to my recent surgery. It is something he believes will go away, but will see me in person next week.

He has never given up on me and responds to every call that I make. Dedication on a different level I owe him so much.

Thanks again to all who took some time to reply to me. It is appreciated.

I've missed the boat here but knowing the sh*t my mum has had to endure - one of the things post Whipple (after losing part of the pancreas and stomach) was she had to manually replace the enzymes which you usually have to digest food.

I'm not an expert but it could well be you don't have enough of the necessary enzymes yet to digest the quantity of chocolate (and whatever it is in it causing the issue).

A decent nutritionist can advise (I know of one localish to you if required so PM).

John

Indeed enzymes are the culprits. I am seeing the surgeon this week and he is confident he can help. Looks like it does sort itself out. Just means no chocs for now.

Thank you for your kind offer of help.

Bruce

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Glad to hear you're getting the care you deserve and that hopefully, you will actually be able to eat chocolate again :)

Folks

I saw my consultant last night. As many posted and pointed out this is a Hypoglycemic Reaction to GLUCOSE!!

More importantly for my understanding he explained that this is to be expected given my surgery and lack of enzymes along with other contributing factors such as chemotherapy, dumping syndrome etc.

His advice apart from try not to eat too much chocolate or (interesting) cake icing. Is carry some boiled sweets and when I feel an episode starting, suck one off them. He does believe that this is something that will go away or improve with time. Not something that I should worry about.

Like most things when we understand the root cause we feel better and can move forward. I already do feel better.

Thank you again to all who took time to respond and do research on my behalf. Also to those who reached out to others to help me. Fantastic help.

Thank You.

Good news, hopefully you will be able to consume a large bar of Galaxy in one sitting again soon.

One of life's pleasures...

If all you lose is chocolate then its a bargain. I think there are going to be loads of 'interesting' changes. I found laughing in the face of adversity to be helpful. Not much else worked.

Rock on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom