Is this a virus

Discussion in 'PC and I.T support/Advice posts' started by artyman, May 23, 2012.

1. artyman

artyman MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C 200 CDI Sport
    I've just had AVG alert me to a program that wants to run

Windows Command Processor is requesting your permission to run
    C:\Users\Ken\AppData\Local\Temp\dwemgqvyfgcvgsyu.exe

Just looked in the folder and the Icon looks like text on a page with flames, rather worrying!

Is this a virus trying to get in. Just scanned it with AVG and it came up clear.

2. KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    Whatever you do, dont click on an exe such as this. delete it

3. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
  4. hitenhirani

hitenhirani Active Member

Car:
    w204 facelift C250 Petrol
    Delete it!!!! It may well start a root kit or zero access threat! 40 pc's rebuilt at work due to similarly named files.
    Check your startup folder.
    Xp: all users and any user profiles
    Windows 7: \appdata\ and public profiles and programdata folders...

5. OP
    OP
    artyman

artyman MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C 200 CDI Sport
    The loader exe was in my Startup folder, restarted in Safe Mode, delete all instances of it and edited the registry. Could have done without that wasting my time. Wondering how it sneaked past my AVG

6. John

John Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    I wish.
    It's a constant race amongst AV providers and between them and the turd community.

So not all products will detect everything everytime.

It's certainly worth running a mix of your preferred AV product and as recommended, something like Malware Bytes (which isn't memory resident i.e. running all the time).

If you run a full scan of each after ensuring they are up to date, and they find nothing, that doesn't guarantee you don't have anything but it means it is less likely.

As a preventative measure, ensure you apply all Windows security updates promptly to avoid anything from using security loopholes in Windows to become a squatter...

7. verytalldave

verytalldave MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200K Cubanite
    Malwarebytes gets my vote everytime. Its usually the one piece of software that will detect and remove malware and infections.
    A friend of mine's PC was badly infected and I even had problems downloading the software as the malware was looking for this to be downloaded and tried to prevent installation. Once installed and after three scans the PC was fine.

1 person likes this.
Tags: