Is there a way to unscrew this weird torx head without a special tool?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Get the right tool for the job, jag have a similar protocol for brakes 9mm allen key which doesn't come in any allen key set to stop you doing them yourself

Thanks to all for the suggestions and technical advice. It’s very much appreciated.sorry for this late reply. I’ll buy the bit!!
Cheers

Bog standard 5 spline security Torx, your wing mirrors are held on by them .

Get the right tool for the job, jag have a similar protocol for brakes 9mm allen key which doesn't come in any allen key set to stop you doing them yourself
Vauxhall Astra circa yr 2000 has 7mm allen bolt , I personally have all that weird stuff , but I bet it has caught out a few DIY mechanics on a Sunday morning when they discover they need a 7mm allen key to change their brake pads and discover (surprise surprise ) local Halfords do not stock them :)

Big ****ing Hammer never fails :)

Seriously though, just buy the correct bit, it should be cheap.

I got these bits in a cheap screwdriver set from wickes about 17 years ago for about £6. They have these on the water pump that i replaced on the om651 engine.

Reading this makes me laugh.
Past experiences I suppose !
I/We were giving some exchange students from Mexico some Gringo work experience.
Melissio Oh Melissio a moving disaster on legs ,I swear I grew more grey hair thanks to poor Melissio. .

I asked him to remove the EGR valve on a OM647 engine , simple enough three E10 torx bolts, & clamp off the coolant hose .
He had the tools provided BUT not the tamper proof socket to remove the upper section which you are not supposed to touch.
I came back to see the whole bloody thing disassembled--Chico, Como has hecho aca? -what have you done here boy? --"Oh me gawd"!
Where did you find the special socket for this. I asked ?
I went diving through your tool chest -You did what!! (which is fondly called by me as My finest English leather bound brass buggery box !)
I had to read the riot act to him for rummaging through tech's tool boxes its a "no no" in Gringolandia.
It was just the start of a disastrous experience , what I do to pass on techniques to the future generation!!

Later on, I overheard him asking the fellow students in Spanish "I understand the word idiot -idioto but what is this meaning f--k--ing f--k--ing ?
English use it a lot"!! :D
Several years later at Lincoln Tech which we support and recruit from, I was was doing some of the diploma hand outs, and noted Melisso was on the graduation rosta .(OMG don't ask me how?)
As he stepped up the podium I played a portion of an Argentinian song Como Has Hecho by Los Tekis.
This is especially for you Melissio congratulations, and be careful with your work "Esto es especialmente para ti Melissio ten cuidado en tu trabajo" !
Tuercas viejas

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I call it "fettling," but that maybe because I'm the grandson of a boilermaker.

I always thought they were known as ‘Torx Plus’ aka anti tamper/security Torx etc.

Five point drive and the centre pin are the key features of that fastener.
+1 just buy it from toolstation or screwfix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom