Is this a record?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

x332race

MB Enthusiast
Advertised my car Sunday evening.....sold Tuesday evening! Never have I sold a car so quickly....recession; what recession!!

It was a 2000 CLK 320 Cab.

Perhaps I undersold it (I don't think so looking at autotrader), but I got a lot more than the trade in values I had been quoted.

Selling cars and logic are not linked.
Its always just a matter of seller and buyer bumping into each other at the right time and at the right price.
If the chap that did buy it had not bought it, it could have sat on your drive for the next 3 months.
Mind you, its certainly the right time to sell a cab................
Good to hear some news other than gloom and doom for a change................

My mate has a second hand car business and he is still selling a lot of cars it is all fairly new cars with no rubbish.:thumb:

Selling cars and logic are not linked.
Its always just a matter of seller and buyer bumping into each other at the right time and at the right price.
If the chap that did buy it had not bought it, it could have sat on your drive for the next 3 months.
Mind you, its certainly the right time to sell a cab................
Good to hear some news other than gloom and doom for a change................

That's not all....I actually had two people chasing me to purchase the car...both seemed desperate to purchase it!!

Sunny weekend + desireable Cabriolet + well worded ad + sensible price = Quick Sale ;)

Seriously, there's much truth in Verytalldave's comments but I had a similar experience selling my wife's Saxo a couple of years ago: Submitted ad to Autotrader on Monday evening, sold car on Wednesday and could have done so three or four times over. Similar cars that I considered were "pushing the envelope" pricewise were still being advertised a month later.

Great news.

We sold our old caravan almost immediately which made us think we may have pitched too low, as we thought it may take a while.

We managed to get twice as much as we were offerred in part-exchange, although to be fair we could have removed a few extras if p/x-ed.

We got what we wanted for it, it sold quickly, we didn't have to spend much on advertising, and they got it for a good price - so everyone's a winner.

As suggested, timing of buyer and seller coming together is critical though.

A few years ago I speculated on a registration number, which I was likely to sell on. I tried several times, and got little interest except silly offers.

I decided to give advertising it one last go, and it sold the same evening with a Buy It Now on ebay, around midnight on a Friday - apparently a good time for impulse buys!! ;) :D

midnight on a Friday - apparently a good time for impulse buys!! ;) :D

replace "impulse" with "drunken" .. :)

hey, a next door neighbour of mine bought a mini convertible whilst drunk one friday night, had to sober up the next day to go and collect it.

I also think it helps massively if you create a decent advert.

I'd go as far as to say you could make a good profit buying and selling anything on ebay not just cars. Buy cheaply from a poor auction advert and sell often for a healthy profit by taking the time to create a really good auction page.

Most things I've sold on ebay I have got top dollar for.. just because I put a little time into creating the auction... and timing it right too so that the auction ends at a time when it can get most hits.

Advertised my car Sunday evening.....sold Tuesday evening! Never have I sold a car so quickly....recession; what recession!!

It was a 2000 CLK 320 Cab.

Perhaps I undersold it (I don't think so looking at autotrader), but I got a lot more than the trade in values I had been quoted.

Depends on the car as well....good cars that are piced reasonably will always get snapped up.

I saw the pics of your car and it did look very nice, and obviously priced to sell :)

Well, we looked at Parkers price guide and then at what was advertised on Autotrader and came to a hapy medium...we really did not want the car hanging around too long and we got a lot more than trade value! I think the buyer got a good deal as well (I hope!) Happy all round.

according to a trader in car mechanics there is a shortgage of good modern cars at present.

because UK cars are cheap compared to mainland europe (exchange rate), there is massive demand for British cars from overseas, and they even see it as a status symbol driving a right hand drive car.

This in turn is causing a shortgage of good cars in UK for UK buyers.

So, perhaps next time advertise your car in the french/german autotrader ?

There is such a drastic shortage of used stock it is frightening.

I went to auction last night and there wasnt 1 car for me.

A "PROPER" CLK cab will always fly away if the price isnt greedy.

Good Job, good timing.

I put my 600 bandit on gumtree (free) about 9pm mon night, tues morn 9am i got a call, 40mins later the buyer came and paid cash, only knocked me down £50 as well...never had such an easy transaction.

Was just pure luck that he had been looking for one locally and mine popped up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom