Is there a way to unscrew this weird torx head without a special tool?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

isobars

Car
300SD'79, E300TD '95, 300TDT '82, 280CE '84, 250L '84, 300SEL LPG '91, 300D '80, 300CE '91, 300E '89
Hi all, I’ve not come across one of these before and I need to remove them so I can clean my MAF. Thanks in advance, Cheers, Paul.2329B1B1-E011-4231-846F-9B4E5A27150E.jpeg

A normal 'negidrive' (flat blade) screwdriver can sometimes be wiggled into all sorts of security screws, not to mention Allen and torx heads.

You can buy torx drilled bits for this exact issue

Doesn`t look like a torx as it only has five splines , opposed to six.

I dont imagine it would be too tight so if you cant get into it with a small bladed driver then a decent set of snips should grip it enough to remove it ten replace it with a normal cap screw.

K

Nothing wrong with cleaning the MAF.... but on a general note, when faced with a security bolt, do you stop and ask yourself why the manufacturer is trying to deter you from doing whatever it is that you have set-out to do...?

That's the kiddy, normally known as a STAR bit. as "Trickythemerc" says, don't mess about with screwdrivers, you might well break it

Nothing wrong with cleaning the MAF.... but on a general note, when faced with a security bolt, do you stop and ask yourself why the manufacturer is trying to deter you from doing whatever it is that you have set-out to do...?
"To make even more money out of you".... is sometimes, but not always, the answer. ;) As you say occasionally there is a really good reason.

"To make even more money out of you".... is sometimes, but not always, the answer. ;) As you say occasionally there is a really good reason.
Possibly.... there's another potential explanation, however (no disrespect meant to any forum members):

f.png

Get a set of bits. Cheap ones will be fine; it won't be all that tight. If you really must bodge it, get it started turning with a hammer and a small fine chisel, then you can use a small screwdriver to finish the job.

He doesn't need a torx bit.........:wallbash: He needs a penta something or other. Any how I thought a penta was summink to do wiv boats Guvnor. Better stick with what works best and that would be the proper tool.

Last edited:
I always thought they were known as ‘Torx Plus’ aka anti tamper/security Torx etc.

Five point drive and the centre pin are the key features of that fastener.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom