Is this a fair price?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jwarren

Car
C350e
Hi, I am selling my W0203 C200K (03) plate and am asking £7,250. I have searched ebay, dealers, private etc etc and the range of prices are astounding. I am not being greedy and the car is pristine, would be grateful for your comments on true value, not book as part x, but as a private sale. I have made my own website www.mercforsale.co.uk as it was easier to do this and then just whack it into lineage in the papers etc!!

Not punting it here on the General Board but would welcome your thoughts on what I should be asking? The website says £7995 but that is because its in the magazines etc and this was based on 2 or 3 similars, but not too sure?

Thanks

You've certainly presented the car as well as possible, but I haven't a clue about the price, I'm afraid. All I know is that second hand car market is very quiet.

The problem to many prospective purchasers, I suspect, will be the basic spec of the car - manual, cloth, no alloys. But for those who don't mind that, this looks like an excellent one-owner, full history car.

The advice I would give would be:

How long has it been for sale?

Have you had any/many viewings or offers so far?

Do you need to sell it within a specific time frame?

Any car will sell for the right price, you can achieve higher prices sometimes if you are willing to find the right buyer, otherwise your car will need to be as good as, or better than the competition, and more importantly - cheaper!

I think that with the manual gearbox you have a much narrower market for the car - probably 75%+ of people looking to buy an MB would demand an automatic.

Will

The Vx site says about £6k for max trade-in - +20% for private sales comes to £7.2k, so probably about right.

As above, the basic spec may be an issue with some, esp the gearbox...

Credit where credit is due, that is a very nice advert and the price appears about right but....... with all the proviso's that have already been expressed.

Well done regarding the advert and good luck with the sale.

Regards
John

Thank you for your quick responses. I know it has the basics, no leather / alloys etc and I guess I tried to reflect that in the price I am looking for, I would happily accept £7k and it is mechanically (as far as I have been told) perfect! Actually pretty gutted to let it go!

Thanks again

How are you marketing it? Have you put it and the link to your website in all the usual free places, PistonHeads etc etc?

If it is priced correctly it will sell, it looks a very nice car, well looked after with good history. I would be happy to buy from somebody like you who obviously looks after their car.

No leather will put a lot off, but there will be some out there who do not want leather and will be OK with that, and I think you have that reflected in the price.

Marketing and patience and the right price, and it will sell!!!

Excellent ad, will you do one for me?!! I don't think the price is will be an issue to someone who wants manual and cloth, the problem is that few will want such a spec, if you see what I mean.

That ad is exceptional, way better than some traders. Do you do such things professionally? If not, perhaps you should consider it :)

some of the pages arent working for me..

as above, great ad, wish i had the time to devote such time and webspace to every car i sold...

IMO the price needs to be a little lower as you are fighting against higher spec cars and manuals are difficult sellers in any case..

I would say try £6990, but really £6490 may be a tad more realistic...

Lovely condition. Nice to see you have kept all the receipts. :cool:
A bit odd to see that you went to great lengths to ensure full MB service history but then used kwik fit to replace the brakes :confused: (brakes are important right?), i can understand using them for the a/c recharge though.

There's a 2003 C240 Elegance SE Auto with black leather for £6,750 on autotrader and a 2003 C180K Elegance Auto with 40k miles for £6,995. I'm afraid yours might have to swing below the £6k mark to sell. It's the penalty for not having the right spec i'm afraid.

Let me know if you want to let it go for £5k if you get desperate ;) . Would be a shame that you kept a car in that good condition for it to fall into the wrong hands :mad:

Personally, I would add a few interior pics, and an engine pic

Great ad, but a number of the links are broken. Exterior, MOT, Equipment and Contact Me all do not work.

-simon

Hi, I am selling my W0203 C200K (03) plate and am asking £7,250. I have searched ebay, dealers, private etc etc and the range of prices are astounding. I am not being greedy and the car is pristine, would be grateful for your comments on true value, not book as part x, but as a private sale. I have made my own website www.mercforsale.co.uk as it was easier to do this and then just whack it into lineage in the papers etc!!

Not punting it here on the General Board but would welcome your thoughts on what I should be asking? The website says £7995 but that is because its in the magazines etc and this was based on 2 or 3 similars, but not too sure?

Thanks
All your links work fine for me. Great advert.

But you say it is a 5 door. I assume it is a 4 door saloon.

The mileage affects your price a fair amount. At 50k miles it would get £6790 in average condition and £7500 in excellent condition (like yours I assume) in part ex according to Glass's Guide with your spec and that is for a manual version.

At 70k miles the figures drop to £5,950 and £6,560 and at your actual mileage of 80k miles the book says £5,480 as part ex and £6,060 in excellent condition. So private sale you should get around £7k or more. Patience? A bit of sunshine and Easter coming may bring out the buyers. Is part ex out of the question?

My son in law sold on e-bay and got better than Glass's Guide for a Focus. With a reserve.

SOME people prefer manuals (not me), but it has been said to me before. So all is not lost.
As with all cars, all it needs is one punter who takes a shine to it and the deals done.
You might be surprised at the number of punters who dont shop around - they see a car and buy it. Just like that.....
Good luck with the ad...........all the links work for me...........

BTW......climate control is listed twice on the home page.......

Last edited:
Thanks for all your comments - very kind, and as much confusion on price also! I have dropped it just below £7k.

No I dont do ads for a living, I thought, lets bag a domain at £6 - whack it on one of my sites and use that as a shop window. When it comes to putting lineage in papers it is per word, so thought this a cheaper option!

Once I have sold the car, more than happy to put other MB clubs cars on there, links on the left for the car type and same layout for the pages, all you need to do is the pics and email them to me with write up and contacts etc etc.

Thanks again for your comments.

Lovely condition. Nice to see you have kept all the receipts. :cool:
A bit odd to see that you went to great lengths to ensure full MB service history but then used kwik fit to replace the brakes :confused: (brakes are important right?), i can understand using them for the a/c recharge though.

I had a sudden brake issue and Kwik Fit was bang opposite where I stopped, they did it there and then, just as good quality, same pads and they guaranteed them for life, so when I needed new discs, they did the pads free - see the receipt, why pay more ehh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom