Is there a perfect vehicle for all ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LTD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Polo GTi (and a travel pass for the train and subway)
Simple question.

Is there one vehicle that caters for all needs ?

Performance / Capacity / Economy ?

One vehicle, any brand - what would you have and what failings would you accept ? Or do you need two ?

According to Jeremy Clarkson it's the Range rover - he is a great fan

But them he often also refers to the VW Golf in this way....

Simple question.

Performance / Capacity / Economy ?

One vehicle, any brand - what would you have and what failings would you accept ? Or do you need two ?

Many come close, but I suspect there would always be a compromise in some area such as those above, Performance / Capacity / Economy.

Some people want a luxury car, whilst needing a utility vehicle. Others need an economical compact city car. Then there's the number of doors, body style and even choice of convertible etc..

I need two.
Number 1. A W124 Diesel Estate. Ye Olde Catchall Work Horse. Practical, forgiving just sits up and asks for more. (Somewhat akin to Peter Kay's Hobnob. Dip me agen, Dip me agen it cries)
Number 2. An itch to scratch!!

if there was one perfect car for everybody then all teh other manufacturers could give up and make something else :)

Of course there isn't a one size fits all car.

Simple question.

Performance / Capacity / Ecosomething ?

I constantly think about changing my car but that would mean not having the one I've got and that couldn't happen.

So the answer is a w124. What can't you do with one?

if there was one perfect car for everybody then all teh other manufacturers could give up and make something else :)

Of course there isn't a one size fits all car.

an e wagon (estate) is:

stylish
sporty
elegant
safe
sophisticated
spacious
durable
refined
economical (non amg)
reliable
driver focused (sports guise)
powerful
acceptable depreciation
comfortable
entertaining (if u have screens)
entertaining (you can fold down the back seats and start planning your family)
load bearing (for up to 7 or ikea)

thus u can build ur house with it

the end!

oh and stick on a surf board to the roof to make it appear u lead a sporting fit lifestyle.. in the city..

hmmm

in my opinion, one of the most complete cars on the market is the e class estate.

That's fair enough - although some would say a Skoda Superb estate does most of what the E class does
Not a criticiscm of the E class per se - just an objective observation.
Re OP -As for "catering for all needs" - criteria would need to be far more varied than just the 3 of "Performance / Capacity / Ecosomething ?"

OK not a merc(sorry:rolleyes:) but the Porsche 944 turbo is a perfect all rounder in my view. Fast, practical rear hatch, quite frugal when not on boost. Great looks. A true practical classic performance car in my honest opinion.

(runs and hides away from the inevitable flaming:p)

Simple question.

Capacity?

... the Porsche 944 turbo is a perfect all rounder in my view. Fast, practical rear hatch, quite frugal when not on boost. Great looks. A true practical classic performance car in my honest opinion.

(runs and hides away from the inevitable flaming:p)

I know, it's a nice car,, but will it carry 4 people and luggage around europe?
errrmmmmm? No.

Maybe if the rear passengers were small children or midgets? :D

an e wagon (estate) is:

stylish
sporty
elegant
safe
sophisticated
spacious
durable
refined
economical (non amg)
reliable
driver focused (sports guise)
powerful
acceptable depreciation
comfortable
entertaining (if u have screens)
entertaining (you can fold down the back seats and start planning your family)
load bearing (for up to 7 or ikea)

thus u can build ur house with it

the end!

oh and stick on a surf board to the roof to make it appear u lead a sporting fit lifestyle.. in the city..

hmmm

BMW E39 5 Series Touring has all of those, I think it is more of a drivers car than the E Class + I do like the idea of the split tailgate with the glass opening separate.
:ban:

Alan

Last edited:
We have a new Golf 1.6 TDI DSG SE. Surprisingly spritely performance (largely down to excellent 7-speed gearbox), 60+mpg average so far, carry 4+smaller one, chuckable, refinement comparable to my 09 E-Class. Spec pretty good too apart from lack of bluetooth as standard :confused:

Seriously impressive so far.

an e wagon (estate) is:

stylish etc etc etc

hmmm

useless to anybody 5ft tall - ask my other half

too big to fit in my parents in laws designated parking space

Far too expensive to run for the little old lady 'Micra/Yaris brigade'

I could go on, yes they are great cars but they are not the perfect car for everybody.

I need two. I agree with the E class estate comment from Boss (I have one, I would! :) ) but I also love convertible driving, so a second car is necessary for me.

But, if I had to just have one car that would do MOST of what I want/need, I think it would be a CLS. It would satisfy my need for style and comfort. I never carry more then 3 people plus me and with a bike rack I possibly wouldn't need the wagon carrying capacity. I could sacrifice the convertible experience for those iconic CLS looks...... maybe... :D

We have 3 kids and 5 dogs so an ordinary estate or 4x4 simply doesn't cut it.

Hence the Vito Dualiner with the 3.0 V6 CDI, which is an excellent combination of performance / refinement / capacity / practicality.

However the recently announced facelift version with 255 bhp would be even better :D

I think Brabus stopped making their version with 426 bhp (6.1 litre V8) :(

211 E320cdi ticks all mine, fast and comfy and not bad on fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom