Is this a 'dodgy maf'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wintonc180

Car
W203 C180 Kompressor saloon
Hello all,

Having probs - Engine running rich bank 1.
Before - Engine running lean bank 1. This problem I found the PCV hose under the airbox perished. Changed it then engine running rich.

Unplugged MAF and drove only fault was showing that the MAF low circuit. My understanding faulty MAF. So I thought give it a clean before buying new. Took MAF off today and had a look, it was looking pretty clean. However I noticed when examining it the 'prong' that extends to the centre of the housing with the contacts on had resistors soldered across them, ( is this correct?). Then opposite this 'prong'' were two terminals which had blobs of solder on but nothing else. Plus the body only had a number RF5WK9638, PBT>6F30< on the side of it. What I am getting at, it did not look OEM. No markings on the top where the wiring harness plugs into it.

Could this have been an eBay special, that people have had probs with before?. I have only had this car since June so previous maintenance barring stamps in the book is unknown.

Looking to buy a new MAF in the hope this solves all.

Any feedback as to whether this MAF was 'dodgy' would be great. Well peace of mind for me that a new one will sort my current problems.

Thanks.

Not sure but I think I have answered my query.

Saw a maf on ebay and was able to enlarge the picture. On it I saw that from the two contacts there was a probe, this is missing from mine. (Looked like a bulb shaped head on wires).

Any confirmation that a 'probe' should be present would be great.

Got a new MAF today, a Siemens VDO.

Compared new one and faulty one. New one the contacts had filaments across them, where as old one had resistors.

Anyway fitted new one and taken car for a quick 10 mile drive - no more management light.

Possibly previous owner fitted a cheaper item.

Hopefully back to happy days.

Got a new MAF today, a Siemens VDO.

Compared new one and faulty one. New one the contacts had filaments across them, where as old one had resistors.

Anyway fitted new one and taken car for a quick 10 mile drive - no more management light.

Possibly previous owner fitted a cheaper item.

Hopefully back to happy days.

Bosch is the correct MAF for your car:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom