Is this original or unlikely?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dokalj

MB Enthusiast
Hi all,

I hope everyone is well.

I was looking at the engine bay of the W169 today and noticed some poor painting.

I am not sure if the car has come from Mercedes like this or if the front has had a respray, the bolts all look untouched.

I have also noticed some threads at the back of the engine bay that do not have nuts on them?

Please see attached.

Thanks

dokalj

Last edited:
Thanks KillerHERTZ,

hmmm, obviously that is not what I wanted to hear.

I thought that, however the bolts all look factory, some even have the primer showing in the middle of the bolt.

Not so sure that is a respray just a reflection on the way they come from the factory nowadays.
Are not the unused bolts pre fixed already for options that could
Have been fitted to cars for different markets/countries

25085d1312480151-original-unlikely-bonnet-7.jpg

I must say that this spray pattern does look very odd for a factory-original finish...

Is the car silver?
Could it be an after market anti rust treatment?

Not so sure that is a respray just a reflection on the way they come from the factory nowadays.
Are not the unused bolts pre fixed already for options that could
Have been fitted to cars for different markets/countries

Cheers scillyisles,

I hope that is how they come from the factory these days. I will ask my dealer.

Good point about the bolts, they look to me that they attach to something unless it is just the body they are fixed too.

Thanks

25085d1312480151-original-unlikely-bonnet-7.jpg

I must say that this spray pattern does look very odd for a factory-original finish...

That is what I thought. The bolts that I can see that fix the bonnet to the hinges all are untouched, however the centres of them look slightly white. :dk:

It doesn't say much for MB quality on the A-class.

Thanks

Is the car silver?
Could it be an after market anti rust treatment?

Hi,

Unfortunately the A-class is black.

Could the rust treatment still be white?

TBH it looks like what it is. The spray gun has missed those areas.

Silly electronically controlled robots!

Thanks

Hi,

Unfortunately the A-class is black.

Could the rust treatment still be white?

TBH it looks like what it is. The spray gun has missed those areas.

Silly electronically controlled robots!

Thanks

The panels as primed are the grey/white paint that you see. When painting the bodyshells in the finished colour at the factory they start by applying basecoat colour by holding the bonnet open and as such the spray pattern you have got looks very like what I would expect.

The panels as primed are the grey/white paint that you see. When painting the bodyshells in the finished colour at the factory they start by applying basecoat colour by holding the bonnet open and as such the spray pattern you have got looks very like what I would expect.

Well the bolts look untouched imho and I understand what you mean.

Would warranty correct this for me? Or would they show me the door?

dokalj

If this is indeed MB factory finish -

Then we are not amused.

:(

I think a little more digging may be the order of the day.

Does/should the bonnet not have sound-deadening panels (which would normally cover up the actual bonnet sub-structure)?

Do your door/tailgate hinges look similar?

If it is a factory finish, then it is indeed very poor - even for an MB :)rolleyes:).

I will be visiting the dealer soon. TBH the bolts all look genuine and the doors. The gaps are the same between the panels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom