Is there a stone chip repair secret?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Peter103, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Peter103

Peter103 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E 350 Bluetec 9 G Coupe.
    Today I bought some Diamond Silver touch up, for a recent chip on the front of my E Coupe, thinking, it can't be that hard to make a half decent job of it, big mistake. So what is the correct procedure for what I thought would be a reasonably simple job? Any advice on DIY will be gratefully received. :(

2. bob6600

bob6600 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
    Take your time and build it up slowly in layers.

1 person likes this.
  3. clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W211 E320 CDI - W212 E250 CDI
    Touching up stone chips will never make them look perfect. Best method is to respray the panel. I had mine touched up by bodyshop they did it in a minute or so just with a paint brush dip and touch in. However will probably get the Bonnet resprayed in a while

2 people like this.
  4. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    Cocktail sticks, lots and lots of layers, and always resist the temptation to do one last blob. Your spider sense will tell you that the "one last" blob will be the one that ruins it, and always does, so don't do it. You will still do it though, human nature means we're risk takers. :D

5 people like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Peter103

Car:
    E 350 Bluetec 9 G Coupe.
    Thanks for replies I'll have another go tomorrow, Bobby'dazzlers cocktail sticks makes sense I'll try that, it is a tiny brush but still too big, will maybe take a picture tomorrow, if I can improve on it a bit. Currently hiding first attempt from Mrs 103. :doh:

1 person likes this.
  6. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    Silver is perhaps one of the hardest to disguise ... Give it a go then get the panel resprayed.

1 person likes this.
  7. andy27168

andy27168 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1997 C230K, 1999 C43/55 AMG
    Hi,
    I had a few stone chips on my CLS and as you I could never make a good job of touching them up.
    I was recommended by a detailer I know to use Chipex, though really sceptical I bought the kit followed there application method exactly and I was amazed at the results in my case they were invisible, the kit comes with everything you need.
    I since bought a kit for my other car as well.
    I cant recommend it enough, take a look at their website and the examples of people who have used the kit, it gets a big thumbs up from me.
    Car Touch Up Paint - 100% colour match guaranteed!

7 people like this.
  8. b1g1an

b1g1an Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Thug in a silk dressing gown
    I use an opened out paper clip, haven't seen a cocktail stick for decades :)

After giving the paint a good shake, pull the brush out until you see the blob that forms just before the bristles, dip your pointy object in that and then just touch it down in the centre of the chip, let it dry and then revisit if necessary.

A quick wipe with some alcohol to remove wax etc before you start is a good idea too.

1 person likes this.
  9. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    Wooden cocktail sticks work well. Not tried plastic cocktail sticks, but gut feel tells me they won't be as good.

10. ShaunB

ShaunB Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W213 Designo Hyacinth E63
    I've had reasonable success with a product called chipex in the past

11. Litcan91

Litcan91 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MB
    I've tried the recommended cocktail stick method a number of times, I'm not a fan to be honest, the touch up is not that neat & you will struggle to get an even coat across the chip.

I now use a very fine artist brush, bought from Hobbycraft, this simplifies the job and the results are much better than when using a cocktail stick.

In regards to loading the paint onto a brush, I use the original touch up brush to put a drop of paint onto an old credit / loyalty card and very lightly dip into this to load exactly what is needed for each chip.

As you put the paint onto the card, it will be very thin and difficult to load in a bubble form onto the brush, this will quickly start to thicken as it mixes with air, there is a perfect time to use the paint just after it has slightly thickened enough to load onto the brush, but is not thick enough to drag. As soon as it thickens to the extent of pulling like a string when you dip into it, drop a new dot of paint and start working from that.

Don't know how many chips you have, but if there are a number, start at the chip at the highest point first, so that your not likely to lean your hand into the section whilst touching up another chip.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    2 people like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Peter103

Car:
    E 350 Bluetec 9 G Coupe.
    A couple of chip pics.
    I've taken Andy 27168's advice and ordered some Chipex, watched the video and decided to go for it, gave the car a good wash today and found a few more , fortunately quite small, so hoping Chipex is the answer. We shall see. Thanks for all replies. :thumb:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  13. kam09

kam09 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E350cdi coupe sport obs black
    Take a look at ammo nyc videos for stone chip repairs on YouTube

14. exvolvoman

exvolvoman Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2004 C180k Estate & Volvo V70 T5
    Try Chipex, kit contains all you need. Had good results on my Jasper blue paintwork.

15. b1g1an

b1g1an Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Thug in a silk dressing gown
    To do the cocktail stick method you need to do it quickly while it is really thin, because they're not absorbent you can easily get a blob on the end, drop that in the chip and it self levels.

2 people like this.
  16. swale

swale Active Member

Car:
    c43 amg cab'
    chipex is very good!

much better than conventional touchup methods especially on hard to do colours like silver

17. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
  18. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    From reading the instructions, I think the 'blending compound' is what makes the difference here - otherwise the Chipex kit could be seen as an over-priced collection of paint (£5 off eBay), rubbing compound, a few tiny brushes, a sponge and a piece of microfibre cloth, i.e. all these are items that can be bought separately for much less.

The idea is the the blending compound removed excess paint while it is semi-dry, something that can't be done effectively otherwise.

19. such01

such01 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E350 CDI W212
    i gave up in the end with chipex, i have a chip on the boot, which took several layers of paint, but it all got removed with the blending solution!
    I tried many times, varying the drying time and blending pressure, but gave up in the end after much cursing!

1 person likes this.
  20. 100%Bitch

100%Bitch Active Member

Car:
    C216 CL500
    Thanks for the recommendation Andy, one kit ordered.