is there any way to find out what auto transmission these are?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AbbieCadabra

Car
E350CDI
if it sounds like i know what i'm talking about, trust me, i don't! so all help will be greatly received.

i need to buy a small'ish car to tide me over in Cornwall until we make the full time move there in roughly 2 years time. only needed for short journeys, perhaps 150 miles per month. it has to be an automatic as i can't manage a manual due to problems with my back, so my choice is narrowed down somewhat.

i've spoken to a relative who runs his own garage & he's told advised for my budget of £2,500-£3k max, I should be looking for an early 2000's Corolla, or possibly a Civic (but not with the CVT transmission as they are known for faults when older). i've found a few 2002-2006 cars, for this age will they have the CVT box? what about a Toyota Auris of a similar age?

i know a used car of this age is pot luck & how well it's been maintained etc., i'm just trying to make the best choice i can for what we want to spend.

thanks for any replies :)

What about a fiat panda automatic [ dualogic ]- essentially a manual box shifted hydraulically. Quite high for getting in and out. peanuts to run.

What about a fiat panda automatic [ dualogic ]- essentially a manual box shifted hydraulically. Quite high for getting in and out. peanuts to run.

can't say that a Panda has been on my radar at all! it might be a little on the small side, there's only 1 on auto-trader within travelling distance so likely to be very limited availability.

How about a MAZDA afaik their automatics were of the conventional type?
Mazda2 1.4 Ts2 Automatic 5dr

i had found a low miles Mazda2, but it was a bit older than ideally wanted & it had accident damage. do they have same parts as Ford? been advised not to look at Fiesta/Fusion, which i'd initially thought as ideal, as auto box very poor.

The fiesta /fusion autos are CVT I think. Although the MAZDA 2 is based on the same floor pan think most components are different- unusually for a Japanese brand sold in the UK they are actually are made in JAPAN !!

The fiesta /fusion autos are CVT I think. Although the MAZDA 2 is based on the same floor pan think most components are different- unusually for a Japanese brand sold in the UK they are actually are made in JAPAN !!

Ford/CVT makes sense with what i've been told. i was just looking at Suzuki & they seem to have a crossover with a few other marques. i'm beginning to understand that my mission to find a runabout is a bit more complex than i thought!

that's for replying :)

Its difficult because these cars are "world models" and their powertrain specifications may vary according to market/ manufacturing plant.
A japanese market model may differ from a USA model for example. The Japanese did appear to favour CVT boxes from the mid noughties [ 2000-2009] possibly because of their better emissions profile over torque convertor boxes. Conventional and CVT automatic boxes would probably be made by AISIN
List of Aisin transmissions - Wikipedia
To be honest your best bet is simply to go on the sellers car description

I know NOONE will agree but IMO for 3k you could do a lot worse than this:

Vauxhall Astra 1.8 i 16v Life 5dr

Cheap to maintain and run, with a sturdy, tried and trusted AW autobox, good old-fashioned slushbox that should go on forever, no error prone CVT or "fake" electronic clutch jobs.
I've had a few VXs down the years and yes, they are not the world's most dynamic cars but they are far better than ****wits like Clarkson make them out to be.

Its difficult because these cars are "world models" and their powertrain specifications may vary according to market/ manufacturing plant.
A japanese market model may differ from a USA model for example. The Japanese did appear to favour CVT boxes from the mid noughties [ 2000-2009] possibly because of their better emissions profile over torque convertor boxes. Conventional and CVT automatic boxes would probably be made by AISIN
List of Aisin transmissions - Wikipedia
To be honest your best bet is simply to go on the sellers car description

thanks :) i've found some useful info now on the HonestJohn forum, people asking similar. just need to get my head around what type of gearbox they're talking about now as they're obviously all far more knowledgeable than me! i'll work my way through the info later...

I know NOONE will agree but IMO for 3k you could do a lot worse than this:

Vauxhall Astra 1.8 i 16v Life 5dr

Cheap to maintain and run, with a sturdy, tried and trusted AW autobox, good old-fashioned slushbox that should go on forever, no error prone CVT or "fake" electronic clutch jobs.
I've had a few VXs down the years and yes, they are not the world's most dynamic cars but they are far better than ****wits like Clarkson make them out to be.

thank you :) it's not something i'd choose to drive, but this is just 2 years of me getting from AtoB! £280 road tax is a bit hefty though...

after the 2 years, we're likely to be getting rid of our lovely E350 cabrio as diesel won't suit us down in Cornwall, I've got my eye on one of these beasts at the moment (but that could all change in 2 years :D )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom