Is there a doctor in the house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
I just came back from a BCG vaccine trial... emphasis on trial as no vaccine was administered....

On Tuesday I had the mantoux test administered, and today I went to have it read. While I personally don't see/feel any hardening (just some localised reddening/erythema) the nurse wrote that I had an 8mm reaction, and decided that that was a Positive reaction.

Which is all fine and good were I a British person born in Britain of British ancestors... now correct me if I'm wrong, but the "boundaries" are
15mm in a low risk subject
10mm in a medium risk subject
5mm in a high risk subject

Now, while I don't feel I'm a high risk subject (never had an organ transplant, don't use drugs, don't have HIV) - I do think I'm a medium risk subject (recent arrival in the U.K. from a high prevalence country, employee in a congregate setting (international school), parent/ancestors from a high-risk region, lived in a high-prevalence region (sub-saharan))

Which makes me think I'm negative.

The reason I'm so hard headed is that 10-odd years ago, I had the exact same test done, and it came up negative. I then had to leave the country fairly quickly, and never had the vaccine done... which rules out a genetic immunity...

So my question really is - is there a risk to getting a BCG vaccine if the mantoux test really is positive? I know that in the states in a borderline case they would do another test (like the blood test with the impossible name); but alas not here...

I did go to a private clinic to get this done - I might pop by my GP soon; any advice?

M.

The Mantoux test works on the presence of the bacteria in your body, whether you were immunised or not will dictate whether your body is producing antibodies against it. If you came into contact with the disease somehow unawares, you will get a positive test.

1. This is too important for forum chatter.
2. You should have gone to your GP in the first place and follow up on advice given. Its not too late get to your GP and seek direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom