Is there any allowance over the speed limit? ooops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
OK,

So the day started bad, people with little ones will understand. My turn to drop her off at Grandmas 30 mins away..

Left the house with little un and her stuff got a mile down the road (in a que) and I get a call from the Mrs, I've forgotten her clothes....aarrgghh

Round the roundabout back home to collect the clothes then set off again. Not really in any rush but doing the speed limits. Got to a two lane carriageway road near her Grandma's and its a 40 mph zone.

Plodding on pointing out sheep and cows to the little un when I spotted a camera van in the distance, Looked down at speedo and I'm on cruise at bob on 45mph (it just seems so slow in the truck..). Knocked it off straight away but I'm big enough to see so think he got me.

I know it my fault and hands up, but checking with the GPS on way back 45mph on my speedo is 42 / 43 mph on the GPS?

I also know that having an inacurate speedo is no excuse but what do the camera radar things work on? surely that will rear my speed at 42 / 43 mph

In which case is that still a ticket as it still over the speed :(

Even the little one looked sad when I droped her off as daddy looked say also.:(

The unofficial allowance is 10% +1 - so in a 40mph zone, it would be 44+1 = 45mph.

Most speedos always display a couple of mph more than actual speed, your GPS will be more accurate than your speedo. BMWs have the most accurate speedos and they usually display about 1 mph higher than you are actually doing.

42/43 in a 40 should be okay.

Cheshire is 10% +2, North Wales is 10% full stop!!

Oh well, will have to wait for a nice letter maybe?

I hope not feel a muppet, Its a road I have driven possible a thousand time over 10 years doesn't make it right I WAS still speeding.

Just feel better that I maybe ok though.

To be honest, setting cruise for 45 in a 40 is edgy, to say the least.

I'm not trying to be "holier than though" - I set mine between 75 and 79 on the motorway but I wouldn't expect to get done until well into the 80's.

Where was this? - there can't be many 40 roads that are free flowing enough, especially at peak times, to use cruise at all.

Hello

You probably will know the area. Its going up to Heswal past Gordale where its a 40 Zone with two lanes for a short time. This road is always free of Traffic even the 60 zone all the way up is good if you surf the lights :)

I admit I was wrong, and do feel bad. If I get a ticket then I've learnt my lesson.

i'd expect you will be OK. However you cant know for sure for a week or so (isnt it 14 days?)

I would try to put it to the back of your mind....

If I have any situation like this I mark it on the calender, then I can remember the date exactly if the NIP turns up late...

Depends if he/she got up out of the right side of bed.

I was stopped at 4 am a few weeks back. Raised my hands aloft
and pleaded guilty.

They smiled and said "take it easy Sterling" !!!:)

Be careful there - there's a guy on PistonHeads who went to court with his postman as a witness to say the NIP was late. Judge basically said he didn't care and fined him £200 + £255 costs.

He is appealing. Not sure I'd risk that.

Post is halfway down page 9:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=10&t=533717&i=160

thats not what im saying at all, if they have deamed they posted it with enough time to get to my house and it turns up late then thats my hard cheese, however my point was that a NIP has 14 days to turn up and being a busy person I cant always remember exactly what was going on 2 weeks ago as so much happens in a 14 day period which is why I write it on a calender,

thats not what im saying at all, if they have deamed they posted it with enough time to get to my house and it turns up late then thats my hard cheese, however my point was that a NIP has 14 days to turn up and being a busy person I cant always remember exactly what was going on 2 weeks ago as so much happens in a 14 day period which is why I write it on a calender,

Sorry. I construed another meaning in your post.

Be careful there - there's a guy on PistonHeads who went to court with his postman as a witness to say the NIP was late. Judge basically said he didn't care and fined him £200 + £255 costs.

He is appealing. Not sure I'd risk that.

Post is halfway down page 9:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=10&t=533717&i=160

It's quite interesting reading the pistonheads thread - I quite often read them and find it a very educating and informative insight into what gets put as 'legal' expertise and advice on this and similar websites. I guess it all comes down to the individual and whether it's 'hands up - I did it" or "how can I get out of it?".

The NIP has to be served on you within 14 days (registered post to registered keeper's address suffices) and if you don't receive it does not mean you will not be prosecuted. Along with the NIP there should be another form with a requirement for you to say who was driving the vehicle at the relevant time and place.
I'm sure from your original post you would never consider say someone else was driving as you seem quite philosophical about it but some drivers/riders do (and get away with it) but if found out this would move it from a simple motoring offence to one that carries a custodial sentence if convicted.

I drive over speed cameras generally doing 5 mph over the legal limit because i know my (and everyone else's) speedo is slightly over what the real speed is.

Never got a ticket while doing that. :D

I also know that having an inacurate speedo is no excuse but

Well.

Back in those halcyon days of America's NMSL (National Maximum Speed Limit) of 55 miles an hour, it was required that all the states showed at least a 50% compliance by its drivers, or they'd not get their Federal monies for highway maintenance and construction.
California never made the minimum. They told the Feds that, "Well, y'see, these people really think they're doing 55, but their speedometers are in error and so it's not really their fault."

I presented this to a judge for a speeding ticket, and told him I had no idea if my speedometer was accurate, and that if my State was allowed to use this excuse to its regulating body, then it would be only just if a citizen of that State were to ask to be excused on the same grounds.

Case dismissed. :D

I drive over speed cameras generally doing 5 mph over the legal limit because i know my (and everyone else's) speedo is slightly over what the real speed is.

So far I haven't got a ticket while doing that. :D

fixed that for you :)

it's worth being careful because we've checked both of our cars against the GPS

at an indicated 30 mph in the E320 the GPS reads 28 mph and the E55 reads 29 mph - not much margin for error there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom