Is this a scam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Received this today. Is it a scam. I have not heard of these people!

We recorded a payment request from 'fasthosts.co.uk - hosting' to enable the charge of £3.90/month to your account.

If you made this transaction or if you authorize this payment ignore this e-mail message.
The payment is pending for the moment.

If you didn't make this payment and want to decline it, follow this link and complete the process to cancel the payment.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Scam, never click any dubious links or open and unexpected attachments pretending to be invoices or remittances etc. just hover over the link with your mouse to reveal the actual irk which is probably a dodgy one.

There seems to have been a large increase in this Shyate over the last 6 months.

S

PS Forward it on to your neighbour ;)

^ My anti virus won't open the link. Reckons it's phishing site to steal your info.

Fast hosts, I think, is a site who will host your website....... if you have one.

yes, it is a scam. It takes you to a fake HSBC website.

yes, it is a scam. It takes you to a fake HSBC website.
Which if you use it will help to illegally rip off the British taxpayer to the tune of tens of millions of pounds.

Hold on! that's the REAL HSBC website that does that.

So many scam email out now its frightening...easiest way to check as above and hover over 'from' email addy to see if its genuine or not...

My BT yahoo account was hacked a few months ago, now every month or so multiple emails are sent out from a remote site, have changed my password many times:confused:...BT tell me there is nothing that can be done as its 'spoofing' other than close my account and start new addy...point is I have no idea how it was hacked as I never click on dodgy links, but researching the net seems BT yahoo have many issues....

BT info
Spoofing is a technique used by spammers where an email is sent with a forged 'From' address, in this case yours. With spoofing, emails are made to look as though they come from you, although in fact they don't. If your contacts were stolen when your account was initially compromised, spammers can send emails to your contacts by forging the sending address.

It's relying on the fact that as popular fasthosts are as a hosting company, the vast majority of people won't be using them. So you'll click the "I did not authorise this" link where you'll see a similar but fake banking website, if you also happen to bank with that bank, then you might be fooled into trying to log in. If you do, you'll have just given your login details to the third party who'll be promptly logging into your account and transferring your funds to offshore accounts.

Banks now do things like send auth codes to your mobile when you're transferring money to avoid this. If the dodgy third party logged in to your account, and tried transferring your funds elsewhere, you'd get a phone call with a code. If you tell the call you didn't authorise this, it'll lock your account, kicking them out, you can then get your password changed, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom