Is there anyway of removing etched Numberplates off windows?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello

Following the purchase of my Brothers A class it has the number plate etched on the outside of the windows.

I good security method I guess but since they have put a Private on it without them to most people it does 'look' like a new car?

Is there any way of removing it?

I thought only way would be to have XXXXXX etched on top or similar? as it burnt into glass.

Any ideas? or just leave it as it is.

Thanks

You can get a rectangle etched to cover the registration but imho it tends to prompt more questions than the vanity issue it resolves...(certainly with Police, some Traffic Wardens, PCSOs etc)

When the private plate is removed, DVLA rules are now that it will return to the original plate, so I would suggest leaving it as it is.

If anyone gets their windows etched, the last 7 digits of the VIN are generally a better security measure, though having the plate on the windows does allow nosey neighbours and 12-year-olds to exercise their detective skills....:rolleyes:

Hello

It is purely for snobbery reasons we will agree. There not that bothered either way but thought I would ask. If there was something that could be done?

Thanks

I reckon no-one else will ever notice the etching unless you're got a reason to (eg if you were buying the car or a police check etc).

If the only option is to etch over with a rectangle I think it'd be better left as it is :)

At least as Swiss Toni has mentioned, when they sell the car in the future it'll have the correct registration mark so will match up.

Will

I remember loads of "moody" 190Es back in the day having wrong reg numbers on the windows "well its had a plate guv " just didnt wash!

Wife has had her private plate on loads of cars over the years and all have gone back onto the original plate.

Lynall

I remember loads of "moody" 190Es back in the day having wrong reg numbers on the windows "well its had a plate guv " just didnt wash!

It did used to be the case that when returning to an age-related plate you just got the "next one on the list" (and there was a list of plates set aside for such a use).
Now the car goes back to its original plate (most of the time, there are exceptions - eg where the car came off its age-related plate prior to 1980 so there may be no reliable record of what the original plate was).

There is still a series of plates set aside for imports requiring an age-related plate.

You can take the etching off with a particular acid and then machine buff the glass not cheap but can be done can find out more if you wish

just leave it - no one will notice. And even if they do - so what?
You will do more damage potentially messing with it. Of course there is the ultimate method......:)

Hydrophloric acid will etch the glass, not sure how you would stop it running and etching much more besides!

Plus, get it on you fingers and, well, no pain and no signs, until it reaches your nerve sheath and then A&E might be able to save your hand/arm....

Leave well alone. No one will notice...

Hydrophloric acid will etch the glass, not sure how you would stop it running and etching much more besides!

Plus, get it on you fingers and, well, no pain and no signs, until it reaches your nerve sheath and then A&E might be able to save your hand/arm....

You mean Hydrofluoric acid.

You mean Hydrofluoric acid.

You are quite correct, I tried spelling it numerous ways but I think the numerous glasses of Russia's finest didn't help :eek: :D

Thanks all.

Think they will just leave it probably easier :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom