Is there a stone chip repair secret?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A couple of chip pics.
I've taken Andy 27168's advice and ordered some Chipex, watched the video and decided to go for it, gave the car a good wash today and found a few more , fortunately quite small, so hoping Chipex is the answer. We shall see. Thanks for all replies. :thumb:

Only issue with these is they're on plastic trim? I would leave well alone and I don't think it'll have a colour code and will look worst.

I do my touch ins with a rolled up bit of masking tape.

The idea is the the blending compound removed excess paint while it is semi-dry, something that can't be done effectively otherwise.

Sounds much easier than I found it to be, trouble is mine was/ is quite deep, so been filling it slowly over time, but the wiping off bit is difficult, too soon its wiped out , too late, big bobble , so clean up and start again, I think that when I first started days ago the weather was not warm, that didn't help, today I've given it another go, and its been a bit better, though I now have a cunning plan, I've done as much with chip ex as I think I'm able, and now have topped it with a small blob of MB's colour coded touch up, which brings it very slightly above the original finish, will leave it overnight to harden up, and tomorrow attempt to cut it down flush. Imagine most of you are now flinging your arms in the air in horror, I am a bit, not least because not sure how to smooth it off, any suggestions welcome, if all goes well, will post a picture of my best attempt.Quite understand Sutch 01's post and I may well give up if it all goes t*ts up this time, good luck with yours MJ hope it goes well.

Chipex has a network of authorised pros (mostly I believe detailers who repair chips as an add-on). Being very unconfident of my skills with paint, I opted to use the one nearest to me in darkest Norfolk and am very glad I did. I'd read that it was impossible to make the chips disappear altogether, but this guy did so.

Yes it's an expensive way of dealing with the problem but still miles cheaper than going to a bodyshop, who will always tell you that the only solution is to respray the panel.

Chipex has a network of authorised pros (mostly I believe detailers who repair chips as an add-on). Being very unconfident of my skills with paint, I opted to use the one nearest to me in darkest Norfolk and am very glad I did. I'd read that it was impossible to make the chips disappear altogether, but this guy did so.

Yes it's an expensive way of dealing with the problem but still miles cheaper than going to a bodyshop, who will always tell you that the only solution is to respray the panel.

Are you sure? In spite of having already purchased the kit, I would gladly pay a professional instead of having a go myself... but could not find any reference to a network of authorised detailers/repairers?

Are you sure? In spite of having already purchased the kit, I would gladly pay a professional instead of having a go myself... but could not find any reference to a network of authorised detailers/repairers?
Yes. I found it through a recommendation on Pistonheads. Here's a link to the relevant bit of the Chipex website: You searched for norwich - Chipex Repairers Directory
I was (obviously) looking in Norfolk but I presume there are plenty of others.

Thanks. Interesting. Quite a few about in the London area... but none near the centre. Will need to make a decision whether I give it a go as DIY, or travel to one of the approved applicators.

Chipex.png

Chips Away is another good company to use. I used them once on my Scooby, very pleased with the result!

Chips Away is another good company to use. I used them once on my Scooby, very pleased with the result!

For stone chips? My chips away guy said it'd be pointless and better off respraying

+1 for Chipex - perfect color match & relatively easy to use

Sounds much easier than I found it to be, trouble is mine was/ is quite deep, so been filling it slowly over time, but the wiping off bit is difficult, too soon its wiped out , too late, big bobble , so clean up and start again, I think that when I first started days ago the weather was not warm, that didn't help, today I've given it another go, and its been a bit better, though I now have a cunning plan, I've done as much with chip ex as I think I'm able, and now have topped it with a small blob of MB's colour coded touch up, which brings it very slightly above the original finish, will leave it overnight to harden up, and tomorrow attempt to cut it down flush. Imagine most of you are now flinging your arms in the air in horror, I am a bit, not least because not sure how to smooth it off, any suggestions welcome, if all goes well, will post a picture of my best attempt.Quite understand Sutch 01's post and I may well give up if it all goes t*ts up this time, good luck with yours MJ hope it goes well.

OK... since I already had the kit, I decide to give it a go myself.

Unfortunately my experience was no different to yours.

The paint is quite thick, almost jell like, so it does fill up the chip or crack properly and leaves a nice blob of paint protruding above the surface.

The next step is to use the blending compound to remove the access paint and leave just the chipped bit painted.

Impossible... it either leaves a slight blob, or the paint it completely taken out.

I had 4 goes, then gave up.

In fact, using standard touch up paint will produce a better result, it will obviously not be perfect, but the standard touch up paint is slightly more liquid so will fill in the chip much nicer.

I suppose I could try and take it to an approved Chipex repairer next...

Will need to give it some thought.

Tip of the day :

1. Regardless of if your using Chipex or Standard Touch Up Paint....... try the following.

2. For small stone chips, don't use the touch up brush, use a tooth pick or something similar to apply the paint.

3. Don't try and complete the application in one go, just apply a single applications, allowing time for the paint to start to harden between each application/coat.

4. Having gradually applied each coat to the point where the repair is now slightly proud of the paintwork, allow the last application to fully dry, with chipex I find this happens to the point where the paint is workable after a period of about 1hr, for traditional touch up paint this can be much longer, and does vary with each manufacturer, I'd leave it overnight.

5. Once the blob of paint is fully hardened, get a tin of "Brake Cleaner" and spray plenty onto your finger (It evaporates quickly so you have to work quickly), and rub vigorously (But Lightly) over the blob of paint, continuing applying brake cleaner to your finger to keep it wet while rubbing your finger over the blob of paint.

6. You will gradually feel the paint blob flattening to the same level as the paintwork, once you are happy that the repair is now the same level as the paintwork, grab a cloth and put some wax/polish onto the cloth and apply it to the area you have just repaired, this seals the repair and helps prevent paint sinkage.

I've been using this procedure for many years and find it as good if not better than most of the procedures shown on youtube etc.

Obviously the larger the stone chip, the harder it is to get a perfect repair, but with time and practice and of course a paint that matches (This is half of the problem on many cars) it does work.

Using your finger & not a cloth to rub away the proud paint blob, allows for a much better feel, allowing you to match the paint height much better than using something like the fibre cloth included in the chipex kits.

I do however find the chipex paint match in most cases is very good and probably your best bet. But use you finger as opposed to the cloth, and brake cleaner as apposed to the solution included in the kit.

For me it works and has done for many years, you of course try this at your own risk.

Take Your Time doing it and you'll achieve a better repair.

Let us know how you get on...............................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom