Is this normal when booking in at main dealers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lfckeeper

Car
Bmw 5 series (Former W203 C class and 2x W219 CLS owner)
I vowed never to give Mercedes Teesside another chance, however, sensibly, I began to think alienating myself from my local main dealer who are almost literally at the end of the road is a bit silly.

So, with my rear springs needing changing I've decided to give them another chance (the fact that he price matched my best quote helped).

I called them today, they took payment (which in itself was unusual IMO) then said "we will give you a call to book it in when the parts arrive" ?!?!

Now, if Id have booked it in with Halfords I could have probably had the car in tomorrow, is this normal practice for MB dealerships?

About right for MB Teesside. Apart from the parts dept, I genuinely wouldn't let them walk my dog around the block!
Like yourself, I have given them the benefit of the doubt on more than one occasion but do not and will not use them, other than buying parts (if I cannot buy them cheaper form other dealers online).
Mine is currently having discs & pads changed from my indy (MB Darlington), Chris who owns and runs it is an absolute gent and his customer service is brilliant. Ironically he lives in Ingleby! :)

Pretty much standard practice for any non stock parts ordered in. This to prevent the scenario where someone orders parts from an MB dealer parts counter and having obtained the part nos goes off and sources them cheaper elsewhere leaving the dealer with parts in stock they won't get rid of for months.
ps this applies to parts only not to any subsequent labour charges!

Last edited:
I don't think that I'd pay for a job which has not yet been carried out or even booked yet. Once they have your money in their bank account, they lose the interest to provide the service that they need to provide.

Make sure that you chase them for a date and if that is not suitable for you, take your money back!

Not sure about 'normal' practice though have noted that as I usually wear scruffy jeans and t-shirt when going to dealers (Swindon), I have always been made to pay for the parts before they will order.

MB Manchester ordered in a new thermostat for me over the phone without taking payment.

Very much depends on the part. Non service items or special orders need payment upfront.

Very much depends on the part. Non service items or special orders need payment upfront.

We've come across independents doing this if they don't have the car in - but I'm surprised a MB dealer would do it - particularly for someting like a spring or brake discs/pads.

Springs would be special order, VIN specific. I doubt you'll pay up front for discs and pads, as they are a service item. Unless it's an AMG of course...

Springs would be special order, VIN specific. I doubt you'll pay up front for discs and pads, as they are a service item. Unless it's an AMG of course...

From my understanding the OP is booking the job with MB, rather than just buying the parts. If this is the case, I don't see a reason as to why they should charge for anything prior to getting the work done.

Yep normal practise, your best quote must be quite expensive if they are prepared to match it.

I recently changed a spring, £92 all in, £62 for a Mb oem spring and £30 cash in hand to a mechanic friend.

I would offer that discs and pads likely to stock or high turnover items over several models with the exception of perhaps some of the AMG models. With Mercedes elaborate points system for spring rating cars are individually rated according to the equipment fitted meaning no two cars will have exactly the same springs except by pure co-incidence. :dk:

whitenemesis beat me to it

From my understanding the OP is booking the job with MB, rather than just buying the parts. If this is the case, I don't see a reason as to why they should charge for anything prior to getting the work done.

Even if MB are doing the work they require parts payment up front as they have to order them in. The customer could still walk away before the booking is due

Even if MB are doing the work they require parts payment up front as they have to order them in. The customer could still walk away before the booking is due

I haven't had this response when dealing with parts of £800+ in value...

However I have been asked for card details when ordering lower value parts alone, from the parts dep.

Yep normal practise, your best quote must be quite expensive if they are prepared to match it.

I recently changed a spring, £92 all in, £62 for a Mb oem spring and £30 cash in hand to a mechanic friend.

£320 for both sides

About right for MB Teesside. Apart from the parts dept, I genuinely wouldn't let them walk my dog around the block!
Like yourself, I have given them the benefit of the doubt on more than one occasion but do not and will not use them, other than buying parts (if I cannot buy them cheaper form other dealers online).
Mine is currently having discs & pads changed from my indy (MB Darlington), Chris who owns and runs it is an absolute gent and his customer service is brilliant. Ironically he lives in Ingleby! :)

Just spoke to Chris, once MB Teesside refund the money back I paid this morning (if they do?!?) Im booking in with the guys in Darlington, cant beat a recommendation from others when dealing with a repairs IMO.

Our local dealer requires up-front payment for parts ordered to take away, but if they are fitting them, payment only on completion.

This is what happened with my TPMS on the winter wheels.

Ernie

I would have thought TPMS valves would be a stock part?

Then things have become even more absurdly complicated than they used to be.

Back in the day when my W211 went in there were what - 3 or 4 categories of suspension. My indy had no issue with having to preorder them - they were normally expected to be ex-stock from the local dealer's parts department.

I do despair at the way manufacturers seem to allow the number of variations in relatively straightforward parts multiply so much.

Sytner in Gloucester ordered a new speedo/display unit for me and I wasnt' asked to pay up front but the car was left with them for repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom