Is this cheap?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

Spotted this oil today and thought it was cheap at £9.95. Or is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, its a well known brand. I always reckoned that if I was going to drive the car hard (by that I mean high revs or a lot of stop start town work)and have 10000 + mile oil changes I would go for a good synthetic. If I was planning on 5000 mile oil changes with light use (motorway) I would use cheaper oil (as long as up to manufacturer standard).
Just put 7 qts of 5w/20 Quaker State oil in the Dodge @ $12.95 a gallon (yes, still on proper man measurements here, ft, inches, Lbs, ounces etc. etc. :D) but I'll only leave it in there for 3000 (ish) miles as per the manufacturers oil change interval (yep, I know :eek:)
I'd go for it :thumb:
(Having said all this, the last time I changed the oil in a Merc belonging to me was, errr...never, lol. I'd be constantly listening for "funny" noises)

I cant tell what it is from the picture. If we could see the spec on the back it might provide a clue.

10w-40

Not a bad price , but only SEMI synthetic - not suitable for vehicles that require fully syn. Probably ok for your dodgy old bangers though !:dk:

* ACEA A3 / ACEA B4
* API SL / CF
* Mercedes MB 229.1
* VW 505 00

Apparently it is rated with the above but... having read this post elsewhere, it may not be what it says on the tin.

Joe90_guy
Until recently, I used to design crankcase oils for a living (Castrol GTX, Shell Helix Super, Total Quartz etc).

Gulf (the well knownUS multi-national oil company) died a death decades ago. However the Gulf brand is now owned by an Indian company called Hinduja. They used to blend a lot of their oils in the Middle-East. This looks like one of theirs.

Even for a bog standard SL/CF 10W-40, £8.99 is a very good price for a 4L can of oil. If this truly meets A3/B4 & MB 229.1 then it's even better value as such and oil would need to contain more expensive additive and more synthetic base stock to meet these needs. They question is does it? There's a lot of oils out there where what's written on the side of the can doesn't really bear scutiny. Sadly there's no way the average bloke in the street can tell unless you run a lot of tests.

* ACEA A3 / ACEA B4
* API SL / CF
* Mercedes MB 229.1
* VW 505 00

Apparently it is rated with the above but... having read this post elsewhere, it may not be what it says on the tin.

Good find Sp!ke, trust anything that comes out of India let me think for a nano second :D

Talking of India again, and indeed old brand names, one of my favourite adverts there (handpainted) was for Exide Ironclad batteries - complete with 100% useless guarantee.

Marvellous.

Does this make it any easier to tell if it's cheap?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds cheap to me but I woudnt use crap oil on a car that has done above 100K, be safe and use what MB recommend,

That is if you are going to use it on your motor.

Sounds cheap to me but I woudnt use crap oil on a car that has done above 100K, be safe and use what MB recommend,

That is if you are going to use it on your motor.

To be honest, I couldn't tell you which oil my car uses, I just thought this seemed a good deal...:eek:

Im not one for willingly wasting money, but, why spend '000s on a car and look to save '0s on the oil 'protecting' it (similar argument for brakes, tyres, etc).

Not saying this is what the op is trying to do, but it is something that has always befuddled me..so..seems that if it cant be shown to be good enough then give it a wide berth.
With saying that 'out here' there seems to be a different philosophy with oil/changes. Service interval for wifes brand new Mazda is 7k, with oil changes recommended every 5k, greater than 7 voids warranty, regardless of oil used. Got change from $30 at main dealer for an oil change just a few weeks ago, must be using chip fat at that price...on the other hand, oil change on the clk was a rather different experience....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom