Is this conservatory quote too expensive, please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kingofthehill

Car
MB
Hello,

I have received a negotiated quote of £32,000 from Everest for the following specification conservatory;

- 6m X 3.5m
- uPVC framed
- 600m base brick wall around the full conservatory
- One side wall in full brick
- Piling foundation
- A step
- 1 double door and 1 folding door between the internal room and conservatory
- Removal of bay window
- Relocation of two external drains

The property is in Watford, Hertfordshire.

May I ask if this is a reasonable quote? Might anyone know what the cost of an equivalent 'glass room' extension might be, please?

Thank you!

It's costing you £1,532.00 per sq mt, that is very expensive........

Get another quote from a reputable company. Or ask a good builder.

My father built one recently of a similar size for circa £8k. Sourced the units through the trade and did the work himself. Not comparable but let's you understand the material cost.

Never rely on one single quote. Always ask three or four companies to give you quotes.

While you want to avoid the most expensive, also avoid the cheapest if it seems ludicrously cheap, because there might be a hook in there somewhere.

For example, on a conservatory quote we had some years back, three quotes came in around the 4 grand mark, while one came in at £2,000, with a £1,000 deposit. My stepfather decided he liked the look of the cheap offer, against my better advice, and paid the deposit. That was the last he saw of that money, as the company went in to liquidation.

To be honest, you definitely need independent builders or conservatory people to quote you. They can see the layout and what exactly it is you want.

There's a fair bit of work to do, but Everest has gone the most expensive option.
Another window company or builder should be able to this for about £20k

That is way too high,i see in the quote they are doing a piling foundation,is your house built on reclaimed land? You have to be very carefull if your house has normal 1m foundations or even 2 m if near trees,you might find all sorts of questions asked if you sold the house with piled conservatory,the most common foundation is deep strip,cost with the concrete about £3,000,you do find that some people will only have 500/700mm foundations on a conservatory as the weight going onto it given say 8 brick high wall and plastic panels is not much and so the cost of the foundation goes down.

Without knowing the lay of the land that you want your conservatory on no one can say for sure.
The main thing here is you get more quotes in and check and ask the questions if you are unhappy.
Everest have always been the one of the most expensive company in the market

How much was your original non negotiated quote from Everest?

You should be able to reduce it by 50%.

It does seem expensive to me.

Everest are a nationwide company that spend a lot on sales and marketing which customers end up paying for. That said they do seem backup their product in the event of things going wrong down the line- but then their margins will cover that anyway. Always a good thing to put out feelers locally for local firms who may be competitive. Many may be specifiers/installers and are acting as agents for larger manufacturers who make the stuff. Guarantees on material defects are often traceable back to the manufacturer and may well remain extant in the event of a local installer /agent firm going under affording a measure of protection. Local word of mouth should not be underestimated. Knocking on someones door round the corner to "admire" their conservatory often elicits the owners honest appraisal of the quality of the conservatory they bought but be on the lookout for the customer who is delighted on the surface but reluctant to admit they made a poor choice of supplier.

As advised always get several quotes taking care to make sure you are comparing like with like. For example in your quote you make no mention of any internal finishing of what was the external wall or the whether the roof is glass or polycarbonate?

Many small independants are in fact installers/agents for a larger organisations/manufacturers such as VEKA Composite Doors | UPVC Windows | Conservatories - VEKA UK and in the event of the installer going bust still offer a degree of long term protection.

So my advice would be to go for a midrange quality locally based installer firm and avoid the pricy and cheap ends of the market. Local word of mouth end user recommendation is invaluable

I have a 4.5mtr x 3.5 mtr conservatory cost less than £14k with dwarf wall reflective glass, roof vents and 10 opening windows at the top, price included, soakaway, external double glazed door to lounge, a pair of full sized french doors, all plastering flooring etc.
It looks lovely but it's too bloody hot in summer and bloody freezing in winter.
My advice would be don't get one, we can only comfortably use ours in spring and autumn.
Go for an extension with lots of extra windows but make sure it's properly insulated and has a proper roof. Everest are silly prices, get a decent local builder once you have consulted someone regarding the most suitable building for your exacy requirements.

SPX said:
I could build a small bungalow for £32k.

Or two in your neck of the woods ;0))

Some years ago I had Everest in to quote for new windows. Biggish job - about 23 windows, iirc. The guy puttered around our house for hours and hours - eventually at something after 11.00pm I sent him on his way to come back another day to finish his measuring up.

They finally came up with a quote of £60k for wood frames or about £35k in UPVC. I laughed, and eventually got the work done (in UPVC) by a longstanding reputable local company for about £12k. Having turned down Everest I then got a call from their 'national sales team' telling me that they could do me a MUCH better price, and started quoting something in the low £20k region. At which point I'm afraid I had a bit of a sense of humour failure and explained that even had I not awarded the work elsewhere there was no way I would ever deal with a company who had already proven their willingness to rip me off to that extent.

Don't think I'll be calling Everest ever again!

I got 3 quotes for new guttering, facia and soffit in UPVC. Everest were wayyyyyy higher than the other two companies. Their product may be quality, but you pay a high margin above other companies for the name.

Everest by name Everest by price!!

£32K really:eek:...I would have laughed out loud and asked them to give you a serious quote...then gone elsewhere, obviously Everest are part of the money extraction scheme which seems to operate widely in the UK:rolleyes::crazy:

Whilst £32k may seem a lot, it depends on the quality of the finished product. My 4m x 4m conservatory cost £18k approx. 10 years ago but it still looks like new, cheaper conservatories use inferior parts and hence after 10 years need replacing. I used a company in Dunstable called Kingsholme who are still trading today so that tells you something. My in laws had a conservatory built that was a bit larger than mine and cost half as much, guess what they have had nothing but hassle with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom