Is there a recommended procedure for cleaning the engine bay and engine?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Littledigger

Car
CLK 2004 270CDI
Is there a recommended procedure for cleaning the engine bay and engine?

it's a really really easy four step system

1. drive to your local tesco or asda or shopping centre.

2. find the group of eastern european men who clean cars for money.

3. pay money

4. sit back and relax.

it's a really really easy four step system

1. drive to your local tesco or asda or shopping centre.

2. find the group of eastern european men who clean cars for money.

3. pay money

4. sit back and relax.

or miss step 4 and have kittens while they singlehandedly DESTROY your paintwork and to top it all youve just paid them to do it.

:dk:

Just use a selection of soft cloths/brushes and some gentle cleaning products, on a modern engine like yours there is quite a bit of potential for causing havoc with engine electronics etc - so avoid the hose if you can.

Unless you've had a major oil leak or something then you shouldn't need harsh chemicals or pressure washers etc, especially on such a newish car :thumb:

Will

Rule one :- Never, repeat never, use a pressure washer.

I saw the Eastern Europeans doing an Audi TT engine bay using the pressure washer as my local handwash......just couldn't believe that the owner sitting in the car asked them do it :eek::eek::eek:

I didn't hang around to see if it was ever going to start and run again, but I wish I had :D

If you have to do it with high pressure - do it from distance so pressure wont rip hoses, harnesses or get in places where it shouldnt. High pressure washer will be better only if you know how to use as it will use less water so at the same time you have less chanses to flood electrics compering to garden hose.

If you have really greasy,dusty engine, use something what disolve it easly. Dont use anything that would contain acid ingridients. Even dishwasher in spray bottle might do very nice job.

... Even dishwasher in spray bottle might do very nice job.

Do you mean dishwater or a dishwasher tab in a spray bottle?

I think the spray bottle is a sensible solution, though i might just get some cheap floor wipes from the local superstore and wipe over things.

Don't use a high pressure hose under any circumstances.

High pressure forces its way past seals , into electrics and all sorts.

Just wipe everything down with a damp cloth , then dry off with a dry one.

Squirting water under bonnets , whether from a pressure washer, garden hose , plant spray has got bad news written all over it.

No need to put gallons of water in the engine bay.

1) Cover up anything you think may cause a problem, i.e. connectors, airfilter inlets etc... Using foil or clingfilm, ensuring it's a tight fit.

2) Start with underside of the bonnet, spray degreaser or diluted all purpose cleaner and aggitate with a soft brush like the swissvax/envy style ones used by Detailers. Then rinse with water using a pressure washer or a hose on mist/spray. May need to do it in sections to avoid the cleaner drying before you rinse.

3) Spray degreaser or a strong mix of all purpose cleaner over the engine area, mainly engine cover, bonnet shuts, suspension mounts etc... Then aggitate with a soft brush. When it comes to rinsing using an open ended hose, use your thumb over the end to control the spray, you want it as misty as possible. Avoid spraying directly over the engine for more than a couple of seconds, rinse the bonnet shuts and suspension mounts then over the engine again for 2 or 3 more seconds. If using a pressure washer hold the tip of the lance 7-8 feet away from the engine ensuring only a light cloud of mist touches. If worried about water coming into contact with the engine, just doing the painted areas(suspension mounts etc..) around it can make a big difference.

4) Spray auto glym vinyl and rubber care over all the black pipes and any black plastic then close bonnet. Do not wipe or brush this stage, just spray and leave.

5) Wait a 10/15 minutes(crack on with the wheels, door shuts and a wash) then start the car and leave it to warm up to help it dry and ensuring it's running as it should.

6) Open bonnet to reveal a gleaming engine area.

You asked for a guide, I gave you one.
Should anything go wrong which is unlikely if done correctly then I'm not to blame. Also doing it by hand can make a big difference.

Before anyone says DO NOT do that. I do it for a living, done countless engines and never had a problem. I'd post some befores and afters of really grotty ones but it may not be welcome.

Adam

1) Cover up anything you think may cause a problem, i.e. connectors, airfilter inlets etc... Using foil or clingfilm, ensuring it's a tight fit.

2) Start with underside of the bonnet, spray degreaser or diluted all purpose cleaner and aggitate with a soft brush like the swissvax/envy style ones used by Detailers. Then rinse with water using a pressure washer or a hose on mist/spray. May need to do it in sections to avoid the cleaner drying before you rinse.

3) Spray degreaser or a strong mix of all purpose cleaner over the engine area, mainly engine cover, bonnet shuts, suspension mounts etc... Then aggitate with a soft brush. When it comes to rinsing using an open ended hose, use your thumb over the end to control the spray, you want it as misty as possible. Avoid spraying directly over the engine for more than a couple of seconds, rinse the bonnet shuts and suspension mounts then over the engine again for 2 or 3 more seconds. If using a pressure washer hold the tip of the lance 7-8 feet away from the engine ensuring only a light cloud of mist touches. If worried about water coming into contact with the engine, just doing the painted areas(suspension mounts etc..) around it can make a big difference.

4) Spray auto glym vinyl and rubber care over all the black pipes and any black plastic then close bonnet. Do not wipe or brush this stage, just spray and leave.

5) Wait a 10/15 minutes(crack on with the wheels, door shuts and a wash) then start the car and leave it to warm up to help it dry and ensuring it's running as it should.

6) Open bonnet to reveal a gleaming engine area.

You asked for a guide, I gave you one.
Should anything go wrong which is unlikely if done correctly then I'm not to blame. Also doing it by hand can make a big difference.

Before anyone says DO NOT do that. I do it for a living, done countless engines and never had a problem. I'd post some befores and afters of really grotty ones but it may not be welcome.

Adam

Not tying to argue here and you obviously know what you are doing Adam but remember that many posts on here are of the form :-
"What does this do?" or "Where is my MAF?" revealing many folks would have difficulty identifying vulnerable components under the bonnet of their Mercedes for a kick off.:dk:

Because it's dirty and dusty?

Open bonnet.

Examine dust, dirt etc.

Close bonnet accepting that engines aren't meant to be clean & do something more important.

If I'm looking at a car for sale & see a squeaky clean engine I immedately think 'Leak!'

Adam

Exactly , so you are a professional engine washer . I doubt the OP is one.

Personally i wouldn't let you ( pro or not ) wash under my bonnet , spraying water around but each to their own.

I think the same as Neil when i look at a car that is spotlessly clean under the hood - 'Where is the oil leak ?'

H

Open bonnet.
Take off engine cover.
Clean the engine cover.
Place engine cover back.
Close bonnet.
Have a cup of tea.

Exactly , so you are a professional engine washer . I doubt the OP is one.

Personally i wouldn't let you ( pro or not ) wash under my bonnet , spraying water around but each to their own.

I think the same as Neil when i look at a car that is spotlessly clean under the hood - 'Where is the oil leak ?'

H

I'm not a 'professional engine washer' I'm a Detailer/High End Valeter. If I'm not mistaken the OP asked for a guide to clean his engine... Instead of slating that it's wrong, I gave him one, it's what he wanted. I didn't tell him to do it or not to do it. Go to a dealers either maindealer or trader and 99% of the time they wash the engines, the goal is to make the whole car look new again not just the exterior and interior. If it wasn't safe then they wouldn't do it, as dealers hate paying for car parts.

To assume a car has had an oil leak just because the engine is clean is a tad old school nowa days. If an engine was spotlessly clean then it would be easier to spot an oil leak than if it was covered in muck. :)

If you didn't want anyone to touch under your bonnet then of course you have the right to say leave the engine as it's your car.

Example of why it's done.

Grotty engine before (would never sell as it was, how it got to be like that I'll never know)

SAM_2195.jpg

After

SAM_2200.jpg

Something a little more familiar

Before

SAM_2219.jpg

After

SAM_2224.jpg

Sets off and completes the rest of the car, some people like clean engine areas, but by the sound of it, most on here don't :)

Excellent answer from Adam87.

Indeed the OP asked how to clean ( not wash) and a clean engine bay will show up any problems before they become seious and also show a certain pride of maintenace. My Engine bay is as clean as the last picture (Actually the radiator is cleaner without the bugs blocking the airflow thru the core)and as near to how the car came out of the factory 7 years ago as possible:)

Radiators can be very fragile so would be a special request if it wanted doing. :thumb:

I have washed loads of engine bays down on customers cars (when I worked at MB) and my own and never had an issue. Just make ure the right cleaning product is used and the water is not forced into anything. The MB looms are very good at keeping water out.

I always dry the engine afterwards and use a water displacer such as WD 40 too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom