Is this compatible with my CLK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gizmo750

Car
Audi TT
Does anyone know if this model number will work in my CLK?

208 820 3785?

It is a Comand head unit

Would appreciate any advice

Thanks

this thread may be some use to you:

Navigation head unit

Is your car a facelift model or not? That ultimately decides which comand models will easily be fitted to your car.

Also...this should be in the electronics forum!

Apology

Shude,

Sorry for the incorrect posting of this thread. My car is a pre facelift model January 1999.

I am trying to get an idea of what will and will not work with my car and I am not very technically minded. I would like to upgrade to Comand but am trying to get all the info I need before either I decide to A. buy from someone who can also fit for me or B. buy a unit from ebay and then get all the fitting instructions and a list of all the parts I will need.

Thanks

Re: Apology

Originally posted by Gizmo750
My car is a pre facelift model January 1999.
Then for ease of install you would be better off with a pre-facelift w208 comand, or a w163 comand (no CANBUS connectivity).

The installation would require you to:

cut a big enough hole in the dash for comand
install the gps antenna somewhere (cabrio - dash, coupé - rear shelf or roof)
tap the speed pulse wire (already in the ISO...hopefully)
slide the comand into the dash
step back and admire :)
possibly ask a friendly stealership to activate some stuff.

If you want the CANBUS capable comand (which may or may not work):

cut a big enough hole in the dash for comand
install the gps antenna somewhere (cabrio - dash, coupé - rear shelf or roof)
tap the speed pulse wire (already in the ISO...hopefully)
install the CANBUS wiring
change the steering wheel
change the instrument cluster
slide the comand into the dash
step back and admire :)
possibly ask a friendly stealership to activate some stuff.

That's the basic story. The facelift comand is a little cooler because it has the steering wheel button control and the little display in the instrument cluster.

Sounds simple when you say it like that :D

So, will part number 208 820 3785 fit my car then? If not which part numbers am I best off looking out for?

Thanks

PS Still unsure as to what the devil CAN-BUS is and does :confused:

PS Still unsure as to what the devil CAN-BUS is and does :confused:

Me too, but lookee here :) ... then explain it to me in words I can understand :rolleyes:

Oh GOD! ! !:crazy:

Took one quick look at that site and my brain melted! ! !

All I want to know is if the 208 820 3785 Comand can be put into my car and function fully (and if not what part numbers to go for on good old Ebay) and if I need to worry about CANBUS seeing as I have no sterering wheel controls etc.

Anyone, this is making my head hurt. . . . . . . .

from what I know about CAN technology it works something like this.

At the heart of the system is a logic circuit/brain that "talks to" various points of the network - think of the human brain and the nerve endings. The brain is the Bus and the nervous system is the CAN.

Information is bounced backwards and forwards and monitored by the brain which decides how to react to the information it receives.

It's almost artificial intelligence as the electronics are making the decisions and can sort the various reports into a prioritised list (ie a major fuel leak it monitors will take preference over a slight overloading of the rear suspension) but not quite as they are responding with pre programmed responses not actually making their own mind up how to react.

Does that make sense to anybody?

Andy.

Originally posted by andy_k
The brain is the Bus and the nervous system is the CAN.
Convention dictates that the brain is the CAN and the nervous system is the BUS, AFAIK ;)

Oh GOD! ! !:crazy:

Took one quick look at that site and my brain melted! ! !

All I want to know is if the 208 820 3785 Comand can be put into my car and function fully (and if not what part numbers to go for on good old Ebay) and if I need to worry about CANBUS seeing as I have no sterering wheel controls etc.

Anyone, this is making my head hurt. . . . . . . .

Try checking here

Hope it helps :)

hi gizmo i am sure this unit will work, at worst you will need to buy a can bus simulator.

I recently fiited a unit to my brothers 98 clk, this was a e class unit 5689 that we used a can bus simulator with.

the speed pulse is on the iso pin 1, you have to cut the slot out between the 2 din holes.

you will also need to get a unit with mounting clips for the clk.

If you bet a 208 unit it will have the clips, e class units wont.

i hope this makes sense

cheers

kenny

The newer cars have CAN and D2B . The W211 not has the MOST bus instead of D2B .:D

Can is a wired network and D2b and Most are fibre.

Just saying:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom