Is this one of us?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flying haggis

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS shooting brake, SWMBO has B class
Looks like his insurance will get more expensive at renewal time

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have no pity for anyone caught using their mobile at the wheel, but at the same time I am slightly concerned about the new breed of self-appointed vigilantes who believe that the helmet cam is a shield of armour allowing them to engage with members of the public and safely challenge them.

I have no pity for anyone caught using their mobile at the wheel, but at the same time I am slightly concerned about the new breed of self-appointed vigilantes who believe that the helmet cam is a shield of armour allowing them to engage with members of the public and safely challenge them.
On a few cycling forums helmet cams and helmet lights are quite frowned upon due to safety implications.
After reading a few horror stories I took my light off.

The AMG GT driver appeared to take it well. Many wouldn’t.

I wonder how that kind of “caught on camera” vigilantism stands from a privacy perspective?

Interesting comment:

"I *just about* get why people might wear a helmet cam for commuting, in case of idiot driving etc. But for sportives? for ski-ing? why??? I cannot imagine anything duller than sitting down to watch the footage of you riding/skiing something yourself..."

Young people! They clearly didn't live through the sixties and seventies, when friends and family were expected to endure hours of sitting in a dark room watching hundreds of Kodak colour slides of a trip to India or Thailand.... :D

The AMG GT driver appeared to take it well. Many wouldn’t.

I wonder how that kind of “caught on camera” vigilantism stands from a privacy perspective?

Good point. My guess is that if you're doing anything in a car with transparent glass windows (and even more so if the window is open as was the case here) on a public road, you can't claim that you had 'reasonable expectation of privacy'. But it's just a guess.

From the numerous police shows I've watched over the years, whenever there is a question from a crim about the TV camera crew, they crim always gets advised they can because they are "filming in a public place".

So I would assume if you are out on the public road, you are fair game even if in your car.

Don't know for certain either though.

Good point. My guess is that if you're doing anything in a car with transparent glass windows (and even more so if the window is open as was the case here) on a public road, you can't claim that you had 'reasonable expectation of privacy'. But it's just a guess.
I really don’t know the answer but intent is probably the difference. I’m quite happy to filmed as I go about my daily business because the intent is not to video me specifically, I’m just passing through.

I would not be impressed if someone specifically went out of their way to record me without my permission. Their intent is what makes it o jectionable.

After reading a few horror stories I took my light off
A wise decision, IMO.

Motorcycle helmets are smooth and round so as to minimise the torque that an impact can apply to the head/neck. Why anyone thinks it’s a good idea to stick a cantilevered arm from it that can dig in and increase the torque from an impact baffles me 🤦‍♂️

If anyone wants to record footage while they’re riding, the safest place to mount the camera(s) is either on the bike, or with a chest harness. Never on the helmet. Same with lights.

From the numerous police shows I've watched over the years, whenever there is a question from a crim about the TV camera crew, they crim always gets advised they can because they are "filming in a public place".
FWIW, while it’s legal to film others in public places in the UK, other countries specifically outlaw it on the grounds of privacy.

For instance, it’s illegal to use a dashcam in Austria for exactly that reason.

As a cyclist and a motorist, I would call the cyclist a "self-righteous little ponce"
I don't use a phone while driving - Not even a hands-free.
I see more red lights jumped by cyclists in Leeds in one day than I have seen by motorists in 10 years.

This had to be on a Sunday ...right ? Never have I seen such wasted space as the very wide and practically deserted cycle lanes run alongside similarly wide and just as deserted pavements while cars Q up , stop starting their way along a single narrow lane.

Probably different in rush hour. But in rush hour our vigilante would have to deal with white van man ......

And yes , I have seen this guys posts before . There was on eIIRC where he was told to 'go back to South Africa' or something along those lines. He denied being South African , He might be from Zim or Botswana , but boy , does he sound like a Saffie to my ears.

I think it high time that an insurance, and tax , should be bought out for cyclists .Looking at all the work thats been done on the roads , just for the bikes to be used in a safe manner .

I think it high time that an insurance, and tax , should be bought out for cyclists .Looking at all the work thats been done on the roads , just for the bikes to be used in a safe manner .

I agree, but at the same time I don't see this happening, because and form of extra cost placed on cycling will reduce the uptake, at least to some extent, and this is contradictory to current policies around health and the environment, which are to encourage cycling as much as possible.

I cannot stand cyclists and ones with camera even more.

You can see from the video that he's explicitly trying to 'catch' people - he looks into every car as he goes past it. It's not just a question of recording his ride.

Interestingly a friend of mine recently received a NIP for Careless Driving from Thames Valley Police ... this was based on helmet cam footage from a cyclist. Turned out he'd passed him at a junction without giving a minimum 1.5 metres clearance, which TVP apparently considers to be Careless Driving (not sure how this would stand up in court as there's no specific distance given in law or the Highway Code). He then got a follow-up letter saying no action would be taken in this instance, so maybe just scare tactics. Cars/bikes/motorbikes/etc. must surely pass within 1.5 metres all the time in heavy rush hour traffic? Going past a bicycle at 60 mph would be somewhat different though.

This old chestnut again. I can't argue against the insurance comment, third party insurance is readily available through British Cycling membership etc and could save the cyclist a fortune if they were responsible for damaging a vehicle / person. Why wouldn't you protect yourself from such financial risk. How you would police it though I have no idea.
Tax cyclists? They likely already pay tax into the general taxation pot just as (some) motorists pay into general taxation through RFL. What about all those small cars registered between 2001 and 2017 that pay no "Road Tax"? surely they are adding to congestion far more than the odd cyclist (or cycle lane) AND causing more wear and tear to the road. I for one pay plenty of taxes, including RFL on three vehicles but choose to cycle wherever possible, indeed I have payed VAT in the region of £1000 buying bikes in the last five years. Should I really pay more tax than a small hatchback does simply to ride my bike?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom