Is there any way to rescue a car in the scrappage scheme?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
Today I saw a one owner 'J' reg Austin 1300 with 30K miles in pretty near immaculate nick, & that's mighty unusual for a nearly 40 y.o. 1300, which had been sent to it's death in the scrappage scheme. In a darkish almost French blue with a grey interior it still looks fresh inside if you can imagine that & doesn't have any rust. It is very clean.

I'm not a fan of the model particularly but I must say I think it's insane that a car such as this is going to be destroyed when it should be in a museum or living on with an enthusiast.

Anyone know if it can be saved?

It all comes down to paperwork. The dealer will have various forms it needs to process to confirm the manufacturer and government funding. Also the V5C will need to returned to the DVLA to declare the vehicle as scrapped.
If any of this isn't completed yet, and the owner of the vehicle will agree to a private sale, then there's always a chance! :)

If the car is historic or worthy in the eyes of the DVLA then after a no doubt laborious process it can be saved after being "scrapped".

Whether or not the 1300 can be saved, well it's got to be worth a try!

Last edited:
Pay ther dealer enough cash before they get a COD certificate for its disposal and its likely to be yours.

Once the certificate has been issued I think its too late though.

From what i hear a local scrapyard is being "naughty" with scrappage cars, containers, and eastern europe......

Simple answer is that you must make the call tomorrow morning.

Time is your main enemy

It wasn't Basil Fawlty's car ? - THAT would be worth saving !

I thought that once the paperwork with the customer was signed it was illegal to do anything other than cube the scrapper?

Amongst VW people this has come up several times as mint 1-owner low mileage stuff turns up at scrapyards and the owner won't even let people strip the interior for fear of the Man from the DTI. There's been some anguish over this, some really really desirable stuff has been traded in for way less than an enthusiast would pay. Little old dears swapping Mk2 Golfs for Picantos :(

Maff should know, he used the scheme and might have paperwork relating to it.

Today I saw a one owner 'J' reg Austin 1300 with 30K miles in pretty near immaculate nick, & that's mighty unusual for a nearly 40 y.o. 1300, which had been sent to it's death in the scrappage scheme. In a darkish almost French blue with a grey interior it still looks fresh inside if you can imagine that & doesn't have any rust. It is very clean.
They used to rot like mad underneath (subframe and mounts). Unless you've had it on a ramp I wouldn't state it has no rust!

My first car was a J reg Austin 1300 (in red).

It was........................crap :p

My 124 is being scrapped tomorrow. You have to send in copies of all of the documents relating to the car in advance, and the dealer applies to the scheme to see if the car is eligable. Once this has been approved then I guess it has an appointment with death and I'm not sure if it is beyond the point of no return. When I drop the car off tomorrow I hand in the original docs and that's it done.

The car can be broken for spares before being crushed, the same as any other car at the breakers.

With so many cars being put down for SS however, a lot of cars won't enjoy this fate and end up straight at the crusher.

A bloody great shame if you ask me. A lot of the cars could make way more money if they were sold to people who want a cheap car than the breakers will be giving.

The car can be broken for spares before being crushed, the same as any other car at the breakers.

I have heard the opposite when calling breakers for parts last month.

It seems that is happening, but it wasn't supposed to - the intention was that the cars would have the fluids removed etc and then be crushed.

There's a bit of a row going on as engines are being resold and the green lobby is getting upset as one of the alledged aims was to get rid of older more polluting engines.

Of course keeping an old car going is far more environmentally friendly than building a new one, but that point seems to be lost on many people.

I have heard the opposite when calling breakers for parts last month.

It seems that is happening, but it wasn't supposed to - the intention was that the cars would have the fluids removed etc and then be crushed.

There's a bit of a row going on as engines are being resold and the green lobby is getting upset as one of the alledged aims was to get rid of older more polluting engines.

Of course keeping an old car going is far more environmentally friendly than building a new one, but that point seems to be lost on many people.

Hmmm, interesting :confused:

I've heard quite a few stories of cars being broken for spares.

If I put a plastic bottle in the wheelie bin, I'll get bollocked, but if I want to recycle car parts then I can't. That definitely sounds like a government idea! Maybe they don't grasp the fact that I'm not on c£100k a year like they are and want to save money. :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom