Is there a stone chip repair secret?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter103

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E 350 Bluetec Prem+Coupe.
Today I bought some Diamond Silver touch up, for a recent chip on the front of my E Coupe, thinking, it can't be that hard to make a half decent job of it, big mistake. So what is the correct procedure for what I thought would be a reasonably simple job? Any advice on DIY will be gratefully received. :(

Take your time and build it up slowly in layers.

Today I bought some Diamond Silver touch up, for a recent chip on the front of my E Coupe, thinking, it can't be that hard to make a half decent job of it, big mistake. So what is the correct procedure for what I thought would be a reasonably simple job? Any advice on DIY will be gratefully received. :(

Touching up stone chips will never make them look perfect. Best method is to respray the panel. I had mine touched up by bodyshop they did it in a minute or so just with a paint brush dip and touch in. However will probably get the Bonnet resprayed in a while

Cocktail sticks, lots and lots of layers, and always resist the temptation to do one last blob. Your spider sense will tell you that the "one last" blob will be the one that ruins it, and always does, so don't do it. You will still do it though, human nature means we're risk takers. :D

Thanks for replies I'll have another go tomorrow, Bobby'dazzlers cocktail sticks makes sense I'll try that, it is a tiny brush but still too big, will maybe take a picture tomorrow, if I can improve on it a bit. Currently hiding first attempt from Mrs 103. :doh:

Silver is perhaps one of the hardest to disguise ... Give it a go then get the panel resprayed.

Hi,
I had a few stone chips on my CLS and as you I could never make a good job of touching them up.
I was recommended by a detailer I know to use Chipex, though really sceptical I bought the kit followed there application method exactly and I was amazed at the results in my case they were invisible, the kit comes with everything you need.
I since bought a kit for my other car as well.
I cant recommend it enough, take a look at their website and the examples of people who have used the kit, it gets a big thumbs up from me.
Car Touch Up Paint - 100% colour match guaranteed!

Thanks for replies I'll have another go tomorrow, Bobby'dazzlers cocktail sticks makes sense I'll try that, it is a tiny brush but still too big, will maybe take a picture tomorrow, if I can improve on it a bit. Currently hiding first attempt from Mrs 103. :doh:

I use an opened out paper clip, haven't seen a cocktail stick for decades :)

After giving the paint a good shake, pull the brush out until you see the blob that forms just before the bristles, dip your pointy object in that and then just touch it down in the centre of the chip, let it dry and then revisit if necessary.

A quick wipe with some alcohol to remove wax etc before you start is a good idea too.

Wooden cocktail sticks work well. Not tried plastic cocktail sticks, but gut feel tells me they won't be as good.

I've had reasonable success with a product called chipex in the past

I've tried the recommended cocktail stick method a number of times, I'm not a fan to be honest, the touch up is not that neat & you will struggle to get an even coat across the chip.

I now use a very fine artist brush, bought from Hobbycraft, this simplifies the job and the results are much better than when using a cocktail stick.

In regards to loading the paint onto a brush, I use the original touch up brush to put a drop of paint onto an old credit / loyalty card and very lightly dip into this to load exactly what is needed for each chip.

As you put the paint onto the card, it will be very thin and difficult to load in a bubble form onto the brush, this will quickly start to thicken as it mixes with air, there is a perfect time to use the paint just after it has slightly thickened enough to load onto the brush, but is not thick enough to drag. As soon as it thickens to the extent of pulling like a string when you dip into it, drop a new dot of paint and start working from that.

Don't know how many chips you have, but if there are a number, start at the chip at the highest point first, so that your not likely to lean your hand into the section whilst touching up another chip.

Last edited:
A couple of chip pics.
I've taken Andy 27168's advice and ordered some Chipex, watched the video and decided to go for it, gave the car a good wash today and found a few more , fortunately quite small, so hoping Chipex is the answer. We shall see. Thanks for all replies. :thumb:

Last edited:
Peter103 said:
Take a look at ammo nyc videos for stone chip repairs on YouTube

Try Chipex, kit contains all you need. Had good results on my Jasper blue paintwork.

I've tried the recommended cocktail stick method a number of times, I'm not a fan to be honest, the touch up is not that neat & you will struggle to get an even coat across the chip.

I now use a very fine artist brush, bought from Hobbycraft, this simplifies the job and the results are much better than when using a cocktail stick.

In regards to loading the paint onto a brush, I use the original touch up brush to put a drop of paint onto an old credit / loyalty card and very lightly dip into this to load exactly what is needed for each chip.

As you put the paint onto the card, it will be very thin and difficult to load in a bubble form onto the brush, this will quickly start to thicken as it mixes with air, there is a perfect time to use the paint just after it has slightly thickened enough to load onto the brush, but is not thick enough to drag. As soon as it thickens to the extent of pulling like a string when you dip into it, drop a new dot of paint and start working from that.

Don't know how many chips you have, but if there are a number, start at the chip at the highest point first, so that your not likely to lean your hand into the section whilst touching up another chip.

To do the cocktail stick method you need to do it quickly while it is really thin, because they're not absorbent you can easily get a blob on the end, drop that in the chip and it self levels.

chipex is very good!

much better than conventional touchup methods especially on hard to do colours like silver

From reading the instructions, I think the 'blending compound' is what makes the difference here - otherwise the Chipex kit could be seen as an over-priced collection of paint (£5 off eBay), rubbing compound, a few tiny brushes, a sponge and a piece of microfibre cloth, i.e. all these are items that can be bought separately for much less.

The idea is the the blending compound removed excess paint while it is semi-dry, something that can't be done effectively otherwise.

From reading the instructions, I think the 'blending compound' is what makes the difference here - otherwise the Chipex kit could be seen as an over-priced collection of paint (£5 off eBay), rubbing compound, a few tiny brushes, a sponge and a piece of microfibre cloth, i.e. all these are items that can be bought separately for much less.

The idea is the the blending compound removed excess paint while it is semi-dry, something that can't be done effectively otherwise.

i gave up in the end with chipex, i have a chip on the boot, which took several layers of paint, but it all got removed with the blending solution!
I tried many times, varying the drying time and blending pressure, but gave up in the end after much cursing!

Hi,
I had a few stone chips on my CLS and as you I could never make a good job of touching them up.
I was recommended by a detailer I know to use Chipex, though really sceptical I bought the kit followed there application method exactly and I was amazed at the results in my case they were invisible, the kit comes with everything you need?
Car Touch Up Paint - 100% colour match guaranteed!

Thanks for the recommendation Andy, one kit ordered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom