Is this terminal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sam496

Car
c class 2.2 estate
2004 model C class 2.1 diesel auto.
For quite a while now the change up from 2nd to 3rd has had a small rpm flare. Yesterday the condition worsened as I accelerated to pass a truck on a slip road, engine revs went up dramatically with no drive. Off the throttle and back on was like it was in neutral. Pulled back in behind the truck (luckily not in traffic) thinking that I had lost all drive, put it in neutral and back into drive and all was working again. Continued another 30 or so miles. I don't normally use the kick down or accelerate hard so it's not a big problem.

Is it terminal, when it did it it sounded like a manual jumping out of gear.

It may be going to scrap if it needs another transmission.

Thanks in advance

Check the ATF level, get codes read.

It could be the electroplate in the 'box on the way out, or at least the speed sensor. Not horrendously expensive if it is, perhaps £300ish

Or the valvebox inside - what you describe is called "Flaring" and is the valves inside the box "shuttling" for position...hence flaring,

1/ Try as others say, a service on the box - autos need love to y'know..

2/ Where are you located? A valvebox is £500+ if needed...

drove it home today over 100 miles back out on the 2 to 3 shift (could be 3 to 4, as it is so smooth). the flare continues, I could use it as a manual and shift it at a bit higher Rpm. once its in top gear is sings along nicely.

Main problem is I need a good tow car, I have used this but next year my trailer (not caravan) will be near 28 feet long in total and go around 2200 KG. At the moment i have a van as well as this.

maybe its time to get rid of both and buy a decent 4 x 4 ??

I've just become a pensioner as well so could do without running two vehicles..

I'm just outside the M25 on the north side to whoever asked ..

thanks for the replies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom